1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Project Specifications - SEO Question

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by twalters84, Oct 5, 2007.

Hey there,

For those that do not know yet, I am making a freelance programming website in my spare time.

One of the pages is a project specification page. This page basically says what types of projects are allowed on the website.

The content of the page contains non-attractive terms like viruses, worms, etc. It basically says this type of stuff is not allowed.

As a SEO consulant, would you advise me not to index this page? Furthermore, would you disallow this page from being accessed in the robots.txt file?

I do not want crawlers associating my pages with these unattractive terms, nor do I want any penalizations because that is not what my site is about.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  2. kelouba

kelouba Peon

Best Answers:
    If you dont want Google to spider those pages, just make them no follow.

I personally would not worry about it. Information on viruses and worms is good for the internet. It opens people eyes as to the possible problems they may encounter by downloading stuff, opening emails, etc.

As long as you dont promote the creation of viruses and worms I dont think its a problem.

You may have a problem if you tell people that they are not allowed to have projects on viruses or worms. If you tell people they cant do something they will want to do it even more. You may have idiots trying to sabotage the site with viruses just because you tell them no.

kelouba, Oct 6, 2007 IP
    twalters84 likes this.
  3. twalters84

twalters84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

Thanks for the concern and the prompt response.

I am not sure how somebody could sabotage the website. All uploads are going to be done as zip files. Theres not going to be any script on the website that will unzip these files. They are used for transfer only between the coders and buyers.

There are a lot of freelance programming websites out there and most of them have some form of project specifications.

I do not think it is going to be a huge problem, but I am definately going to keep my eye out for vulnerabiltiies.

I was just more concerned with search engines associating my website with these terms.

Thanks again for the response.

Sincerely,
    Travis Walters

twalters84, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  4. Aaron111

Aaron111 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kelouba I agree with this" lol" If you dont want Google to spider those pages, just make them no follow.

Aaron111, Oct 6, 2007 IP