1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I submit my site to directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by kf9211, Oct 11, 2007.

1. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have not seen anyone suggesting not to submit to directories. Directory submission can be still very useful way to increase your link popularity. Just do some research and get the good quality directories to submit.

maldives, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. kf9211

kf9211 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone. It looks like it is a good idea to submit to directories. Also another question I have is, is there a semi automatic directory submitter, similar to imwishlist.com that is better. What I mean by semi automatic is that it doesn't automatically submit your sites to directories, but it will let you fill in a form and then let you submit your site individually to each directory. It works similar to the way AutoFill works. And also it has to be free.

Thanks,
    Kyle

kf9211, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  3. vistadivine.com@gmail.com

vistadivine.com@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
    Well the most I can say is that it just gives you one way high quality back links if you submit to good directories.

4. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Certainly, keep submitting to directories. I do so almost daily. There are good reasons for directory submission. A few of those are:

• It will continue to increase your "link popularity" numbers in all the search engines, not just Google.
    • For those interested in PageRank, although each individual directory link may offer only a miniscule positive effect, the composite of all your directory links can add a substantial benefit.
    • And yes, some directories do send some traffic. In recent months, for example, 2yi and trincas (among others) have been good to me. Last month 2yi sent me 30 visitors who viewed 161 pages. Again, that's just a tiny percent of our total visitors, but add up the cumulative effect of lots of quality directories, and you can get some moderate traffic along with the above-mentioned PR and link popularity benefits.

Jim4767, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    compostannie and jhnrang like this.
  5. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Offcourse you should submit, muahahaha :D.

werewe12, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  6. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats interesting Jim agree with you one of the key words is daily guess what we do the same too daily submissions its essential because the slow continued growth of indexing and linking establishes a rock solid foundation for any website

britishguy, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and to repeat what I've said in previous threads, Digital Point offers a great way to do daily submissions. I go each day to the Directories > Solicitations and Announcements forum. There I find anywhere from a few to a dozen directory offerings by DP members. I submit to many of them. Primarily (although not exclusively) through this steady, daily method, I've pushed my Yahoo backlinks to over 10,000. And it seems to be paying off in the SERPs.

Jim4767, Oct 12, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  8. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Most of these are free to submit to and are what are so ofen referred to as crap directories. They work for me also but I rather do it in a monthly cycle. The concern I have about "crap" directories is attrition and this is the only reason it makes sense to submit to directories that charge to review a site.

workshop, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  9. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    :D too funny. :D

The Pheonix, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Quite true. Lots of attrition among the new directories. However, those that make it will still make the whole process worthwhile. For example, I've read that something like 95% of new small businesses in the USA fail. But out of the 5% or so that make it, a few of those will become the future IBMs, Googles, etc. And the rest of those successes will become solid, stable businesses. It's the same concept with directories. So I don't mind submitting to many directories that won't make it in order to get positioned in those that will succeed.

Jim4767, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  11. ThreeGuineaWatch

ThreeGuineaWatch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should consider ongoing submission to directories for best effect. Do not submit to 100 or even 850 and then forget about it assuming your work is done. Regular (at a minimum weekly) submissions have brought me best results in this area. :)

ThreeGuineaWatch, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. Sportsm0

Sportsm0 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would submit to free directories...can't hurt. Depending on your sites niche, simply soliciting other sites for a reciprocal link arrangement does work. Send a personalized, non-spam type email asking for a link.

Sportsm0, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but dont be sending it to any off mine as im not into being spammed or doing reciprocals

malcolm1, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Directories are without question a valuable resource but what worries me is that we allow and even encourage a culture of abuse to develop and grow up around them. Are we doing enough to protect the investment we have all made in time and effort? Are we really doing enough to open doors and exploit the opportunities the future holds for this industry?

There is no point in submitting to directories if we are going to allow unscrupulous directory owners to continue to dominate and jeopardise the long term future of the market.

workshop, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  15. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    What directories do you view as 'unscrupulous' workshop? I'm interested to know.

The Pheonix, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Directory owners that fronted the PR selling and who knew damned well that they were participating in a pyramid selling scheme that could only end in tears. Directory owners who try to argue that Authority sites are the same as authority sites and pompous morons who believe that MFA does not mean Made For Adsense or made for adsense. These guys are just not the sort of role models we need right now.

workshop, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  17. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody needs a role model unless your a child that needs a bit of guidance.

Regarding MFA, i just want to show you something, no relevance but its the ultimate in MFA http://gutenberg.com/ <-- a little something to smile at. :)

pipes, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    A bit harsh pipes even though I do get your point. I think the point being made was that at the moment an awful lot of 'advice' to how a directory should be run has come from a select bunch of self preserving elitists who think they have the devine right to dictate how the directory scene should be run. Look at avivadirectory for example, everyone cooe'd about how superior it was and that it was a 'role model' but in reality it was nothing more than a self over inflated link farm preying on unsuspecting victims by making itself out to be bigger and better than what it really was.

We all need guidance in some shape or form, whether we take that guidance is our own choice but we definately need some policing for want of a phrase or the entire directory industry is going to fall apart at the seems faster than it already is.

19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How are you doing-? :p --

We should not allow a few sites like Yahoo/Google to dominate the web -- or DP/SP to dominate Webmaster Forums!:eek: We should not let Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola dominate the handset industry. We should not allow Microsoft dominate the OS market. We should not allow Boeing/LM/Aerospace dominate the Air Industry.

What a dumb idea just to try to put forward your personal agenda while forgetting the history of reality. My guess is -- either you have no idea of what you are talking about or you don't think before you post.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Since time immemorial, there has always been monstrous organizations, companies, entities that dominated each and every niche. It did not hinder the development of other smaller companies in those niches,indeed they complemented each other and have been co-existing.
    SO - It is just natural that few directories would dominate the directory niche but there are enough rooms for everyone.

You views/points are totally unfounded and have no relation to the reality.

OHH-well I forgot that your few months old link-farm can not compete with the giants --thas why you feel threatened

jhnrang, Oct 16, 2007 IP
    DownUnder likes this.
  20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    A very good post on the face of it. The only thing I would say though is that whilst it is natural that a few smaller directories will dominate it must be the ones who have genuine intention of longevity and with a genuine desire to provide a good service. The one's labelled on here as the so called 'big guns' are nowhere near that, they are over inflated by egotistical owners who dupe people into thinking they provide more value than they really do, and boy have they been slated for it.

There isn't enough room for everyone, your wrong on that part, if you saturate a market then it becomes so weak it impodes, just like what's happening right now.