1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This forum is stale

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Synchronium, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Chris009

Chris009 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You often find better SEO tactics on forums where people don't use adsense (or PPC) programs. SEO information would also improve if directory owners were banned.

Chris009, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    anions likes this.
  2. renderman

renderman Peon

Best Answers:
    Good question.. actually because there doesn't even exist something like a 'holy grail' for ranking maybe. To me it seems most people just have a real passion for SEO related conspiracy theories and spent way to much time in making vague assumptions..

But in reality, ranking can't be even sooo advanced at all.. it's just about
    quality measurement based on the most common quality factors a website can have.. all quality sources have more or less the same things in common:
    • Tons of natural links from all over the world (country IPs)
    • Steady links from authority websites
    • Daily or periodically updating, unique text-content, images, pdf etc.
    • Average pattern of synthax and a unique footprint
    • No keyword spamming or obviously nonsense content
    So, if there is a 'holy grail' of SEO at all, it's just to act normal and provide real quality. Like just writing a daily blog, or starting a forum for example.
    But overall it's still about links and keyphrases i.e. related text-content.

But valid xHTML is more likely to get fastly indexed these days i think..

renderman, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    <<~~~~ Oops, I'm a Newbie ~~~~

I Can agree that the majority of Common Knowledge can be quite trivial to those that have been here or Any other SEO/Marketing based forum for that matter. Kind of the Broken record scenario playing Over & Over in ones head.

On the other side of the coin, I have to sympathize with the New comers that truly haven't a clue on whats going on, Nor do they consider this repeated information "Common Knowledge" (To them self).

It may boil down to the psychological impulses & tendencies to ONLY read / Respond on what one sees in front of them, Thus leading to first page judgments & no further research & or page visits to see what page #2 or #14 holds. In a nut shell, if they don't see something to catch their interests on the first page, they simply think it doesn't exist yet & Post the question.

This is common & true for ANY website - First impressions normally happen within the first 2-6 seconds - If your page hasn't got their attention by then, they leave & NEVER return... Another reason why SEO/SEM is Pointless Unless you have Quality Content to bring the potentials to in the first place.

In Conclusion, I think its a 2 sided street, while the New Comers should research a bit more to find the appropriate "EXISTING" thread about their inquiry, The seasoned Vets (So to speak) should also understand the on page statistics, Human nature, & the thought process of someone that does NOT know as much as they do.

Just my 2 cents, But hey, whats my opinion compared to Millions of others... :)

scorpionagency, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. Synchronium

Synchronium Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can see *why* the forum is full of the same old stuff, but what are we going to do about it?

Perhaps TWO SEO forums - one for the newbs and one for people who know a little bit more? Posting "Get moar backlinks" = banned from that forum?

Again, ideas?

Synchronium, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  5. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A simple solution would be a Sub-forum within this forum & maybe have a higher Restriction on it to enter, maybe More posts & + Higher Rep. (Rep. to indicate at least some people agree & normally comes with seasoned forum frequenters).

Or maybe even a By admin / Moderator Permission ONLY (Send a request & await permission to access) Even in this event it would still cause manipulation for the simple fact of curiosity of whats behind door number 3.

It's like being at the tri-club - silver Door, Gold Door, PLATINUM DOOR - Everyone wants to get into the platinum room, simply to see whats there if nothing else.

Simply advertising such a thing on a Marketing end might just get a MASS Posting frenzy going with everyone wanting to have that status. :D

Even then, eventually, it would reach a point of repeating itself as well & then we are all back at square 1 again....

scorpionagency, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Learn how to spell and quit your whining :rolleyes: If the DP SEO forum isn't advanced enough for you, move on... it's that simple.

dcristo, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  7. chorizo

chorizo Peon

Best Answers:
    I admit I am often amused that people will make the effort to create a new thread here when they obviously can't be bovvered to simply do a Google search and read a bit.

But, I know that there's a lot of opinions out there, and the whole point of a forum is to be able to get real feedback from real people about specific questions. I would sure like to see people put a lot more consideration into their posts, instead of tossing out vague one-liner 'how can I get better rankings?' type questions. But in a system where you gain authority simply by posting more, you're bound to get some filler.

It is surprising that there are no sticky threads in this forum. It might be really useful for someone (I'm not volunteering) to compile an FAQ post which links to previous threads on common subjects, and make it permanently appear as a READ THIS BEFORE POSTING at the top of page 1.

chorizo, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  8. Synchronium

Best Answers:
    What is it with kids these days? If they have nothing to add, they moan about your spelling. Which was intentional, I might add, if you're referring to "moar". Not to mention my spelling is impeccable compared with the majority of DP users (due to nationality more than anything else, I would have thought).

So your attitude then, dcristo, is to ignore the "problem" and let everything else stagnate? Maybe that's because YOU'RE the type of person who sits there posting these one liners in an attempt to increase your post count and sell sig links? Your posts, as we can see here, are more than useful: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/search.php?searchid=7975455

What would have been much more productive would be a reply stating your opinion, whether or not you agree with any of us, or disagree and post reasons why. Not to mention an actual *suggestion* to breath a bit more life into something that EVERYONE can enjoy. It's this kind of closed mindedness that will eventually lead to this forum's demise.

Edit: Moar meme: http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Moar

sparksflying likes this.
  9. sparksflying

sparksflying Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not experience enough to offer a better comment than most here.
    When I started off here at DP forums I spent all of my time in the SEO forum.
    I now spend all my time in General Marketing and Business Forums.

I find that with time on your hands , if you implement all thats advised in SEO forums , that ( and I would swing with Synchronium on this ) there isnt anything terribly new...

Maybe Google is letting less and less slip regarding SEO and algo tactics..

But I find my time is much better spent in other Sub Forums..

And with a little disclaimer.. Im not Guru , but im trying to make a few bob on the side and DP is certainly helping..

I would also advise that those knocking Synchronium's opinion should make their own somewhere else , (s)he had a valid point and isnt trying to hurt,abuse or be nasty be doing so..

Whooooof.. Rant over :)

sparksflying, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  10. Boardwalk

Boardwalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree. The sticky threads should do the work for the newbies.

Boardwalk, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  11. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree completely. On page SEO should be easy and I don't really understand why people need to discuss the fundamentals over and over again.

- Matt

Matt B, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  12. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

First, we all were SEO newbs at one point, and we came to these forums seeking help. So if we have to help a few newbs down the road, then I say why not do so?

Second, going back to fundamentals can really help regardless of what applies. For instance, I have about a 220 bowling average. If I do not go back to fundamentals, I start to slip. I think the same would apply to SEO. If we study the advanced techniques, and start asking ourselves what can we do to get our site higher in the rankings. Sometimes at that point we start making websites for search engines and not for users. So going back to fundamentals tells us.. lets create quality content.. get a few backlinks.. and we should sail in the rankings.

Thats my two cents.

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  13. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:
    The negative response to this thread is ridiculous it's obvious people attacking the poster are not correctly understand the point he/she is getting at.
    Let me lay this down for you

No one is attacking newbie SEOs. No one is saying the fundamentals should be ignored.

What we should have is one of the fundamental threads stickied up and a rule suggesting that new guys read this thread and post questions after.
    We should also have an agreement that the content in that thread is not reposted every other day under the guise of a misleading thread title like "I'm number 2 in Google because of this and making $4000 a day"

There are many, many SEO blogs and sites that people can learn SEO fundamentals, as well as the potential stick thread.

A forum is about ever changing questions and information not the same question or list phrased a thousand different ways.

Diablos, Oct 17, 2007 IP
    Matt B likes this.
  14. Synchronium

Best Answers:
    ^ Eggzacktly!

Oh, and it's a he.

My vote so far is sticky a few FAQ threads, or a second more reputable forum.

15. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This is a forum with ALOT of members. Every popular forum has there fair share of newbies to the site which will ask the same repeated "basic" questions. That's just the way forums work. If you have a specific question regarding advanced SEO, then ask it. You think your the only advanced SEO on this forum? There's lots of good stuff on here, you just have to dig deeper.

dcristo, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  16. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Even if you did have Sticky threads like you suggest, you will still get the same questions...

dcristo, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  17. zenmomma

zenmomma Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want something new, maybe you should post it yourself instead of being rude.

zenmomma, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  18. jimmyfloyd

jimmyfloyd Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe have a new forum for SEO Beginners and also add a sticky FAQ at the top of this forum?

jimmyfloyd, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  19. Chris009

Chris009 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I still stand by banning directory owners. They're the ones that pollute the forum with buying backlinks and other tactics to make profit for themselves(selling backlinks). I've done more with SERP not going after backlinks, not going after quality content, and build, submit, forget, repeat.

Chris009, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  20. Synchronium

Best Answers:
    Are you attacking me because you have nothing to add yoruself, or are you attacking the idea that we could use a bit mroe stimulating conversation?

The idea sounds good to me. So, that leaves one alternative. Leave me alone or contribute, k?

Synchronium, Oct 18, 2007 IP