1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transparency of coders and Designers

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, Oct 14, 2007.

?

Should Programmers be transparent on thier contact details?

1. Yes, they should have nothing to hide.

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No, why do they need to give thier details.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We should just take thier word for it they are who they say they are?

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
    I've been reading quite a few threads from people who've been victim to free mods etc for thier directory scripts and also of getting ripped off by template designers. Am I wrong in thinking that any coder/designer worth thier salt and honest would not have an ounce of a problem giving thier correct home contact details when offering work?

I say this because most people seem to favour hiding themsleves behind proxies these days. What's your views on this having in mind some mods can cost quite a bit and if gone wrong can cause a lot of lost revenue if not fixed quickly.

The Pheonix, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I know everyones names who I have done programming/design jobs with.

I dont think knowing the real name helps that much. Sergey Aspidov has made several others unhappy around here, although he did an amazing job on my design.

mikey1090, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Credibility and transparency improves any marketplace, regardless whether its in the High Street, Office or Internet

britishguy, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  4. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:

5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think its very important indeed to have lots of real information at least available on request if your going to be involved in working with a coder or a designer.

If its just a ten quid side job then its not so important but if its a big job then i know i would feel more comfortable if i know i can reach that person by phone if need be.

Recently ive been asking here regarding templates, im slowly gathering information for future jobs that i will need done.

I personally feel that being prepared to be open is still hugely misunderstood and underestimated, but it shouldn't be underestimated either that if your really determined you can, with some effort track down just about anyone.

pipes, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  6. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me it depends on how much money is on the table. If the coder/designer is credible in the forums, I will give some trust. If they are willing to ruin their reputation for a few dollars so be it. If the project requires a lot of funding, I will probably go with someone I have previously done business with and trust. Hopefully by doing it this way I am reducing the risk of being ripped off. If I do happen to get ripped off I will file a dispute with Paypal and at worst get half my money back.

werewe12, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  7. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have done deals with 2 designers and 1 programmer, i know all their names and email addresses.

I see your point, but I can't quite imagine a case involiving a directory mod going to court.

8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    you can't get your money back off paypal for certain types of goods which I do believe includes what I'm posting about, this is one reason I decided to ask.

9. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    yeah paypal doesnt have cover for digital goods. However, if you pay with your Credit or debit card as the paypal source of funds, you can ring your CC/DC company and chargeback.

10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Crikey, what bank do you use? do you even dare give you CC details to anyone you don't really know? Whoah, I have to out of duty say NEVER do that! :eek:

Giving your credit card details to anyone you don't have a fixed address and details on is like giving people a licence to print money. Firstly because most don't use secure servers and secondly you can't claim back from people that use fake id's. A bank will tell you that its YOUR duty to show a level of diligence when dealing with online transactions, if your stupid enough to give your details to an untraceable person you will never get your bank or CC to give you a chargeback. If you know of one that does let me know of it as I can't see it myself.

11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can of course pay with your credit card through payapal though, and credit card companies can be suprisingly helpful when needed, even though they rob us blind with interest rates. ;)

pipes, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.
  12. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You misunderstood my post.

Pipes understood me:)

When you pay with paypal there are several options. Paypal balance, credit/debit card and bank transfer. Using CC/DC is what scanmmers do, thats how they chargeback and get stuff for free.

13. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    lmao; which one's pipes, I use the good old BOE, and they are a bitch to honour chargebacks.

@Mikey, make your points more clear and I'll understand them easier. ;)

pipes likes this.
  14. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I thought it was crystal ;)

15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    HSBC and Capital One, my balances aren't even from my own enjoyment, over generosity with a past girlfriend. :eek:

pipes, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  16. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Few years back I got ripped off by a freelancer because I made the stupid mistake to send him full payment before any work was done. I made a dispute with Paypal. I was sure to include any details I could find. I copy/pasted the conversations I had with this freelancer. At the end of my statement I included that "I could provide more proof upon request". They ended up refunding me back half the funds. I wasn’t fully satisfied, but better than nothing. Valuable lesson learned on my expense.

Also, I heard it's easier to dispute something with Paypal if you label the transaction as "goods" instead of "services". Paypal will ask the seller for the tracking number incase of dispute.

werewe12, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.
  17. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Victim I think is entirely the wrong word when dealing with free mods.

You have a choice to go free or to hire / pay for a mod. If you hire someone then it is your responsibility to ensure you ask for the information if you desire it, but most programmers will gladly provide such information without being asked. In the case that they refuse your request then you shouldn't be hiring them in the first place.

SilkySmooth, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    The word was totally appropriate in the context it was used SS. I was referring to the victim of the consequences of using a free mod not necessarily a 'victim of a free mod', there's a big difference. Free mods are just that, free, and unless support is offered even with free then you run a risk of using something without fallback.

I therefore agree with you, that to eliminate risks you either invest in a good programmer with a proven track record and one who is transparent with thier business, people who choose to use free anything are usually the first to gripe about things if and when they go wrong. The problem though is that most programmers simply aren't transparent, and there's no such thing as trust when it comes to people who hide behind names and proxies, its often then just as much a gamble as using free software. A good programmer will never be afraid to give out his details, why should they be, they have a reputation to uphold and by being totally open they increase their credability thus business and the world's a happy place.

The moral of the story though in a nutshell is if you plan to use free software then do so at your peril.

19. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I am not going to argue with you, I was just stating my opinion that I don't beleive it was used in the correct context.

SilkySmooth, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  20. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Many love finding designers on webmaster forums, though I would rather save some bucks and hire a real webdesign company to do the work; much more easier to communicate and to get a job done that suits your needs.

Regards,
    Meti

WatchOut, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.