1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo! is Penalizing Co-Op Sites [Proof]

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by rex_b, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    1.In general both refers to
    2. archiving
    3. due to the fact that i (no full stop/ capitalization)
    4. incoming and outgoing links are part of what our ranking algorithm considers- (ambigious)
    5. it depends on -(it is dependent on)

Im starting to doubt that quote was from an email from yahoo in the first place.

Design Agent, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    By the way, rex, did you ever have a look at the thread referenced in the link from this post on page 1 of this thread?

In particular, this post from palespyder:

minstrel, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  3. rex_b

rex_b Peon

Best Answers:
    You want the email?

rex_b, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  4. rex_b

rex_b Peon

Best Answers:
    Never said it did, just posting it for information. People do come here for that.

rex_b, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  5. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    it's not inconceivable Yahoo! would have a language challenged employee...suspiciously quick turnaround on that question though!

jazzylee77, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Mostly because they have a fraction of the coop weight I had

ferret77, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    So it's NOT the Coop Ad Network ads per se but the sudden appearance of a large number of links? Is that what you're saying?

I don't believe that was the point rex_b was trying to make. He was saying he had "proof" that Yahoo doesn't like the Coop.

minstrel, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  8. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    I agree. I see no direct signs of trouble and have been using coop for a year. If the SE's are truly looking at the big picture then they shouldn't -- they just need to account for it.

Matts, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  9. Matts

Matts Berserker

Best Answers:
    How can sharing free ads be compared to criminal activities? Most of us are using lots of free tools like php, freebsd, mysql, linux, apache, gd, etc giving us a competitive advantage over those paying thousands of dollars to license Windoze or IBM Websphere. Microsoft has been whining about this for some time and but they don't have a real argument. Back to the coop, I don't feel the SEs can make a moral case against free ad networks. If they really had a case they'd contact Shawn and have him do something to help them -- but's it's really the SE's issue to resolve any extra ranking caused by the coop.

In my opinion, it's more likely that a sudden large jump in back links caused by joining the coop that could hurt SERPs and not the coop in general. That's part of the google patent. Sitting quiet and staying with the coop could have been just as rewarding as leaving -- maybe better.

As for crooks, the number is about 1 in 10, so we each know a few and probably don't even know it.

Matts, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Not particularly, but you can send it if you like ;)

Design Agent, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Unless it is forwarded in its entirety, with headers intact, it won't mean a damn thing. Even rex can edit text, I presume. :rolleyes:

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  12. rex_b

rex_b Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow so now I'm faking emails. You guys are pathetic.

rex_b, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  13. elkiwi

elkiwi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not an SEO expert but the program I use to analise my pages (web ceo) always tells me that the major se's don't like keyword repetition in description and keyword tags.

<meta name="keywords" content="Cruise Line Forums - Cruise Reviews, Cruise Ports, Cruise Destinations, Cruise Ships, Cruise Excursions, carnival, royal carribean, western carribean, eastern carribean, hawaii, cruising, travel, alaskan cruise, cruise ships, norwegian cruise line, disney cruise line, cruise critics, fun ships, freestyle, cruise news, princess cruise, europe cruise, mexico cruise" />

<meta name="description" content="Cruise Line Forums - Cruise Reviews, Cruise Ports, Cruise Destinations, Cruise Ships, Cruise Excursions" />
    Code (markup):
    You don't need to repeat the word cruise in either...your description could be:

Cruise Line Forums - Cruise Reviews,  Ports,  Destinations, Cruise Ships, and Excursions
    Code (markup):
    I rekon this is a more likely reason for your serps.

elkiwi, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  14. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    More? :D
    Send minstrel the email and he'll tell you if its fake..

Design Agent, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Or just see elkiwi's post above. :rolleyes:

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  16. rex_b

rex_b Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll give it a try.

rex_b, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  17. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    let me know how that works out for you Rex. I may need to take a close look at my keyword and description usage as well.

I rank pretty well on google, and MSN, but for the past couple months my rankings have been dead for yahoo. I have one keyword ranking high, the rest dont even achieve top 200 presense.

The only common denominator we both have is coop ads. In the past couple weeks, my coop weight has finaly increased from 2,000 to 23,000. As a result, google rankings and MSN rankings have both climbed rather well. My lone yahoo keyword ranking dropped.

SportsOutlaw, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  18. hunter

hunter Peon

Best Answers:
    No proof in that canned message got one today exactly the same. Never heard of coop might have to give it a try.

Two points
    1. I got reply way too fast for Yahoo to have checked my site (just a few hours). To get actual human support from Yahoo takes days (sometimes weeks) not hours. The message is generic and doesn't help in the least.

2. I checked my server logs No accesses from Yahoo corp IP addresses. The email did in fact originate from Yahoo-inc IP block. I halfway expected it to come from Yahoo China. I doubt they would mask or spoof the IP and it would have been obvious what they looked at. I wish they had bothered to check my site, my server logs would have told more than any email ever could.

I am thinking about sending an inquiry about somebody elses domain at random that have decent but not stellar rankings in Yahoo just to see if I get same reply.

hunter, Dec 7, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.