1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is so much blatant lying permitted here ...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickberry, Oct 18, 2007.

In the last few months the small stream of expired domains being sold, in a manner that is clearly conservative with the truth, has turned into a flood.

Sites and links are been sold with the principal selling point of the sites age, there strong backlinks and there toolbar pr. And I have the impression that in many cases the seller is simply either ignorant of what he is selling, or is not being honest. Either way, the sites for sale and links sub forums are flooded with these offers.

To understand why I consider these expired domains a problem in this context I will give it a shot at defining .....

What is an expired domain ? (I would happily see my following description updated and improved)

They are domains not renovated by there owners, and the registrar automatically renovates them with there own owner register details.

At first the registrars did this with the plan of being able to charge large fees to the original owner should that owner wish to reclaim the domain name that they let expire.

However, registrars have found that its profitable to renovate ALL expired domains automatically given the values some reach in expired domain name auctions.

What happens to these expired domains backlinks? Well the search engines wipe the slate clean and these sites start from scratch in the eyes of search engines. This wiping the slate clean can take weeks or even several months.

In fact, yahoo is almost always the fastist to clean an expired domains backlinks. Google normally takes a couple of months at least to clean an expired domains backlinks. (that mismatch is a great way to spot expired domains been passed of as the real thing).

How do the search engines spot these changes in ownership? Well there ICANN registrars themselves, which gives them access to all new domain name purchases and changes to register details.

So first question:

Is there some agreement on the above description? (I am open to been proven wrong and learning new stuff!)

If there is general agreement, why are we allowing all these threads to thrive here at DP? Particularly if one takes into account the way these domains/sites/links are been sold as valuable, aged, authority backlinked, ect ... when that is blatantly false.

patrickberry, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    Nima likes this.
  2. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. I just give them neg. infractions, nothing else that I can do (I sometimes post on their thread too).

Nima, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  3. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hey, stop lying, you are a big liar!!!

ahkip, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  4. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Nima,

happy to hear I am not completely wrong!

Part of the problem results in real clients spending more and more time filtering through other peoples misleading thread titles, and worse, misleading sales pitch. Resulting in lease use of these great forums by those valuable potencial clients.

5. Edynas

Edynas Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree...maybe a sticky to a good whois tool that will show if a domain is ddropped or not.

I sold once a site build upon a dropped domain but clearly stated it and I think that is the way to go.

Edynas, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  6. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    Care to expand, or explain that?

7. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    Hi Edynas,

yes i agree proper disclosure is the way to go.

But part of the problem seems to be that many sellers prefer not to understand what they are really selling, particularly since they consider it an attack on there income stream.

8. daled1

daled1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whats the best way for us newbs to tell if a site is an expired domain?

daled1, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  9. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    ask the seller. the honest ones will come through for you adn tell you its an expired domain. (and then promptly tell its never gonna lose its backlinks!)

My personally expirience is normally they answer that its not a dropped domain! clearly avoiding the real question.

I suspect the best way is to ask for domain register bills.

10. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i was just joking:D, the problem is, anyone can call you a liar

i agree with u, BST is a mess. but who can judge a if someone is lying? Even if you report a thread, mod need to research to see if your claim is real. And it is impossible due to the size of DP

it is sad..but there are no solution

you can't blame people hiding information, that part of business

ahkip, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  11. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    i was mention these things(more or less) in the dirctories section and i got mostly insaulting responceses and a lot of red.... :)
    i thnk that the buyers are also guilty as the sellers.
    every domain have a value (droped or not) and it is usefull for something or someone,the development is the key to droped or not domains to be a good site or not and always saying the truth i am sick of luyers around here... ;)

scoobby, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  12. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    Hi ahkip,

Ok, so we both agree its a problem.

I am not saying everyone lies, or that most sellers lie. No.
    But it is clear that many have an economic reason to not change.

What has me most frustrated os the genuine lack of knowledge of what an expired domain is, and how the search engines treat them.

Another worry is the impact this has on the usefulness of the sales forums. There so bogged down by this rubbish....

13. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    Hi scoobby

Yes they do. BUT the seller insists in calling it an authorty site, link .... and old.

So its the lack of disclosure, or lack of honesty thats a problem.

Normally its the community that drives these sellers out of the market ... does not appear to happen hear.

In fact as you pointed out, its a problem to try to ´´out´´ these fraudelent sales threads.

14. z00pedup

z00pedup Peon

Best Answers:
    Well its either this or go the SP route and charge for auctions... and you know we all dont want that

z00pedup, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  15. Marty_

Marty_ Banned

Best Answers:
    The best way I find is to do a Google search as explained above it can take Google many months usually within 3 to wipe the domain.

Should you even find the said site, check the Google cached to see when and what the content looks like against what the seller is fobbing off.

Another method would be a simple search of archive.org again look at the content.

Of course dropped domains can be an advantage if they where good in there day, you can always re-open the site with the original scripts and possible content. Which inevitable in theory would gain back a ranking with backlinks

Marty_, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  16. alexts

alexts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you are going to buy an expiring domain it is extremely important to check for google and yahoo backlinks.This is the general rule that I follow.

alexts, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  17. patrickberry

Best Answers:
    wow,

someone descided to give me one of those red box things (a penalty) for posting in the wrong area of DP.

Surely the sales area IS the right area to post in. duh.

And those that lie, falsely advertise go on imune, whilst I try to place a spot light one a problem in the marketplace at DP, get penalised and these posts will get buried in the general chit chat!

wonderful.

18. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's called freedom of speech :D

The most you can do is use the report button ;)

anions, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  19. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so you are saying i have to learn Moo talk, just so i understand the Cow, to sell a hamburger at burger king?

would you buy a Rolls Royce Car, with two wheels and handle bars? No; you know thats not a real car right? why? because you did your homework and aint dumb enough to fall for spin like that.

the old adage is buyer beware. that has not changed in 1000's of years, why do you want to change it now? if people are dumb enough to buy shit then leave them to it, it is not a crime to be a fucking idiot.

samantha pia, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  20. Marty_

Marty_ Banned

Best Answers:
    Now theres a thought, get the new rookie staff member at McDonald's to go down to Burger King and ask "The boss wants to know if your ok for burgers today" :D

Marty_, Oct 18, 2007 IP