1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Home Page and Contact Page Same PR??

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Golf - Guy, Dec 6, 2005.

I still haven't figured google out and this confuses me even more. Our home page and contact page both have the same PR. All the rest of the pages directly off of the home page have a PR one rank lower as I would expect. I checked backlinks to contact page and it shows nothing, other than the contact page itself. Is there something I've done on my contact page that I need to do on my other pages to receive this rank or is this just some quirk. I have been keeping tabs on the contact page for several days and the PR was teetering going from a 3 to a 4. Now it looks like a solid 4. Any ideas?

Golf - Guy, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  2. marques

marques Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed that same thing awhile back and posted it here on DP.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=34085

No one took me seriously and I only got 1 reply. You see guys I am not that crazy after all!!! Well at least I am not alone...

My guess would be google.local being released from beta. If google.local index/uses your page (contact/address page) for its results maybe google adds more value to that page?

marques, Dec 6, 2005 IP
    EWpro likes this.
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a quirk, not something you did, most likely.

Look at http //www.netmidwest.com/cat10-2.html and the home page. Provided you get the proper PR from the updated d/c's, you will see a PR6 for the first, and PR5 for the second. The jagger update caused this. I have seen other pages with similar problems, and others have reported it here in this forum in several threads. I think this is why the d/c's keep rolling back and forth on pre-jagger backlinks and PR - maybe Google knows of the problem, but needs the old data to test.

I think Google changed something in the way it attributes links to some pages. Google has a piece of the algo that decides if it should show a page that is linked to, or the page it is linked from. This piece is what enabled the 302 redirect bug. Damned if I cannot remember where this was stated... and who, googleguy or matt cutts...

And the lack of attention has frustrated me as well, marques. I really think there is something to be learned from this...

NetMidWest, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  4. Golf - Guy

Golf - Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    So would this be considered true PR? I've added a couple of internal links to the contact page to try to give those pages a boost. I just wonder if this will help. Who knows, with Google.

Golf - Guy, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  5. chawlars

chawlars Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No body knows google's algo for granting PR, right? But i have seen many pages with almost no links or less links, still having PR 6. So i think links alone shd not decide

Register free for online trade

chawlars, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  6. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, for now. Your site probably has the PR it should, there just seems to be a problem with how it is distributed within a site. It should be fixed with the next update, making the PR of your pages more like you expected.

NetMidWest, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  7. Golf - Guy

Golf - Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate the knowledge!! Thanks!

Golf - Guy, Dec 7, 2005 IP