1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Poll ~ The Flood & Noah's Ark ~ Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Cheap SEO Services, Oct 16, 2007.

?

Flood and Noah's Ark ~ Fact or Fiction?

1. Fact

35.9%
  2. Fiction

53.8%
  3. Not Sure

10.3%
  4. Don't want to know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see you used 2700 BC. What does this mean?

proteindude, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It means nothing other than we base the year on the supposed birth of jesus.
    We have to use something to signify the year, And as the person who invented the notion of the christian calendar was a Roman emperor people had to go along with whatever he said. it doesn't, As you would like it to, Prove anything what-so-ever.

I have explained this to you many times before.

Are you going to try to derail the thread again because you don't have a response to the Gilgamesh myth?

stOx, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  3. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    This doesn't square with what I know.

The calendar we use has gone through several iterations, beginning with several iterations pre-dating Julius Caesar. It was Caesar who obviously invented the "Julian" calendar, or at least it was invented during his reign as Pontifex Maximus. This calendar includes the 365-day, 12-month year, and leap year-day. Pope Gregory introduced his adjustment to the Julian Calendar - the "Gregorian Calendar" - which sought, among other things, to correct the slight errors in matching the seasonal cycles that was endemic to the Julian Calendar. It also introduced the notion of years counted backwards and forward from the birth of Christ. There was no Christian emperor who invented a "Christian Calendar."

As to the notion of the ark and a massive flood, world cultures and religions were, and are, replete with accounts of a flood, and curious to me is that most of them share some notion of a wicked or otherwise flawed humanity, a god that decided to clean the slate, and some sort of promise of new life - quite strikingly in the form of a man and his family saved from the general destruction, to start anew (compare the Deucalion myth with Noah's Ark). Not just Gilgamesh (and others) from Babylon, but Sumeria, Asia, the South Pacific, and Europe and the Americas all had accounts. From what I have seen, there does seem to be some evidence of a massive flooding in pre-history, particularly occurring in and around the Mediterranean.

northpointaiki, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  4. Pauline

Pauline Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm laughing at the two people who voted that it was a "fact".

Pauline, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  5. aspire

aspire Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how about this: the earth was one single piece of land which got split into various continents over a period of time. SO probably the animals belonged to that era. :rolleyes:

aspire, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    northpointaiki likes this.
  6. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Without looking more closely, this was my first thought as well.

7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What i meant was that the calendar we use today originated then. The Gregorian calendar was an adaptation from the Julian calendar and what we use now was adapted from the Gregorian calendar. But the point remains, The fact that we use jesus' birthday as a basis for the number to denote the year proves nothing.

Why would it be curious that myths based on each other have similarities?

I agree that all flood myths are similar. But that surely is evidence that they are adaptations of each other. Especially if you look at the time between when supposed global floods had happened.

The flood myths may have also first been stories about actual localised flooding. but that is a long way away from what the noah story says.

myths generally have an element of truth in them.

stOx, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  8. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is what I wrote. But you indicated:

-And this wasn't correct. You may have meant otherwise but it's not what you wrote, so I cleared the misconception up.

Because I am fascinated by our species.

I agree with you that it is commonsense that the myths either built upon each other, or, were connected by some tenuous strand back through tribal accounts, upon actual event(s) in the dim past. The role of science would be to discover what actually happened, and many have jumped in. It's also why I wrote "not sure" about the flood, at least - despite the multiplicity of myths, I wasn't there, so I can't speak from an absolutist position.

9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It seems ironic to me that creationists are ready to site evolutionary arguements to 'prove' their creationist arguements, but when presented with a evolutionary theory for the development of mankind they rubbish it. ;)

MattUK, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  10. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the story of Noah's Ark is based off a massive flood that probably did occur several thousand years ago. Many different cultures around the world have passed down stories of an epic flood, and some scientists claim that soil samples from many different areas contain mineral deposits that indicate a flood did happen in the area around the Indian Ocean. Some have speculated that an impact with a comet could have caused this, pointing to evidence of a crater about 1,000 miles east of Madagascar. In any case, it's only natural for cultures to attach their own stories of heroism to such an epic event.

Do I believe a flood more massive than anything seen in modern times happened thousands of years ago and impacted cultures around the world? Yes. Do I believe that an old man named Noah built a massive ark to hold two of every species in the world? No. By that time the land masses had separated into basically the same formation we see today, so I think it would have been hard for many animals to make it to the Middle East.

davewashere, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  11. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    As an evolutionist and an atheist, I tend to agree. But then, I've seen enough zealotry among my atheist brothers (mostly - curiously, I've not seen the behavior among the atheist women I've known)- on this very board - that presenting ourselves, as a body, as "above the stench" is just a tad hypocritical, at the very least.

12. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are confusing what is called macro-evolution and adaption.

debunked, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  13. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe so. Arguing that polar bears and penguins evolved from other animals over a few hundred years doesn't take a great leap of faith to see what could happen over thousands.

MattUK, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I think punctuational evolution goes a long way towards explaining the relative lack of "inter-species" fossils, when compared to "adaptive" changes "within" a species.

I think the other problem is as both Stox and Matt are alluding to: we look at life now, as in a photograph, fixed and static, and therefore can't conceive of the changes occurring (meaning, changes in a given population gene pool) every time new life is created. If we stretch that out to millenia, the picture grows to a dynamic film.

15. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I missed that argument, who was arguing that?

debunked, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  16. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    So you are saying there is truth in:

The Loch Ness Monster.
    The Abominable Snowman
    Santa Claus
    Easter Bunny
    The Kraken
    The Bogeyman
    The Drop Bear
    Medusa
    Pegasus
    Unicorn (I do remember you mentioning this one frequently in other threads).

How am I meant to take you seriously when you make this kind of statement?

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  17. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Look up the word "generally".

stOx, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  18. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    I have a good idea what "generally" means. Let's read your thoughts on it regarding your statement.

19. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about? if you have something to say, Say it. Don't just post random quotes and expect people to know what you are blabbering on about.

Generally means usually, Not all the time and not including everything. So from your post listing a bunch of myths and claiming that they don;t have a basis in reality (even though some of them do) you demonstrated that either a) you can't read or b) you don't know what generally means.

stOx, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  20. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    OK...Let's put this point to rest. You said "myths generally have an element of truth in them." Most people would read that from you and think "hmmm...is he supporting that there is an element of truth in myths?"

If you don't support it then why post that statement in that fashion? All you are doing is confusing people. Hence, is why I asked about the other myths.