1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

FAO: Penalized Directory Owners

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Oct 10, 2007.

Has anybody tried to send a reinstatement request to Google via the Webmaster tools yet? I have been working on getting rid of all of my paid links, because as far as I can see that is the only thing I have been doing that is outside of the search engine guidelines, I hope that if I get rid of them all and then ask to be reinstated they will let me back in.

Dave E, Oct 10, 2007 IP
    msolution likes this.
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think gooogle can tell if you have bought paid links so I doubt that is the reason for your penalty, if in fact there even is one. Maybe your reinstatement request, admiting to getting rid of your paid links will get you banned?

jg123, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  3. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't see them being that harsh, millions of sites buy links and they know about it, all you have to do is type in any competitive phrase into Google and the results are riddled with blatant link buyers. Buying links is the only thing I have done wrong.

Dave E, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would wait and see how things play out over the next few months, at least until the next toolbar export is completed. What is the status of your rankings? Have you been improving at all? Are you basing this all on the fact that you are not ranking for your domain name?

jg123, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  5. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did not know that Google were cracking down after directories that offer paid links.
    Where did you get that info???

ablaye, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  6. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still the same, never inside the top 40 for any search that yields more then 40 results, at 1st I thought it would get sorted out by itself but since the 2nd round I am not so sure.

Dave E, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  7. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you think you got everything in order and ready then do what you got too and request the.... rEvIEw :)

malcolm1, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  8. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nearly there now, just a few more on and off site changes to make.

Dave E, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well stay away from that tool at ...neighborhood friendly :p

malcolm1, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Have any of the affected directory owners tried making a public stand about the questionable ethics in this industry? There was one troll mumbling something about the natural look. But he was almost inaudible at the time and appears to have gone very quiet. What happened? Was he muzzled by his peers or is it just stage fright that got to him?

That would be an interesting one to watch but maybe a little too obvious and especially for Google.

workshop, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  11. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am bemused how these issues seem to go on week after week ---- in what in my opinion are negative interpretations of the market

First G are not the net's policeman and second business is business which means that you are free to persue any legal avenue whatever you decide to focus on.

The net is a big big space and there is room for every type of commercial business type and that includes approving and/or rejecting Paid Directory Reviews

Lets make it crystal clear they are legal and yes there are thousands of Directories that offer Paid Reviews and they will be around in perpetuity :)

Moreover they will continue to build stronger, immoveable foundations :cool:

Astute business people move ahead of any prevailing market nuances, and lets not be naive on this subject there are many very astute Directory Owners who are experienced and savvy enough to make profitable revenue streams at all times

Today is no different in fact business today offers more opportunities than say one month ago, but it is knowing what those opportunities are, that is the key, and taking some revenue stream from that given opportunity

My background is working 100% with American Fortune 500 Companies where each negative issue must be offset by a positive issue

A lot more about business can be learned by adopting these proven winning policies :cool:

Think positive and be positive and you and your business will prevail in the medium to long term :)

britishguy, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    At least we are talking about reviews these days. So I suppose we are moving on but it would still be nice to see a few more people explaining why the change in direction was necessary rather than just papering over the cracks and pretending nothing happened. Honesty is also a good policy but maybe that doesn't really apply at the Fortune 500 company level.

workshop, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  13. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:

I guess it is like in AdSense.. once you screwed it up.. bye bye.

hyper, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  14. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said, British Guy. I completed my MBA degree 41 years ago, so I have a historical perspective over a long period of time on your comments. The changes in the business world in the last 41 years are astounding. Those businesses and entrepeneurs who sense the never-ending changes in the marketplace will position themselves to stay ahead of the moving train, not under its wheels. That may require minor, mid-course adjustments. Or it may require major changes to stay ahead of the market — the classic case being the hypothetical owner of the buggy whip factory who sold his factory just before the automobile hit the retail markets.

It's the same in the internet portion of the marketplace. The casualties will be high. Many webmasters will not sense the direction of the wind and will go backwards in productivity, as others with vision and imagination make the needed changes to stay in the forefront of today-and-tomorrow's markets, rather than just doing "what worked" yesterday.

Jim4767, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  15. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On the spot telephone interviews are a lot harder then they look ass hole. Gone quite? WTF is a troll? Nice looking website and directory you have got their by the way; they both look like something that you might scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

Dave E, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    an0n likes this.
  16. madhavweb

madhavweb Peon

Best Answers:
    If a directory site buy a link from other directory that could never be a penality. Buying link from pages related to your own site is never a penality and I am 100% sure about that. Romow.com has bought lot of links still it has not been penalized. Many directory owners are putting spamy keywords in title. Title must always be company name. You can check romow.com, dmoz, business.com, yahoo directory .All of them have company name in title. When you put spammy keywords in title it gives wrong search engine results. Directories doing that are getting penalized.

madhavweb, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you referring to me by any chance? :rolleyes:
    Wanna have some more fun?

Besides I am not quite - but you have lowered the standard of this section of DP so much so that, I will only post to have fun with you.

I am also preparing myself for the things I'll do during my 16days long holidays which starts from Monday onwards.

I'll be online all the time- so be careful -:rolleyes:

jhnrang, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  18. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought he was talking about me and my WebProNews interview, oh well, he is still an ass hole.

Dave E, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  19. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would wait and see what will happen. I hope google could give us the certain reason for the directory penalty

jetbrains, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  20. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't see the reason why are sites like payperpost or other blog networks get banned ? they also sell blog posts for higher SERP's ! why only directories ?? :(

Red_Virus, Oct 11, 2007 IP