1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reputation System Abuse?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ResaleBroker, Oct 27, 2004.

What do you consider an abuse of the reputation system?

If a member is in a "state of being-annoyed" and decide to "hand out some negativity [Negative Reputation Votes] to compensate for their state of being-annoyed" would you consider that an abuse of the Reputation System?

ResaleBroker, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    debunked and Colleen like this.
  2. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Most definitely. They should only give out reputation when they're in a sane frame of mind.

Colleen, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    mxlabs likes this.
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    No. Voting without commenting is IMO.

And yes, he is quoting my words here.

T0PS3O, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes, I would, but what can you do about it? That is why there is a limit on how many people you can vote on in a day or how many times you can vote on 1 person without voting for many others.

Don't worry about 1 bad vote, but if you were to become a jerk you might get a bunch.

debunked, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  5. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    yes. People should wait till they can make a rational decision before handing out negative reputation. If that green box turns red people won't take you as seriously.

Weirfire, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    conorod likes this.
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Here is the post Jeffrey PMed me about http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=44597&postcount=46 asking for clarification which I happily gave.

You are twisting words again as well. I was annoyed for a (explained in detail) reason. Now you make it look like I was having a bad day and decided to fork out some negative feedback to the first person I came across.

T0PS3O, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    conorod likes this.
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I think Shawn should review all reputation reports before entering anything and comments should be required and reviewed along side of the posts by him.

This is hurting the forum in my view the way it is set up now. :mad: :( :cool:

anthonycea, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    rickbender1940 likes this.
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I'm all for obligatory commenting as well. And in my opinion it shouldn't be anonymous either.

T0PS3O, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  9. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if there is a way to make it not anonymous or if that's the only option when setting it up in the control panel.

Colleen, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  10. Nick W

Nick W Peon

Best Answers:
    There has been uproar over on the sew forums this last 2wks over this. One suggestion was that only positive rep was allowed to be given. Meaning good posters go up, bad stay where they are..

Im not sure if it's the same here, but over there moderators can see who gives them bad rep! which creates all kinds of paranoia as im sure you can imagine :)

Nick W, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Nick, Did You Come Here To Stir Up Trouble, I Have A Mind To Vote Some Bad Rep Your Way!!!!!

12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Too bad your voting doesn't count Anthony ;)

With the spreading-around rule, someone can only voted down badly by a group of people. And I think you can only mobilize a group and get them to do that if there is valid reason for it. With that valid reason, you deserve that red card.

Resale Broker is sad because I voted him just under the 10 points barrier with all implications that goes with it. He's still far off being red though. I even offered a positive vote if he showed me an excellent post of his. Instead he takes my private comments public, takes them eout of context, and cries. I always add detailed comments and even my name to votes. Tough shit if it makes you loose your sig or whatever. I don't think it is abuse. I voted against 4 people and told each of them why I did it. I am not going to research their karma status first. I'm not going to wait hours to 'rationalize' first either. The internet is instant. And as explained to RB, I was watching that thread for hours, so it wasn't even an impulse thing.

The spreading around rule prevents abuse. If you feel abused because I voted against you... Grow up.

T0PS3O, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Top, did you have to ruin the joke, I wanted to scare the hell out of the guy :mad: :(

You guys better start voting on my side or else I am going to blast you off the forum at will :eek:

T0PS3O likes this.
  14. Nick W

Nick W Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe, im an old hand at rep spamming :) i know your rep dont count yet...

Rep farming - rep rings - rep click bots - hehe!

Fancy giving a bunch of marketers a form of currency and expecting them not to abuse it eh?

It's all good fun though, i love the rep system. I just wish the blog sys would accept my feed :(

Nick W, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  15. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, I go away and come back to this. :confused: For the record, check my post and you'll see that my question implicated "Nobody."

I thought it was abuse, you didn't agree so I wanted to see what the other forum members thought.

Do you consider this to be a post worthy of the vote your promised?

ResaleBroker, Oct 27, 2004 IP
    Help Desk likes this.
  16. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ideally, reputation should not be anonymous. If you got something to say, don't be a puss about it. Secondly, you should have to keep a somewhat equal balance of positive and negative feedback (ie, don't go to the dark side Luke).

I can't speak for DigitalPoint but I know exactly what he will say.

"It is not worthwhile for anybody for to take the time to custom code this logic into vB for each upgrade. If we can't all play nice, then reputation will be going away so don't be an ass."

Some of those are my words, but the overall message will probably be spoken by DP if he chooses to comment on this subject.

Help Desk, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  17. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    You know a forum has matured when this sort of stuff starts creeping up.

"Kant we all just git along?"

mopacfan, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Nothing like that is possible, no one ever conspires to get other members banned or to ruin their reputations :D :) ;)

19. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    a valid comment/reason on reputation grading should be required. the person being graded should be able to appeal if he/she feels its not right.

melfan, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  20. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true mopacfan, its coming to the point where people are getting to know eachother well enough to argue...

schlottke, Oct 27, 2004 IP