1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anybody own any Google Stock?

Discussion in 'Google' started by tesla, Dec 4, 2005.

Man I wish I had brought some Google stock a year ago. I was checking a site online and 52 weeks ago Google stock was selling around 168 bucks a share. Now it is over 400 bucks! Man if I had got a thousand bucks worth of stock a year ago I could be a millionaire!

Anybody own any Google stock or wish they got some?

tesla, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    lol yea I certainly wish I had some.

mdvaldosta, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  3. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think the shareprice of Google can get higher, say in the thousands like Berkshire Hathaway? I will buy some in the future. I believe it will continue to go up for a while. Google is the next Microsoft. No doubt about it.

tesla, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  4. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    :eek: News to me.

You must be getting your information from the same pundits that said :

Microsoft can never catch Netscape in the browser wars.
    Microsoft can never compete against Sony and Nintendo in the console market.
    Microsoft can never get their smart TV (now Media Center) to outplace TiVO and/or the cable companies.

Well, all those bets were off. And I would (and do) bet with MSFT over GOOG for the long term any day of the week.

Nitin M, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    frankm likes this.
  5. S2X

S2X Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to buy some stocks in google right when they went public, but I was pretty much broke back then.

S2X, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  6. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    If you guys read the interview with Bill Gates. He had more examples that Nitin used. Good read and well deserved to set the plain microsoft haters straight.

INV, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  7. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand how buying a thousand dollars worth of stock from a year ago gets you to become a millionairre.

Can Google's stock appreciate more? Certainly... but look at its market cap. About $125 billion. If the stock hits just one thousand (let alone thousands), Google will have a market cap of over $300 billion making it worth more than Microsoft. Of course, getting in at a little over $400 a share and having it appreciate to $1,000 is a good profit. I'm just trying to point this out so people don't get carried away.

Plus, share price doesn't mean much and I'd have to believe that Google will choose to split its stock sooner or later.

vprp, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  8. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean $2000+ makes you a millionaire. Man I sure am one then :eek:

enQuira, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  9. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    1K Microsoft in 1986 would make you a millionaire if you sold at 2000 peak.

I own a lot of google. I wont disclose how much, but I have made alot. I buy in increments when ever the funds are available and by taking out large loans and with margin.

Without a doubt, google will be the first trillion dollar company ever. The forbes rich list will be dominated by google people. This will happen within 4-10 years. The current market cap of Google is 110 billion. Microsoft has a 300 billion market cap. Given the earnings and rise in price, a target of $4,000 a share for google isn't that unreasonable. And I will be able to easily retire when that happens.

Google completely domintes the internet. Ebay, Yahoo, and Microsoft are gonna feel the effect even more in the years to come as google continues to take marketshare.

Good for you, nindit.

But, microsoft actually lost 4 billion on the xbox. If you throw enough money at any project you can dominate. Doen't mean you will be profitable.

Smart TV? That is an oxymoron if I ever saw one.

Look at ross perot. He spent a record 48 million for his 1992 campaign but still lost.

IamNed, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  10. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I'd think that Mr Gates would see this as a loss leader. Sure they made a loss on it, sure it was 4 billion, but for MS that's chicken feed.

mnemtsas, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  11. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nitin you underestimate the power of Google. Microsoft is scared of them. It was in wired magazine that Microsoft tried to buy Google out for 10 billion bucks but Google went public instead.

Google will beat Microsoft. Microsoft has had its glory. Its come and gone. You can't make the type of money of Microsoft stock now that you can with Google.

When I was saying 1 thousand bucks I was just being figurative. I had money to buy Google stock when they first went public, but at the time I was vaguely aware of it.

To be honest with you all, I'd rather be here in this forum wishing I had purchased Google stock instead of saying I wish I hadn't.

tesla, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  12. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're optimistic, aren't you?

I predict that Googles peak will be around $ 480.00 before it comes down to a reasonable figure (guess, $130.00).

In case they want to get bigger and better then they will have to show more.

Arnie, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  13. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    Are you a financial advisor? You sound pretty certain. It seems to me that Google has so much in the works (GoogleBase, Real Estate with Google Earth, etc) that the price will continue to rise. Newpapers are loosing ad revenue to G. If that continues papers will fold, causing more revenue for online ads.

Matts, Dec 5, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  14. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to mention Android Systems, the secretive startup they bought out. People are speculating that they're working on a Google Cell Phone OS. Cell phone companies would pay big to have a "Powered by Google" logo on their marketing materials.

They're also moving towards becoming an ISP of sorts, buying up tons of fiber-optic networks nationwide.

Microsoft is a concern, no doubt. Once they get their PPC program up and running, they could afford to pay publishers 100% of ad revenue to get them on board, if they wanted to.

I own some Google stock, nothing big, but it's tucked away safely in a Roth IRA. Early this year people on seochat were talking about shorting Google, I warned'em not to mess with momentum like G has. Hopefully some of them listened.

And Google going to $130? Unlikely. They have tons of cash coming in, and the impressive growth to back up their Price/Earnings ratio. The only way I see them taking a huge dip like that is if MSN and Yahoo really get their search algos and PPC program to a point where they can compete. It ain't happening yet, but it could.

Sharpseo, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  15. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Optimistic and soon to be rich,,,

IamNed, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  16. cornelius

cornelius Peon

Best Answers:
    i can hear a bubble bursting

cornelius, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  17. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As someone said in the Wallstreet journal yesterday. "Sit at the exit"

"Google has 120 billion
    Sony has 35 billion -
    - one of the figures must be wrong"

What a true statement

It will be best for all when the attempts of buying influence at Google comes to a hault, so that Google can concentrate on what they should do.

The deals now at this pace are about influence and not about subjects which are Google related, - they are out of topic deals, which could send Google to a "Sandbox" of the stockmarket in the near future.

Arnie, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  18. advancedfuture

advancedfuture Banned

Best Answers:
    I for one think that google is a great company, but I do think that they are way overvalued. Reminds me back in 2000 when all the companies were trading at mad crazy heights. Yeah alot of people became .Com millionaires but the hype settled. The same will happen with google.

advancedfuture, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  19. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is like microsoft in 1997

IamNed, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  20. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    That type of logic is very dangerous, especially if you are basing your financial decisions on it. It's based on sentiment, not data. Look at some #s:

Google: Qtrly Revenue Growth (year over year): 95.90%
    Google: Qtrly Earnings Growth (year over year): 633.30%

Sony: Qtrly Revenue Growth (yoy): -3.30%
    Sony: Qtrly Earnings Growth (yoy): N/A

People want to invest in the next big thing, growth and potential. Sony is a great company, but they are not in the growth phase. They're mature, people don't pay as much for that. Side note - they are also facing increasing competition from Microsoft, threatening Playstation $.

Google has the potential to dominate the marketing industry for the near future. They might not do it, but the potential is there. Advertisers are moving away from old media, and G is in the right position to capitalize on this. They may be somewhat overpriced now, but I'm holding my stock.

Source: finance.yahoo.com

Sharpseo, Dec 7, 2005 IP
    Arnie likes this.