1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS system with tree structure for articles?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by fcmisc, Nov 15, 2005.

Hi,

Are there any free CMS systems that have

- a tree structure for the articles
    - user reviews and feedback

???

I spent half the evening playing with Joomla only to find that it's flat. And the 3rd party components don't look free.

I'd like to be able to group articles similar to the way I've done it here: http://www.personal-finance.tv/. But my site isn't ideal as it's very untidy and doesn't have the user feedback option among other things.

Kind regards,

fcmisc.

fcmisc, Nov 15, 2005 IP
    Johnn likes this.
  2. schmeg007

schmeg007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also been lucking for something like this for my new project. Anyone have any insight on this?

schmeg007, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  3. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked out the Drupal demo:

http://demo.opensourcecms.com/drupal/?q=forum/1

user admin
    password demo

The interface looks childish, but the functionality looks pretty sweet and with a new template I recon it would be great.

Could anyone here share some views of drupal?

Kind regards,

fcmisc.

fcmisc, Nov 15, 2005 IP
  4. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try out the docsman component of joomla. I liked the way it was setup.

jeeplaw, Nov 18, 2005 IP
    Johnn likes this.
  5. Windows-Update-Advisor

Windows-Update-Advisor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You definitely must try out Drupal, your layout will be more organized

Windows-Update-Advisor, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  6. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Once you get the hang of drupals vocabulary and terms setup you can organize things any way you want. It's very flexible, but some of the nomenclature is bewildering at first. You may want to browse some of the modules at http://drupal.org/project/Modules

I've come up with a standard set of modules I load with each install. There are different types of menus, flexinode allows creation of new content types.

Keyword links is a cool tool that I haven't used much. You can create keywords in content that will link to other "nodes" (content types). Even if that node doesn't exist yet.

There is a "comments" that can be activated for content types that could be retitled for reviews I suppose. I assume you mean reviews of the articles? "How do you rate this article?" poll would be accomplished with nodevote module, and users can even earn points for voting and you can give them fabulous prizes!

The "feedback" module is basically a contact us form.

Detailed documentation is lacking, but they generally do what they say in the short descriptions. Plan on doing a lot of testing. I have a couple test sites that I load with drupal modules in nonspidered folders. Actually this reminds me I have and empty domain http://www.drupaltest.com/ I think I'll wait till the next version looks stable and load that up.

jazzylee77, Dec 3, 2005 IP
    Johnn likes this.
  7. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    jazzylee77, Dec 3, 2005 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  8. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the info jazzylee77. It looks like you know quite a lot about drupal!

I've got it installed on a test site and have been experimenting with the "article" module to do what I want with regards to the tree structure. It's not quite perfect (seems to return lots of errors if a term is empty), but due to the open source nature I'm probably just going to modify it myself.

Good luck!

fcmisc.

fcmisc, Dec 4, 2005 IP