1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why do we fear muslims so much?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by judetheobscure, Oct 9, 2007.

i have several theories as to why there is a very real and palpable fear of muslims today, and it is not just down to terrorist attacks though that has of course exacerbated the problem.
    the thing is both christianity and judaism, the other two main world religions have been known to the western world for centuries. right back in the time of the holy crusades, jewish exiles were forced to find refuge in western countries and so the religion became familiar to western nations, and in turn jewish exiles became westernised over the centuries and so integrated more fully. as for christianity, well it was never a middle eastern religion, but a western take on middle eastern religion under the direct supervision of Paul who took it to rome.
    however, by comparison islam for centuries stayed within the middle east, asia, and the far east, only migrating to the west in the past century. so it is by definition an 'alien' religion to the west and as such is percieved as something to be feared.
    also before the iranian revolution islam was a dormant force throughout the world but following the revolution muslims with an axe to grind against the west realised that they could use their religion to aid them in their fight, and so the 'jihad' was born.
    am not sure what you think about this, or whether you have your own theories?

judetheobscure, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  2. dimeadozen

dimeadozen Guest

Best Answers:
    I can see this thread taking off real quick, specially by asking for all theories.

Why do we fear muslims so much ? - BTW, I do not fear muslims and as you say there is so many theories to go around but if I had to pin point a few things that stand out and make me think why people are to fear muslims it would be the fact that there religion is second highest with a lot of individuals in the world converting to there religion - which can cause conflict and make people fear at there growing foundation.

The idea that some god that has never been witnessed dictates through a book to them how and why they should live makes them questionable and sits uneasy with some.

The way they dress is a key factor to some on fear...

But in my own individual opinion there is nothing to fear they are human and honest individuals until proven other wise.

dimeadozen, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  3. judetheobscure

judetheobscure Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree, the people are just people, to be treated the same as anyone else, but it is the religion they represent that others fear.

judetheobscure, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  4. progresivo

progresivo Peon

Best Answers:
    Radical muslims may be feared for obvious reasons though.

progresivo, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  5. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most don't fear them, most dislike or hate them. Big difference.
    Do you think the country was unified after 9/11 to go into Afghanistan and Iraq because they scared, or pissed off? The answer may surprise you. The only thing I'm truly scared of are spiders, millipedes, and roaches :D

Actually I'm OK with roaches, but I get freaked out when they actually get on my skin. But spiders and millipedes, I don't even want to see those things.

ly2, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  6. dimeadozen

dimeadozen Guest

Best Answers:
    Lol, it's the legs thing right? Yeah me too I hate crawlies...

And you question has a 50/50 response they went because they were scared and went determined because they were pissed off!

7. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know a SINGLE person who was scared of muslims or 9/11 after 9/11. Unless you're flying with people who appear to be muslims, that always stirrs the pudding. It's about dislike and anger.

ly2, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  8. dimeadozen

dimeadozen Guest

Best Answers:
    Fear is in the underlining of anger, you cant honestly say that for all of those who have gone to war they have had no fear (no matter how small) of any muslims? That's terribly naive of you, if there was no fear of muslims then we would not be were we are at today. You get to anger and dislike once you have passed fear!

9. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the guys going to war. They are fearing death which the muslims could bring. That I understand.

I was speaking about regular non-soldiers living in America.

ly2, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  10. dimeadozen

dimeadozen Guest

Best Answers:
    And to say you were unified to go to Iraq and Afghanistan is wrong aswell btw

Okay in general, I am still going with the same response no matter how much everyone is to deny that they had no fear is bs. No matter how long it lasted or is lasting the majority of Americans feared muslims on 9/11.

11. Xplicit.Syrian

Xplicit.Syrian Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the biggest mistakes is labeling Islam as religion of terrorism. Any religion out there preach for peace, love, heavens, honesty, etc.. There isn't any part of Islam that preach for hate, suicide killing, raping, etc.. When the terrorist attack occurred in Oklahoma state at the FBI headquarters building, the news media launched its propaganda about Islam and terrorism. Long after they found out it was a White American guy "Christian" that committed that attack, i never recall the news media labeling that attack as "Christian terrorism".

So to answer your question, its the media that build fear in people. The media constantly attack Muslims. If a Muslim guy committed the Virgenia Tech attack at the college campus, it would have been automaticly labeled as Islamic terrorism.

There are good and bad people in each religion, so you shouldnt be judging the religion as whole because 1% of them are bad.

Xplicit.Syrian, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    ravianz likes this.
  12. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:

You are showing your ignorance proudly - so if you are a white American male it makes you a Christian??? oh my. Stop listening to the imams and get a dose of reality.

debunked, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  13. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What would you call it then?

d16man, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  14. Xplicit.Syrian

Xplicit.Syrian Peon

Best Answers:
    Criminals do those sort of things. So i would call it a "Criminal" not a "Muslim Terrorist"

15. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Syrian, i would call it muslim extremism just like i would call it christian extremism. Anytghing extreme is referred to extremism. I have friends from all religions and even atheists, and none of my muslim friends has ever acted violently towards me. on the contrary, they have always treated me and my beliefs with respect. Now if we can only get your presidents intelligence apparatus out of lebanon lol heheh.

pingpong123, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  16. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For the 1,973,238,573TH time, when they do it in the name of their 'religion' then it's a religious crime. Period.

ly2, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    debunked likes this.
  17. Xplicit.Syrian

Xplicit.Syrian Peon

Best Answers:
    lol you are right, they need to get out of lebanon, its not funny anymore. Beside to tell you the truth, i dont conisder that guy my president. he was never elected by the people, and i dont think anyone would realy want this moron.

18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are showing your ignorance proudly - so if you are a Brown Arab male it makes you a Muslim??? oh my. Stop listening to the preachers and get a dose of reality. :rolleyes::D

gworld, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  19. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ignorance.

guerilla, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  20. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So if I commit an atrocity in the name of Judaism, is that a religious crime? I'm not Jewish btw.

Let's say I commit an atrocity and upon investigation, someone finds out that my great-great-grandfather was Hindu. Was it a crime of Hindu-Fascism? But wait, my grandmother was Lutheran. Is that a crime of Fasco-Lutheranism? Perhaps it is a crime of Hindu-Lutheran-Anglican-Catholic Extremism.

Hitler claimed to be a Christian. Was the holocaust a crime of Christianity?

guerilla, Oct 9, 2007 IP