1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did the search engines devalue directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by shahab6, Oct 17, 2007.

I had high ranks in the search engins by just submitting to directories, but now they are gone. Did anyone else lose rank in the search engines?

shahab6, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Interesting. What directories were you using? Google is on a mission but so far all they have done is to penalise a few of the worst scammers.

workshop, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Correction there is no equivocable or any other source of official information anywhere on the net that G or indeed any other Search Engine has penalized any Directory

Lets make that crystal clear

The directory market is being subjected to a lot of rumours and mis-information but can assure you that all well run and organized directories are doing just fine

There are some un-qualified issues with G and indexing but other than that the search engines and the directories are very much a part of the Internet matrix

britishguy, Oct 17, 2007 IP
    pipes, Dubz and maldives like this.
  4. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    And there is absolutely no truth to the rumours that Google put their Q3 update on hold after trying to warn off the directory owners that were selling PR.
    And what pray is a well run and organised directory? One thats been "heavily" promoted, that used to sell PR and which curently has an un-qualified indexing problem on the matrix ?

workshop, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Britishguy here, i wont repeat everything you have just said, its just spot on.

pipes, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  6. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Something I noticed in DP that seems to be a symptom of the current directory situation is the apparent lower number of viewers of the Directories threads, maybe its just me but im certain there were a lot more active members in this part of DP a few months ago than there have been recently...

Whatever Google is doing, or not doing, the rumors and actions they have taken so far seem to be taking a lot of people out of the directory industry.

wayner, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  7. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I respect your views however my opinion is that the reason folks are less active here in DP is simply due to the negativity of the contributions herein

And indeed if you are correct then maybe you are referring to the QBC's etc who have vaporised for what ever reasons. but who cares about scammers and like anyway they are best out of the market.

There is far more upside than downside but some posters do not seem to appreciate that negativity is futile, and the good will always re-surface and prosper irrespective of any current market trends :)

britishguy, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I think wayner is referring to past prominent members too, as a whole, the numbers are indeed down.

Ive found that even when you have exhausted all effort to be polite and understanding with an irrate member that the only solution then is to step back.

pipes, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  9. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not just the QBC who have lost interest, many previously dedicated followers and contributors to the industry have been noticeably absent in recent months. No-one can claim this to be a good thing, if the air around the industry smells bad then not much new blood will come in, and no matter what your view, no new blood will mean a withering of the industry.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly want the industry to bounce back from this and flourish, god knows I have spent enough time and money on a project based on it, but when heads go in the sand and don't see whats going around them then that's asking for trouble.

The directory industry IS in crisis, whether people want to believe it or not.

wayner, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will vouch for that angle i am only new here, but i am very close to quitting in this forum for that exact reason.

it seems to be few people can and do make waves far beyond any normal agenda or reasoning,

I have been involved with many forums and met many types but the current vibe here is one that detracts poeple from wanting to participate.

However in that i see 2 choices let these people dominate or continue in the hope that there are some people who can be polite, work together for the benifit of all.

Its just a question of how far these few people take things as i do not need their constant crap and would glady move to a forum where it was civil.

DownUnder, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  11. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that we should all wait for the PR update & then discuss this subject. Because no one knows that If it was a penalty ? Let's wait for an answer from Google :)

Red_Virus, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  12. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Ive noticed that some off our directories have been massively indexed and the cached dates on one directory is very current
    (Oct 12-15th) and gos back 15 pages deep with current caching and some off my newer directories are coming up for terms on first
    pages in G and yahoo as well as MSN. :D

Sorry for not having been on the forum and posting as much as usual but we have been very busy working on our sites
    adding more content and options as id rather do that then sit here point fingers like a few have been.:)

Some dont even own any directories are the ones making claims that the end off the world is coming... lol
    and some that do own directories and are in such "poor shape" that even if they where "free" it wouldnt sway me to submit...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  13. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Submitting to directories has been fantastic for me!
    I keep gaining in ranks for 3 of my websites and traffic is continuously rising.

The most important factor for me is patience. I don't need to be number one within a few months. I look at the long term. Serps have and still fluctuate for some of my sites, but I hang in there and just watch it come back stronger within days.
    Where will I be in another year is what is exciting.

Thanks.

acuman, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  14. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    G has been rebuilding their database. On my non directory related sites I have noticed quite a bit of movement in the serps (from non existent to number 3, etc.). Maybe an algo change, but so far I am pleased.

snowbird, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  15. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    my first site in sig ranks in 1st page of G for all his title kyphrases and many more and the reason by 50% is directory submisions....
    thats the only i can say to u...:cool:

scoobby, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  16. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, search engines don't devalue directories, it only depends on which directories you have submitted.

jetbrains, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  17. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to make sure what caused to lower your site rank. Are you certain it's because of G that devalued directories?

There are many other factors to consider. But I can tell you that my sites didn't lose rank, and they are supported by directory links mainly ;)

coolsitez, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect duplicate content, highly competitive keywords, and the nature and quality of the sites listed in your signature have much more to do with your sinking ranks than directory submissions do.

YMC, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  19. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My links were Mostly Supported by directories. But you're right and other factors can be involved

shahab6, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  20. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was hit and I am NO scammer!
    You sir, are a DIK who just don't know when to STFU!

pctec, Oct 18, 2007 IP
    Dave E likes this.