1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO For Wordpress Blogs?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tetley07, Oct 6, 2007.

Hey,

I'm planning a few new projects at the moment and some of the sites will be using wordpress blogs for content management.

I am pretty much useless at SEO so thought I would ask here coz I know there are some experts on it here.

For the amount of content that will be posted on these blogs, I think there could be a lot of opportunity for search engine traffic, can you guy's tell me what I need to do in order to optimize my blogs?

Think if you had a standard wordpress blog with no changes made to it at all, what are all the things you would you do to optimize it?

Other than building links, of course, I'm talking about on page optimization.

Thanks a lot ;-)

tetley07, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  2. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
  3. WebTalkVB

WebTalkVB Peon

Best Answers:
    WordPress is pretty good with SEO straight out of the box, but the only major improvement I ever make is to change the permalinks to go straight to the post, e.g. http://www.domain.com/this-post/. If you get what I am saying. I don't know myself anything you change for WordPress.

WebTalkVB, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  4. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As WebTalkVB said, WordPress system is pretty much seo friendly, but it needs just some few plugins and hacks to be implemented.

I have wrote 10 SEO tips for wordpress which might be useful to you. But those tips are all as far as it regards the on-page seo.

Trapped, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  5. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're missing the tip of having the article title as the meta description + keyword.

ForgottenCreature, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  6. logodesign77

logodesign77 Peon

Best Answers:
    The All-In-One plug in appears to be a very good tool for SEO. I have used it on three of my blogs and all three are doing well. Even the new blogs seem to get a boost from this plug in as it lets you set the home page title and then you can go on to do the descriptions and keywords.

This plugin allows you to enter what you want for the Home Page Title and Home Page Description as well as Home Keywords. This will add the Description and Keywords meta tags to your blog and rather than having your Home Page Title default to the name of your blog you can enter exactly what you want your Home Page Title to say.

You also have the option of selecting a box that will automatically go back through your blog and rewrite all the titles to correspond with your blog entry title.

Other options include:

-Post Title Format
    -Page Title Format
    -Category Title Format
    -Archive Title Format
    -Tag Title Format
    -Search Title Format

By manually entering each of these titles you give yourself the ability to narrow down your target keywords, descriptions and keywords which ultimately will help your search return rankings.

The one feature I especially like is the Post Title Format which combines the Post Title with the Blog Title.

You can find the plug in by going to google and doing a search for All In One WP Plugin........... (I am still new here so I cant do a link yet)

logodesign77, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  7. GMROCKS

GMROCKS Active Member

Best Answers:
    making a site map would be wise...

GMROCKS, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  8. WebTalkVB

WebTalkVB Peon

Best Answers:
    I might have to try the All in one SEO pack, it sounds pretty darn good.

WebTalkVB, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  9. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have covered that in the title optimization post.

You should try it, it is indeed damn good. I hesitated to use it either, but ended up using it just because i could of specify description for each post (I had solved the title problem with a hack, but than removed it once I installed the all in one seo pack plugin).

Trapped, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  10. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I change the permalinks too. Sometime I also install a plugin to add a description meta tag.

live-cms_com, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  11. TextLinkCenter

TextLinkCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    Sort of and NOT EVEN CLOSE all at the same time.

In it's stock condition, Wordpress is duplicate content overload. The good news is that with minimal changes (about 20 minutes of work), you can make Wordpress a TOTAL hotrod.

I've got a product for this that I'll be releasing fairly soon. I may send it to you as a BETA test. Send me a PM.

Brandon

TextLinkCenter, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  12. tetley07

tetley07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guy's,

Thanks for all the feedback, I checked out the blog post and it was very helpful.

Brandon, that sounds great, thanks, I'll shoot you a pm.

Cheers everyone ;-)

tetley07, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  13. dapyx

dapyx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    dapyx, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  14. rawwebdesign

rawwebdesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AAHHHH. This is a great thread.

I make my whole living doing Wordpress SEO.

I'd say that duplicate content is the single biggest issue with WP out of the box. There are a whole bunch of other issues.

Although WP is good with SEO out-of-the-box compared to the "other guys", it is by no means good, nor is it built to be an SEO fiend. There are a whole bunch of things that one can do, and a lot of them have been mentioned above. Have you thought about the Usability of your site? Or the Information Architecture? I'm not just bullshitting you here, but most blogs have terrible navigation and can't make a sale for their life.

I would focus on doing exceptional SEO &AND& Making sure that your blog is built with Usability in mind.

-Brad

rawwebdesign, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  15. princess.donna

princess.donna Peon

Best Answers:
    it is the same as doing seo to other sites. as for me, link building and content are the keys

princess.donna, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  16. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As rawwebdesign said, The duplicate content thing is the biggest issue for SEO on a WP blog.. because the one post has 3-4 different urls.. i.e., the main page /blog/, the main post blog/catagory/post, the categories blog/category/categoryname and the archives blog/year/month/

Although, this can cause issues, I really do not mind much as WP kicks ass.. There are always some drawbacks, give and take to a good set up.. Can't have your cake and eat it too! :rolleyes:

Boulder

Boulder, Oct 7, 2007 IP