1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN is ridiculous - unwanted #2 ranking for "chat online"!!!

Discussion in 'Bing' started by William Martin, Dec 6, 2005.

This is incredible. "Chat Online" when searched for on MSN produces the hidden coded url for my BoldCenter chat module.

That has got to be the most ridiculous ranking I have ever seen. Chat Online has got to be one of the most competitive keyword phrases and I've got it with a ridiculous url.

MSN Sucks!

hxxp://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=chat+online&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0

Please do not click the #2 search position - it's driving me nuts!

William Martin, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    Nintendo likes this.
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Sorry, your link is broken, I had to look it up on MSN and the click the 2nd position. My apologies for adding to your crazyness.

Roman, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    yfs1, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  4. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I broke the link on purpose. Please remove that link! - I don't want to improve the listing or get it spidered anywhere else!

There is no use in this traffic for me whatsoever in any shape or form! It is the code for opening my Customer Support applet. It has got to be the most inconvinent listing ever.

Instead of helping customers with their enquiries - I've got teens from India who want blow jobs :(

Have had to close the customer support module. Grrrr

5. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Linking to a search result has no bearing on your individual sites ranking so there is no need to post a broken link
    How can there be no traffic? I thought that was the problem....Can you not use Mod ReWrite to send those people to an AdSense page and keep your Customer Service Chat running for your visitors?
    That sucks (Pardon the pun)

yfs1, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  6. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    stephaneggy, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  7. William Martin

Best Answers:
    I don't run those kind of sites. I can't redirect the url because it's code on the boldcenter server that executes my customer support applet. It has got to be one of the the most ridiculous search engine listings of all time. There are no links to it, no content, no nothing. Scary!

8. yfs1

Best Answers:
    What do you want from us? We are trying to give you solutions to the problem. Whining about it won't solve it.

The fact that it is a single url means it can be easily contained. You don't have to start a sexual site...Lots of people look for Online Chat in an innocent way.

Why not build one page that lists all the resources they can use like Yahoo Chat (or similar as I think they closed that)

Make a negative a positive!!

yfs1, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  9. William Martin

Best Answers:
    I don't want anything from you - I posted it because I thought people might find it interesting after working for hours on building their site and links etc etc and then a listing can walk in from nowhere and get a #2.

I found it both annoying and interesting.

I can do nothing with the URL because it is not mine to do anything with. I can't set up a re-direct because it is code supplied by BoldCenter which initiates my customer support chat applet. It is code embedded in all my pages - I would have to manually remove the code from over 4000 pages to get new clean code so I think I have a right to be a little pissed.

10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Actually with ModRewrite you could do it with one line of code

But since you gave me red calling me useless, I will leave this thread...Goog luck with your bellyaching while others are making a living ;)

PS. You could also block it from being indexed, but again I'm useless

yfs1, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  11. William Martin

Best Answers:
    Well since you came into the post introducing the negative tone with your "whinging" jibes, I won't lose any sleep about it. I see you've introduced the "eye for an eye" stratagy so all even.

I can quite clearly continue to make a living whilst also whining about MSN.

Anyway - the post was about a silly listing on MSN...

12. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dude, you are pissed off about this, and yes i can kind of see why.
    what you NEED to do is make the most of it, instead of complaining in this post you should be figuring out how to make some serious cash with the listing while it lasts. just my 2cents, sorry

ly2, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  13. willmullis

willmullis Peon

Best Answers:
    By looking at the link I don't think that page is on his server. It is a part of his customer support app hosted by the company he bought it from. That is why he can't do anything with it.

I may be wrong but that is what I get out of what he said.

willmullis, Dec 7, 2005 IP
    William Martin likes this.
  14. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I know why newbies are getting red.. if numpties like this persist in coming in here whinging

DarrenC, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  15. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    It's now #1 on MSN :D

TheHoff, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  16. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wow...what a moron...people here are trying to help you and you give a negative! Unreal...

You are losing out on revenue and most of us here could tell you how to capture it VERY easily. Takes about 15 minutes of work and you could be making solid money every day you are listed in the top results. You could be losing out on hundreds of dollars and I hope no on here helps you.

you can leave me a negative too..coming from a guy with red now your rep ain't worth a dime!

RectangleMan, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  17. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    If your contact page looked like a chat room and you started geting hundreds of E-mails a day from people thinking they were chating, you would also have a right to complain!!!

Now it's #1!!

Nintendo, Dec 7, 2005 IP
    William Martin likes this.
  18. William Martin

Best Answers:
    I apologise if I gave the impression of whinging or irritating. I started the thread merley because I was astounded and also irritated my the calls to my support app. If I pissed you off then I'm obviously sorry.

I would love to turn it into revenue but unfortunatly, it's not an ad running website so I couldn't do anything with it anyway. I am merely the humble webmaster and running ads on the site would not go down to well! :(

Can anyone throw some light on why this was listed in the first place?

If anyone would like the traffic and can show me how to point it to you without losing that url which is coded in all my pages to excecute BoldCenter then you are most welcome to it. :)

William Martin, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  19. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    It's possible to use .htaccess to redirect visitors from a certian URL to another URL. I've seen one site redirect visitors from a scam URL to the FBI website!!!

Nintendo, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  20. William Martin

Best Answers:
    Would I be able to do this and still be able to use the link to trigger my support applet? At present - you click the "live support" button (which is the url listed in msn) and it opens the client. I don't understand how I could do that when the url is not on my server - it's an external link pointing to my chat client if you like, and also, if it is possible - how I can get the url to still work when using the live support button cos I haven't the stomach to change the code in all my pages.

Ta.

William Martin, Dec 7, 2005 IP