1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it just PR or is it Price? Why is the reason for small amount of Submissions?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by muskur, Oct 13, 2007.

1. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. How does anyone manage 20 directories.

So you invested a lot of money, but still a JAPD to me and most likely also with viewers of your website. Your directory just has no real appeal. You can invest and lose and try again ;)

SteveNO, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  2. mauiman

mauiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    muskur - few thoughts...

My general directory is PR4 (was 5), over 500 u/v's daily, 5000+ listings (point being that it is actually a directory with listings), Syed design, and I charge only $7 for permanent regular listing... and $10 for featured (featured for 12 months then becomes permanent).

And while I'm getting more listings then you reported it's not a lot more so I wouldn't worry that you're doing anything terribly wrong. Some great advice from others here and frankly the fonts used in your directory don't appear to be Syed created. If they were you should have someone spruce them up a little.

I believe small business owners are more comfortable pulling the trigger (buying) listings for $5-10 in a directory then $20+. Now that the PR/SEO value has lost it's lustre you really do need to put yourself in your prospects shoes and ask yourself what YOU'D be willing to spend.

Best of success to you!

mauiman, Oct 15, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  3. muskur

muskur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that mauiman but I don't understand which fonts you are talking about, it looks ok from my computer.

muskur, Oct 15, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  4. mauiman

Best Answers:
    I was using Firefox... looks a little better with IE. I had to make some of my font bold to mke it look cleaner and more professional. I just think the fonts he was using for both of us were weak and don't add much to the first impression.

At any rate the directory looks good especially with the graphics next to cats.

Now focus on getting some green in the PR bar and more importantly some Alexa rankings showing that the directory is delivering stronger traffic. People want to see traffic AND other listings so they feel like it's a place they want to be seen. The more you get the more you'll get....

Cheers

mauiman, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  5. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Often does for any application, but when shooting around have a look at your site from a few other computers this helps to pick stuff that may need adjusting.

DownUnder, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  6. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:

The Pheonix, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    And aren't we are the suckers? Whilst we are wasting our time arguing the toss the bad guys are still churning them out and what's worse they are still selling links and pretending that everything's just fine. Its dead easy to run 50 directories and more. Its being done as we speak and we are allowing them to get away with it because its none of our business.

Like hell its not. Why have I not had one single submission request to the directory in my signature? This tells the whole story. Everyone's so hung up on appearances it provides the perfect cover for the link farms and allows them flourish. Why cant we accept that quality content and editorial integrity is all that's important? Why cant we agree that long term value is what buyers are looking for? Instead of arguing and insulting each other why cant we start opening doors and challenging directory masters to step up to the plate and commit themselves to these simple but real measures of value. Why are we not chasing those corporate accounts and changing the way people do business in this industry. Why dont we try being brutally honest?

workshop, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I dont' put my own directories in my sigs so truthfully my submission levels have actually increased. I couldn't agree more that arguing and insulting each other is a waste of time, I only reciprcocate never instigate. I will never stop waging a war against these people though as I have a legitimate interest in clearing up the directory industry and hopefully making it where every genuine owner gets a good income, at the moment they're probably not, even if they say they are.

The problem I see here is there is a little clique of people who either don't understand the consquences of what they are doing long term or don't care. I do care and will continue to challenge them to stand up to the plate. There's certain peopleI blame for manipulating this self destruction of the directory industry and bringing them to a better way of thinking is the best way forward not attacking them. The penny will eventually drop I'm confident of that. :)

9. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do actually. you don't?

Well I like the domain. It definitely fits his site and receives some SE benefits in return.

Read your responses again and ask yourself how you would feel if you were in muskur's position. Here you have someone asking a few questions about his site and for you to just come out and crap talk his directory is rude. If you want to come off as a rude prick, then go ahead.

The directories your talking about are not like paiddirectory.com. He has a unique template, category structure, no sitewides, mods that most of the crap ones don't bother installing, and he promotes it in several ways.

LeopardAt1, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  10. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Paidirectory.com just screams spammy, get rich quick, low quality, no reviewing, "directory"

bobby9101, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  11. mauiman

Best Answers:
    As I just opined about in my googbies blog web directories are like gardens and their owners like gardeners.

Muskur's garden (paiddirectory.com) may not be the prettiest or largest yet, but it's evident to me that he's serious about his gardening and it's sure to grow. It should be a good place to plant seeds (website listings). I have no doubt he'll nurture them along the way. They'll have plenty of water and fertilizer thanks to the SE rankings he ALREADY enjoys. Any additional fertilizer will just make the plants (listings) stronger.

mauiman, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  12. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice set of puns there mauiman, you lost your calling. :D Where's the SE rankings he enjoys? Just curious.

13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    In the meantime what can the OP do to get a few more submissions? I have a list that I give out to buyers and I am happy to add his directory to that. But with my bedside manners I am afraid its not going to do anyone much good. I am not the best there is by a long shot. Where are the "boys" when you really need them?

Ibn Juferi likes this.
  14. SunDevil

SunDevil Peon

Best Answers:
    ITs the PR....Thats how i shop!

You might not want to do aggressive marketing untill that zero turns into a hero!.....Its all about the conversion!

SunDevil, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Ones born every minute. :)

16. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    You betcha

bobby9101, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  17. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    There sure is, for one death there's usually more than one born though. :rolleyes:

The Pheonix, Oct 17, 2007 IP