1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Important is Domain Age

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by twalters84, Oct 7, 2007.

1. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is useless to buy a domain for its age, although domain age is a ranking factor, owner changes are registrated and what counts for you is the time YOU own the domain.

My observation, registrating directly for 5 years helps a bit in the beginning.
    As a SEO for more than 10 years now I obsereved a good "push" in the SERPs after two years in general.

So I advise all my clients, that in terms of SEO the real ranking starts after two years.

In two years I do usually achieve hundreds of top 10 rankings with a 30% about being #1 and when the site ownership passes the two years age, suddenly and without counting the ongoing optinization or an algo change the #1 ranking changes to a 50 - 60%.
    No doubt the the site passed a certain "time/age barrier"

monfis, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  2. valueitsolutions

valueitsolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain Name having the keywords and old carry have more value than the domain names that are new!!

valueitsolutions, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  3. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If you read i stated i sell them, as the age benefit alone is minimal. I've got one owner domains from the 90's, if they have been parked they don't have any noticable boost when setting up a site.

As for how long one person has owned it, not sure how you come up with that one.. I've had alot of old one owner sites, sold them and the domain retained rankings perfectly regardless of the whois change.

If Shawn sold Digipoint today, i'd lay money on it the rankings wouldn't sink just because the Whois data changed.

Even Matt Cutts has stated Google doesn't look at the future Whois date for any ranking factors, so placebo maybe.

I notice a push if the site is SEO'd properly, has good content and a solid backlink profile from a variety of sources regardless of the domains age.

Two years for some real rankings? Ouch!

sweetfunny, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  4. Dal

Dal Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say domain age is pretty darn important.

Dal, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  5. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

I did not realize this was going to be a really long discussion. Thanks for all the comments so far. I was hoping there was an easy answer :)

At the very least, I guess we can agree that people have a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to SEO.

Two years for high rankings? Well, I guess that would depend on how competitive a keyword is. I would imagine "freelance programming" to be pretty popular.

One of the reasons I asked the question in the first place because I was considering purchasing a domain that had "freelance" in the domain name.

What do you think carries more weight, domain age or having a keyword in the domain name?

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  6. freediver

freediver Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides domain age, important factor is domain registration period. If you are registered for 5 years you will look better in eyes of search engine then if you are only for 1 year.

freediver, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  7. junki

junki Guest

Best Answers:
    When you have two website with same pontential the one that have longer domain age will get higher result so focus on optimizing your webpage it the only way to get higher result there.

junki, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  8. jkm

jkm Member

Best Answers:
    More weight on the links that got old domain thru the years in internet. If you take 5 years old domain, which was registered and no links, no website on them there is no difference in rankings.

jkm, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  9. boil3r

boil3r Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Domain age is very important in SEO.

boil3r, Oct 9, 2007 IP