1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it just PR or is it Price? Why is the reason for small amount of Submissions?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by muskur, Oct 13, 2007.

1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    What's your definition of an old timer workshop and how would we know whether they won't be around? you've lost me on this one.?

The Pheonix, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  2. dsakella

dsakella Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a question that depends on many factors. Directories are facing a difficult situation because of google not agreeing on their main purposes.
    1. Google does not want links to be sold for PR purposes
    2. Google doesn't want links to be sold for SERP improving purposes.

These have been the main services directories have been based on, and now many users question themselves about the need of having a paid directory link.
    It's logical to have a smaller amount of submissions due to these reasons.
    On the other hand I had a great increase on my submission number in the last two months. I did nothing special and to be honest I didn't expect this to happen. Right after I doubled my prices, submissions increased. (from 3-6$ to 6-12$ for regular - featured).
    I think your prices are a little high (my directory is PR 3), and probably this is the key factor.
    Also PR has its role not for purposes of passing PR juice but in terms of proving that a directory has been there for quite some time and some promotion has been made.
    So I think your problem is a combination of the two factors you mention.
    Try experimenting a bit with your prices and keep working on your projects.
    Submissions will come as soon as the market is convinced that you offer a reliable and quality service.

Also try to evolve your directory, as simple link farms will probably not have a great future. Try reforming into a portal like site, with content regularly updated, add features other than just link submissions.
    This will help you in two sectors. You will greatly improve your SERPs and thus your traffic, and you will give your visitors (other than webmasters) a reason to keep coming back, thus driving traffic to your listings.

Keep in mind that directories have always been a tough and tricky business, and nowadays it has become even harder. Only the ones that will catch the evolution train will survive.

Just my opinion.

dsakella, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  3. muskur

muskur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback dsakella. What kind of portal site do you mean and what kind of content would you suggest. I can't think of many choices for a paid directory.

muskur, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  4. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    You think that's a good domain? Hmm, ok

bobby9101, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    There is going to be significantly less money chasing more directories. Rates are also likely to be a lot lower than in the past and this means that everyone is going to have to run a lot faster just to stay still. High PR sites with high overheads must be high risk options. For the next six months or so I would stick to new directories.

workshop, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  6. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for clearing your point up for me, I can answer now.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that PR is going to change in some form, its certainly going to have less value. There will always be directories as search engines are just too messy, the chaos called the web simply has to be organised, but there will I believe evolve a format of directory that will offer the consumer, who after all is who we are chasing after, a lot more value for money, these are the directories that don't offer PR bars, and alexa ranking tables, they are a big time put off, PR8 doesn't mean it sells a better product from PR4, it can and often is quite the opposite.

So I think that the directories who've played by the rules, and have nutured themselves into a position of trust and offer what the consumer needs will take ALL the money leaving the rest floundering around after the slim pickings.

You've given me a great idea when reading your posts and its helped me develop a model which I hope will work for me, it has so far and that's even applying it to older school type directories. I'm looking ten years on and still see myself here, lets forget 6 months. :)

7. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    The truth is that there are dozens of directory owners that are running their directories in order to improve their pagerank; which definitely isin't the way to go.

What about your visitors? They are a huge part of your business. In order to have a successful established web directory you must think out of the box, how do I get a visitor to visit my web directory at a regular basis? Providing a well-moderated and spam-free web directory can help both your users and yourself in the near future.

About the price? Think this way; running a web directory costs both time and money - but the problem is that many will submit their sites in order to gain higher pagerank. Setting a price isin't as hard as you think? Think this way, does your price really pay your work (that includes going through every aspect of the submitters site and see if it meets your directory standards) ?

Setting up a Directory is easy. Managing one is hard.

Thanks,
    Meti

WatchOut, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The key thing about that statement is that everyone values their own time differently. Some may believe their time is worth $50 and hour and others are happy with $10 an hour. In the end it is the 'market' votes with their $$ to decide if a directory is worth the submission/review price.

jg123, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  9. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    paiddirectory.com? :rolleyes: What is your point?

I was just trying to give an honest opinion. Its better to if someone doesn't know how other (potential submitters) view their directories.

Why so much animosity towards me DownUnder? You talk like your a professional directory owner and yet your calling people gutter rats because they try giving a honest answer. :rolleyes:

SteveNO, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    And so you should, your opinion is as valid as anyone elses and sometimes we do have to agree to disagree, lets do it without fighting heh. Mind you I did find your phrase JAPD quite amusing as it came just as someone boasted of launching 20 directories using that very script, :eek: I thought exactly the same but bit my tongue. Your only saying what lots of people think, rep for having the courage to do so.

11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this and I have stopped submitting to 90% of the new directories regardless of script just because folks don't seem to be doing anything unique anymore, it is just same-old-same-old. But when I do see someone that has done something a little different I am willing to support them by purchasing featured links.

jg123, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  12. muskur

muskur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excuse me but do my site look like this? I mean one of those Japd directories? I didn't use any software to put tens or hundreds of directories on, and as I stated at first I work hard on my directory with many advertisements, free PHPLD templates and so on...
    BTW, anyone can think paiddirectory.com is not a good paid directory name but for me it is perfect, It doesn't make it invaluable because of recent changes in the gg. People are searching free directories and paid directories. It is discussed a lot but if you are charging to place links it is a paid directory even if you call it any name-including paid for review.. I thought yahoo was a paid directory as well. Only its name is yahoo. If you redirect your customer to the payment area after the link submit it is a paid directory. The only difference is everyone knows my directory is a paid directory as soon as they type in the domain name.

muskur, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like your site URL and think it is valuable, just right now all the crap about paid links is going on. I also think your design is above average.

jg123, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  14. muskur

muskur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Steve,
    How can you know I did not invest on this directory? If you didn't like the template it is your opinion, I didn't do the template myself, it is from a professional designer. If you don't know, you can see his portfolio here.

And please don't judge this being just a thrown out directory, I will take it as an insult because I invested xx,xxx for this directory. NO JAPD will do this. Please make a search before you judge.

I asked for help from the experienced directory owners, if you are experienced help me to become better or please do not tell me my directory is a junk. Instead of saying that; you could tell me to make changes with the template or advertise more or whatever advice, but you just put me down by telling me it is not professional.

muskur, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about other people. You build a directory for yourself and for Google. If you want to spend $$$, spend $$$ but its not necessary. Webmasters can get a back link from you if you accept their site and its up to them to find you. They are going to need to be lot more selective in future and unnecessary window dressing is a sure fire indication that the owner has something to hide. Don't compromise on the guidelines you set, build a resource you are proud of and you should be OK.

workshop, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  16. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    There's big things happening at phpLynx on this JG, I know Gary and Frank are working on a new model of directory that raises the bar yet again. Forget features here, i'm not advertising the scripts features here, I'm pointing out to the much needed change of approach directories need to take and these boys are really working hard on this.

I do get kept in the loop of course as I do much of the coding for the ideas along with others but won't or can't divulge just what they are up to until they give me the go ahead, but one thing I can say is that it pretty much backs up exactly what you said.

The Pheonix, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  17. dsakella

dsakella Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should transform it into a site that the average user would find useful. (ie non webmasters, so that you can drive organic traffic). Try adding newsfeeds, write some articles on your own on any niche you find suitable.
    Maybe you could add some services.
    I don't know exactly what you could do with your site, but try to reform it to something that CONTAINS a directory, and not something that is only that.
    Target the average user. The one that will visit your listings so that your customers will see traffic coming from your site.
    This is the best promotion for you. Let people find out that your site generates traffic.

dsakella, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't take the critisism to hear muskur, the problem is that there's no getting away from the fact there are now thousands of freebie directories using a certain script and most of them are pretty poor to say the least. don't follow the pack here, be careful on thier advice and choose wisely. Newsfeeds are okay but don't use them as an alternative to results, use them with if you have to.

I don't like phpld that much but I'm working for a rival script so am bound to say that, what i'll d for you is to go to your site independant of this forum and p.m you with my views which you can take or leave ok. good luck my friend. :)

19. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Features are not going to fool anyone. Bells and whistles are just that. Automated content is dead easy to detect. A quick paint job is not going to paper over the cracks. Whereas a dedicated directory master is what will really make a directory stand out from the crowd. We need to re-evaluate every single measure of value we use to grade directories. We need to offer incentives to directory masters to do the right thing. We need to change the way we think and the way we do things. This is what Google is trying to tell us. Its not just the personalities and the various tools we use. Its attitude.

workshop, Oct 15, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.
  20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Well said, rep had to be given. Problem with people is they think gimmicks will bring visitors, they won't, content will but only if its the right type. Awesome answer.