1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

shifting content, affect SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by a$$-wise, Oct 14, 2007.

I am thinking of creating my personal site where I would blog. and move my all earlier blogs to my new site.

I want your suggestion as how I go for it.
    I need a smooth transfer & I dont want google to penalise me for duplicate content.

Here are my queries:
    1> Does google penalise you for the duplicate content even if the original and the newer both are yours?

2> If yes, how should I go for it. Should I completely delete my blog*spot content and then form a new site?
    or should I keep both and gradually shift the content

3> How it will affect my original blog*spot.

I might keep them for the announcement that "I am moved" <new url>

a$$-wise, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  2. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

Duplicate content between websites is not good.

If you have to move, put a 301 redirect on your old website to your new blog. It will take some time but google will transfer your PR to your new blog and not see it as duplicate content.

If you keep both, you might want to rewrite your old content so that it is 80% original at least. That is not a hard coded number. You just do not want duplicate content.

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    a$$-wise likes this.
  3. topicalone

topicalone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You cant do a 301 on a blogspot site. Your best option would be to shift a few pages at a time to the new domain (delete the content in the old pages) and put links to the new urls from the corresponding old pages. Wait and watch the results and if you get positive results repeat the process.

Note that its purely based on my personal experience, and your mileage may vary.

topicalone, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    a$$-wise likes this.
  4. TextLinkCenter

TextLinkCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    It's never a good idea to use these blogspot type of sites just because you don't have much control.

With that in mind, I agree with topicalone, but I wouldn't do a few at a time. I'd do them all at once and be done with it. Google may hammer you for a while regardless. The sooner you get it over with, the sooner you'll be back in business.

Brandon

TextLinkCenter, Oct 14, 2007 IP
    a$$-wise likes this.
  5. a$$-wise

a$$-wise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe thats why I am moving :D

a$$-wise, Oct 14, 2007 IP