1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resigned -

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005.

1. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I lump you in with them because you (at the very least) posted screan shots of internal forums. If you resigned it was only to avoid being kicked out.

That was taken down within hours of you putting it up. If you didn't remove it, why is it gone?

Knowing what I know about the ODP, I simply don't believe you.

compostannie, Dec 8, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  2. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Gee... I wonder who removed it. Sweep, sweep, sweep - under the carpet. Why on earth would I remove it... are you kidding - I POSTED IT.

You are the EXACT reason why I can't bring this type of thing up to your run of the mill DMOZ editor. It doesn't matter what I say, you selflessly defend DMOZ, when I am not attacking it. What I am saying, Annie, is that there are people becoming editors for DMOZ who have ill intentions.

Your refusal to believe anyone who claims that there are bad folks who have infultrated the system and abuse it regularly - IS WHAT ALLOWS IT TO KEEP HAPPENING. How can you be so naive? We're talking about a directory edited in majority by webmasters, who can (and do) reap substantial personal gain by cheating the system.

Think about this for a moment Annie - not everyone has a concience. And for the last time... I did not resign to avoid being banned or removed from the program. If you must continue to make such claims, please back them up with some factual information - as I have done for you.

Spendlessly, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, this is the one thing you could say to me to give me doubts. It's something I've been accused of all my life. Even my husband says it. :(
    Fair enough, I do tend to forget that not everyone has a concience. I expect everyone to have the same values I have. I suppose I'm a lot like gworld in that respect, he expects everyone to have his same lack of ethics.

I apologize for my attacks on your credibility. I don't know you and based it all on the fact that you posted screenshots. You are correct, I don't know the details.

4. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    - and in all fairness Annie, my posting screen shots was not the best manner in which to address the problem. You were right to question my credibility, as I did in fact clearly violate the program policies by doing so. I was reacting frantically, driven by emotion.

I should have done initially what I am in the process of doing now. In the future I will not allow myself to act hastily, as my emotions tend to impair my common sense as it seems. However, I did post the pictures, and I did not remove them because to this moment; I stand firmly on the ground that there are snakes in the rabbit den. They were indeed removed though, some of them only hours after the post was made. I assume that someone reported them as abuse.

Spendlessly, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mentally challenged person ranting, IGNORED. ;)

For those who have studied human mind scientifically, can some one explain for me how even a mentally challenged person can believe that fighting corruption is lack of ethics but supporting, defending and participating in corruption and corrupt organization equals to having conscience? :rolleyes:

It is funny that while mentally challenged person claims to have conscience, doesn't even know how to spell it (concience). I thought spelling suppose to be a big deal for DMOZ editors. ;)

You are forgetting that DMOZ editors already declared that anything that stops corruption is unacceptable to them. I am not joking, look at past posting in this thread. ;) You are the enemy because you want to stop the corruption and nothing can change that.

gworld, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that if we were all as sensible as compostannie and Spendlessly have shown themselves to be in the last few posts, we could make headway on the problems which are facing DMOZ.

What is the first step?

1. To admin that you have a problem.

Let's not be too judgemental here -- lots of things on the Internet are broken and even more things off of the Internet are broken.

On the other hand, denying obvious problems and attacking anyone who points out problems is clearly not a step to recovery. The Emporer is naked whether his staff is willing to admit it or not.

The path to resolution will only be through open and understanding dialog.

That's why the Resource Zone will never be useful in this capacity. Anyone who speaks up is banned and their messages are deleted or moved to an internal forum.

That is also why the internal forums will also never work. They are not open. And now we have discovered that even editors are afraid to speak up in the internal forums.

DP seems to be as good of a place as any to attempt to air these issues -- and by airing them to attempt to resolve them.

I am reminded of a quote from J. Robert Oppenheimer:

"We do not believe any group of men adequate enough or wise enough to operate without scrutiny or without criticism. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it, that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. We know that in secrecy error undetected will flourish and subvert. "

I sincerely hope that no one is offended by my post. Offending is not my intention. However, if offending you gets you to see an obvious problem, then it is better to offend than not to offend.

Will.Spencer, Dec 8, 2005 IP
    minstrel and Blogmaster like this.
  7. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Not even the very best politicians or political parties in any country have ever, EVER been accused of handling corruption properly. Take your head out of the sand for a bit.

Organisations take 'measures' to ensure that corruption is kept to a minimum. If you do not believe that Dmoz has taken enough 'measures' in an attempt to combat this then you probably did the right thing resigning.

Some folks will regard the measures to combat corruption within Dmoz as FAR too tough, as in, those who apply to be editors but don't succeed. Hence the complaints.

Or those folks that consider the measures taken as FAR too lax, as in, the case of those who percieve that their site has not been listed due to (1000 reasons) but 'hey there's a competitor in there, they must be corrupt !'. Or editors like you who don't feel the corruption prevention has gone far enough. Hence again the complaints.

There are always people who never think that an organisation has went 'far enough' either way on anything. (Some of them even turn into trolls ).

But where do you go between those that think the 'measures' to stop corruption within DMOZ are too much and too tough... and those like Spendlessly who will think things are far too lax ??? :confused:

Answers on a postcard....

To : Pissed off that this thread has dragged on for so long !

Measures peeps, Dmoz takes measures, like any other organsiation in the world. I think they do their best under the circumstances. Unfortunately they don't please everyone and you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

But thats life....

shygirl, Dec 8, 2005 IP
    Red and macdesign like this.
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask minstrel. ;)

Oooh, you got me, I'm stupid, I made a typo where it didn't matter. Guess it come from having too many tabs open, editing, helping in another thread, checking into problems other people have... little things like that.

Shall we compare typos in this thread gw? Nah, that would be petty. And time consuming.

Will.Spencer makes good sense. Can he moderate please?

9. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    lol since you have quoted me I will quote you also and say that I think that you should take your head out of the sand for a bit, and realize what you have posted makes no sense and is pointless rhetoric, as all of your other post in this thread (Do you even know what your saying anymore lol?). :)

Red, Dec 8, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I got anon. Blue rep. from someone argueing with himself? LOL, what does blue rep mean? This place is funny. :)

11. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Blue means that the person who repped you doesn't have 50 posts yet. :D

12. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of what shygirl says is perplexing, and the post that you quoted is repetitive, but there is a point in there - some people think DMOZ is too tough on corruption (editor applicants being rejected) and some people think DMOZ is too lax (gworld, Spendlessly).

I wonder what would happen if some of gworld's ideas were implemented. It's fun to shake up the hive once in a while.

torunforever, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  13. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's very classy! :)

Red, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It does have its classy moments...Could use more IMO. ;)

15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you exactly what would happen. The corruption would stop and I will support DMOZ but that is just a wishful thinking. DMOZ editors in this thread already declared that any procedure that stops corruption is unacceptable to them, a sentiment that I believe is shared with power structure inside DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  16. Red

Red Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree gworld but I think nobody will give in this thread, but as long and it's at least being acknowledged eventually something will happen that will change DMOZ.

And to compostannie, "Could use more IMO.," if you say so lol!

Red, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Good. So it's just not me. Her posts frequently read like random words or thoughts strung together with no obvious connecting links... :eek:

minstrel, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I think it's a script. :D

19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In this case, the programmer who made that script should get fired. :D

gworld, Dec 8, 2005 IP
  20. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I say we wipe out all categories in the directory :rolleyes: , layoff all editors :p , get rid of all management :D , START FROM SCRATCH!!

This is a joke ....I repeat a Joke!!! Cant wE aLL jUST gET aLONG! :rolleyes:

Las Vegas Homes, Dec 8, 2005 IP