1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Computer Repair

Discussion in 'General Business' started by wierdo, Oct 9, 2007.

I am 15 thinking about making a computer repair business. If you're going to respond with "wait until you're older" or "you're too young" please don't respond as I'm not even seriously considering it yet.

I want to know what you think would be a good price to charge, special offers, other input, ect. I had the ideas of a "if we can't fix it it's free" policy and meeting customers in the local WalMart's parking lot to exchange computers (mom's paranoid about anyone coming to our house). Also, company name ([mylastname] Computer Repair?) and slogan are good.

Thanks for the input!

wierdo, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  2. jmhyer123

jmhyer123 Peon

Best Answers:
    That would depend (the price) it depends on what service you are doing, how long it takes, how many employees you have, start up costs, etc. It all factors into what you charge for your services (That's Economics 101 ;)) There is no way to decide for sure what you will charge for services (a set price) but I would say about $12-15/hr will get you ALOT of business because everybody else usually charges about $30-50/hr.

Just my experience :D

jmhyer123, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  3. wierdo

wierdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

I wouldn't have any employees. I am after all 15. I think that $12-15 an hour is good, I was considering a $20 flat fee, but that sounds more reasonable.

Thank you for your quick response.

wierdo, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  4. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm 16 and I have a computer repair business in my area. I fix computers for $25 an hour. With this price I can low-ball all my competition. I advertise in the paper, soon to be at the movie theater, and a lot of other places. I am always busy with jobs and make a lot of $$$. You will meet a lot of STUPID people (no offense). There is a lot you will have to deal with. My big step was getting my drives license, that was HUGE with my business, no i can go where i want, when i want.

My advice is, try your hardest, start slow at first. I do the "If i don't fix it, I don't get paid" tagline. Check my site out for ideas. www.HelpMeMike.com

MikeLugar, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    wierdo likes this.
  5. chickens

chickens Peon

Best Answers:
    When I was 15 I had a computer service business; it failed miserably. I charged to little and spent too much time and effort. It was a great experience and I learned a ton, but I earned almost no money.

What I did was go around to other people's locations and fix their computers for them. I would also pick up computers and work on them at home. I mainly worked on peoples computers that I knew, teachers, family friends, etc. There was even a point where I was given a period in school to do computer tasks. I used this time to fix peoples computers around the school.

During this period of time I learned that I do not dealing with end users. I love technology, just not the people. For this reason I now work on servers and only deal with people via email and IM.

Starting a business of this sort is a great idea and you learn a lot about yourself. I highly suggest doing what you can, just dont expect to make a ton of money. You might get lucky, but dont expect it.

Good luck and have fun.

chickens, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  6. richt71

richt71 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I personally think you'll find it very hard to get people to hand you their laptop over in a parking lot. I had a similar business in the UK and I found you either need to fix a their homes or you need a business premise for them to visit. Could you rent a room in a mall or above an existing shop perhaps for people to bring their computers too?

richt71, Oct 9, 2007 IP