1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"Paid Reviews" vs. "Paid Links" - The answer is here!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Oct 11, 2007.

1. spin

spin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO it is getting a bit hot around here isn't it......

spin, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    watched the vid and thought it as quit good
    but In what what way is it getting hot here ?

DownUnder, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  3. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    What you need to remember is not all of us want to listen to your advice as half of it if not more is a load of crap and that's a fact. BTW, watch the communal pool showers they can be a bitch for catching varucas.

The Pheonix, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  4. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Personally I think many of you missed the point that bobby was trying to discuss. What i am reading from his post is that many directory owners are calling listing inclusion into their directory as a "paid reviews" which can be misleading (back to this in a minute). He is also indicating that inclusion to many directories is purely advertisement based, either for pr or link building or whatever.

Now back to "paid reviews". Many directory owners use this type of wording and misrepresent their directory (knowingly or unknowingly). I have to agree with bobby, simply clicking on the accept/publish button on your submissions does not constitute a review, regardless if you've spent time quickly looking through the submitted site and doing your due diligence to make sure the submitted site is not banned by google and has some decent PR, content blah blah blah.

What bobby is saying is that if you are truly a "paid reviews" directory, then act like one. The only way you are going to start acting like one is when you start to understand what "reviews" really are.

Definition of Review:
    A review is an evaluation of a publication, such as a movie, video game, musical composition, book, or a piece of hardware like a car, appliance, or computer. In addition to a critical statement, the review's author may assign the work a rating (for instance, one to five stars) to indicate its relative merit. - Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reviews

If you truly provide "paid reviews", then there should be some kind of editorial review accompanying every listing on your directory.

:)

LaCabra, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I cant see many owners going for that (could be completely wrong though :)) as its extra time and i think a submitter will then worry incase the reviewer writes something that the submitter doesn't like.

But then you could say that theres no worry of a less than perfect review as the reviewer wont let any site in that isn't great plus wont want to offend the site owner with an "honest" review but then the listings may look unatural if their all perfect.

More Text: Plus the accompanying review could become outdated quickly and not really match the state of the site later on, unless editing was involved or updates, complications, complications...

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  6. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    If in the review of the sites submitted you include an alexa rating and a blurb generated from a script. some directories have features installed where site traffic and a rating of stars are included. Is this sufficient enough to call it a valid "paid review"?

SFOD_D223, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  7. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think wikipedia is a good source, it just suits your defininition of how you think it should apply to directories.

I think the word can mean many different things to different people, so what we are really debating is what the word 'review' means to each of us as it relates to directories. To say a directory owner is lying or scamming because their definition is not the same as yours is silly.

I think if a directory owner believes the word review means to spend at least X amount of time visiting a site and reading X amount of content and searching the web for duplicate content and following all outbound links, etc.... then they should just post those details on their submission guidelines.

re·view Pronunciation[ri-vyoo]–noun

- an inspection or examination by viewing, esp. a formal inspection of any military or naval force, parade, or the like.
    -a second or repeated view of something.

verb

-to view, look at, or look over again.
    -to inspect, esp. formally or officially: to review the troops.

jg123, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  8. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

So you mean a ranking system with the owner rating the
    site submitted in his own manner?

I think ive done that with articles and videos and soon images/pics
    but never thought about adding it to LINKS...

http://www.biz-king.com/latest-videos.html

Do you think this would matter?

And yes those stars are "horrible" and will get changed soon.. :eek:

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  9. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    A few final thoughts on this matter.
    1. Why should the owner of a directory give a damn if the submitter is afraid of submitting and getting a bad review.
    2. Making a directory isn't about getting a million links in your directory, I would rather have 100 useful links than 10,000 crap links.
    Directories should cater to the browser, not the submitter.
    3. Putting some stars on a directory don't mean anything if they don't provide value to the browser.
    4. Refunding 100% of a review fee proves that you are selling a link
    5. Again people still keep posting "An owner can charge what he wants, that's not your business" And again I say that I am not saying it is. I am saying that telling everyone that you aren't selling a link, that is a problem because you are selling a link.
    6. It's funny how when people are backed into a corner they post worthless youtube videos, it's like "oooh shiny object" Sorry doesn't work on me.
    7. If you want to keep lying to submitters and to Google go ahead, you can keep raking in your hard earned dirty tainted money, as for me, I am content with sitting here watching ignorant people throw their money into the toilet looking to increase their SERPs

bobby9101, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  10. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Some may say it is enough, I would say it is not. Personally alexa rating generally don't say much about a site as alexa is a measure based on people using the toolbar and can be easily manipulated. I have several client sites that get significant traffic but varies significantly from that of what alexa is reporting. Generally, the only person who can truly represent the traffic of a particular site is the owner of that site through their logs or a third party script that may be installed on their that makes the info available to the public.

Actually i use wiki a lot and simply put up the definition. Wiki is fairly democratic in nature and one could argue that the definition contained within is a reflection and representation of what many consider accurate.

Yes one could debate the meaning of the word "review" as well as the word "directory" or "quality" or "seo friendly" or "human editted". We may all look at the definitons differently but the important thing is that there is generally a base from which people start. Heck, even putting a star rating would be a start, BUT the truth of the matter is that few directory owners do even that as part of their review.

I didn't say they were "lying or scamming" so if you are going to make reference to my comments I would appreciate if you keep them in context. How many directories even discuss what their "paid review" even consists of? A simple statement like:"We base our reviews and inclusion into our index on the following criteria:" I don't think that basic guidelines found on many directories are sufficient.

Agreed in general but where X is not 2.57 seconds.

If you want to get picky ... here you go from thefreedictionary.com/review

re·view (r-vyoo)
    v. re·viewed, re·view·ing, re·views
    v.tr.
    1. To look over, study, or examine again.
    2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.
    3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction: reviewed the research findings.
    4. To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance, for example).
    5. Law To reexamine (an action or determination) judicially, especially in a higher court, in order to correct possible errors.
    6. To subject to a formal inspection, especially a military inspection.
    v.intr.
    1. To go over or restudy material: reviewing for a final exam.
    2. To write critical reviews, especially for a newspaper or magazine.
    n.
    1. A reexamination or reconsideration.
    2. A retrospective view or survey.
    a. A restudying of subject matter.
    b. An exercise for use in restudying material.
    4. An inspection or examination for the purpose of evaluation.
    a. A report or essay giving a critical estimate of a work or performance.
    b. A periodical devoted to articles and essays on current affairs, literature, or art.
    a. A formal military inspection.
    b. A formal military ceremony held in honor of a person or occasion.
    7. Law A judicial reexamination, especially by a higher court, of an action or determination.
    8. A musical show consisting of often satirical skits, songs, and dances; a revue.

LaCabra, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  11. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should build your own then booby...

Then come back and show us...

laterz
    malcolm

syted and bobby9101 like this.
  12. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Malcolm what you have done by adding your "stars" is essentially provided a review. Additionally you are providing some comments about the video which adds to the review. So now as a user I can go to that site and say hey, I wanna check Shoe's vid on the paid link thing and its got 6 stars so it should be interesting enough to watch. BUT I'm gonna check out the Top 10 Most Expensive Cars first as I love expensive cars and looks like its a very decent video as it has 10 stars.

LaCabra, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    well its not anywhere done yet as i want to add how many times the video was viewed, post comments ect ect
    but the 2 main reasons im doing it is to classify them better like a library of videos rather then just... society or comedy
    plus bring in folks willing to view what others have submitted and rank them as soon enough you will be able to upload
    video yourself rather then watch metacafe or yahoos videos.

We are currently working on photos/images being submitted also so that when you search for anything related in a search engine
    like ASK.com then its classified correctly and not some lame crap description and title thats wrong like ive seen many times already...

It takes time and money to do what we want and are nowhere even close to whats being prepared ...

thx
    malcolm

14. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    I do not know of any directory owner that deliberatly lies to submitters, the term review is a general one that has been used for ages in directories ( be it right or wrong )

15. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Malcolm you are headed in the right direction and it important to sight that you are providing a service to your potential visitors. Some do restaurant reviews, you do videos and i think there is audience for that. You also take the time to view a video and then rate and comment on it; that in essence is a review. I personally would have a bit more in the comment area but thats just me.

keep it up!
    cheers

LaCabra, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  16. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Thx appreciated...

like i said ... we havent really even started as image/pics is next then ill add all the little trimmings that make it better then others.

I have noticed an massive increase in Yahoo, MSN, ASK bots - and some engines ive never even heard off ;)
    so i think and hope im going in the right direction

Im sure that after ive been at it for a bit and have everything the way i want it ...
    the traffic will flow and it will be better resources for everyone including bots

Trust me its no easy task trying to keep people and bots happy at the same time

thx
    malcolm

17. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Regarding 1. Owners should always give a damn about all the different things surrounding their directory, including anything that may put off and scare you away.

Regarding 2. I agree with that.

Regarding 3. True.

Regarding 4 But it is a complicated situation, if you dont refund then your holding onto funds without good reason.

Regarding 5. Dont forget that google ads to this problem, im not saying its their fault, but what are people to do? if people had the ideal answer to this then it would be implemented already, the problem is pointed out but what is the solution?

Regarding 6

Regarding 7 Directory owners aint politicians, they dont have all of the answers, its somewhat hard to create the ideal solution when you dont know what the problems are in the first place.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  18. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    1. I don't care if I scare off submitters, so long as I don't scare off users.

5. OK, anyone can quote me on this, heck Google can ban me for life, SCREW GOOGLE! They can do whatever they want, I am going to make my site for people to use, yes I hope Google finds my site attractive and that it provides a benefit in SERPs for the sites I will list, but I am going to take a stand and say, Yes, in my directory, when someone submits a website they will pay for all of the following: Link value (that is direct traffic, scraped traffic, and even maybe SERPs benefits) and also review time (not just going to site for half a minute and then clicking the approve button). So yes, as a matter of fact I will be selling links, I will have the ability for people to add sites for free, because the way I see it, just because a site has a budget of $0 doesn't mean it isn't valuable enough to include.
    There I said it, Google, feel free to call me anytime, feel free to ban me, we don't have to live in fear of you.

bobby9101, Oct 13, 2007 IP
  19. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    The million dollar question, probably with a million answers, so i will give it a spin = in short google would love everyone to feel compelled to abide by mr googles rules and this has shaken those who believe google is god.

There is one reason i see for this ( and my view only ), its all about the almighty $, google had a system of ranking sites, all is good but what has happened it is being overun by others in far as that ranking goes.

Here's a few questions i ask myself, google say you cant have paid links ?, well who put them in charge of my business for them to tell me what to do ? they do not put food on my table nor pay my bills.

The next thing is what do you call adsense other than a paid link in its raw form, is it ok to rank my directory now because i run adwords ? probably because google are in the bucks

There are big $ in the internet world and google want them all, it will be the willy wonker google factory.

The funny thing is if people stopped to think for half a minute and just done what they wanted google would not know what to do, and sure as eggs if they keep up thier campiagn to try and corner the market i would expect yahoo and others to come in and take them on.

these times are very vulnerable to google and they are playing a game they may or may not win.

for me i simply do not care about google, where they want to put my page who cares, i play by my rules and the more that done it the better. People see page results as the only form of perhaps some income where there are many options, secondly how do they tell which links of mine are free or paid, they seem to bend rules to create google rules.

What happens when we get google mobile phones, are all phone re sellers listed at the bottom if they dont sell google phones ?

They were a search engine now they want to be the lord of rings, a big game all over $ and you can be a google ad word king or run your own ship.

But make no mistake directories will be the billbaords on the internet highway, they just want to have control and really is no more than these guys trying to build a monopoly. $ plain and simple

20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I know what you mean regarding that but submitters are your users too.

So you have changed your opinion?? your will be selling links :) if i may suggest what i have been feeling from your questions and from a few other peoples, is it sheer frustration? p'd off because business on the internet means jumping through hoops?

Well you know all of those people who say the search engines need cleaning up, well i think i realise that google does that then people look around not realising that it will affect them too.

With my full respect to everyone, i notice that the ones most angry are still unable to give solution answers to what they say that everyone else is doing wrong.
    I think their just looking for answers themselves but other people cant tell you what they dont know themselves, were all in the same boat, keep rocking it and you might go over board before you have even started.

Im a person who believes in freedom bobby9101, but you know the one thing that i accept is abide by googles guidelines or quit, i have to face that, i would be silly to think i can fight that, adapt, evolve but dont try and fight something that keeps the majority of things secret anyway.

I could complain but complaining wont make things go away.

pipes, Oct 13, 2007 IP