1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Self-servers, how much bandwidth do you have?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Help Desk, Nov 29, 2005.

For those of you that host your own site(s), how much bandwidth do you have?

Help Desk, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Have cut way back as I have a contact who now host large music files for me on a unmetered server.

Only use maybe 40GB/month now on content sites.

ServerUnion, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  3. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to host on my own 4Mbit/768Kbit adsl - the site uses about 140GB/month and it actually worked ok'ish. I stopped doing it as browsing eventually got a bit slow, even with QoS.

blinxdk, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    didn't understand the question, sorry, I do not host off of a private line ;)

ServerUnion, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  5. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Do you mean those of us who have a dedicated server colocated somewhere else, or those of us who host from home?

I don't host from home myself - (a) would overload the DSL, (b) against the TOS, and (c) unreliable...though better than it used to be.

davert, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  6. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I use about 3800 GB per month.

mystikmedia, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not run a server from home but have a dedicated server via co-location.
    It is a unmetered connection but all my clients only use about total of 90GB a month right now.

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  8. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was asking more for those that host at home. Static IPs still seem just too expensive in my neighbor-hood.

Help Desk, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  9. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    I just signed up for DSL at http://www.infoblvd.net. I get a static IP (obviously it is needed for hosting) 3000 down and 384 up. This is all for $49.95 a month. A little pricey but better than Verizon's 3000/768 for $79.95 a month. Also with Verizon you can not run an E-Commerce site. For that you would need to pay $234.95.

InfoBlvd is just a reseller of Verizon's service but it looks to be much better than the http://www.buffnet.com service that I had played around with previously. Perhaps I will upgrade in the future once my sites start getting some real traffic. For now this should be more than sufficent for forums and light graphics.

Help Desk, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  10. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is for $10 a month you can get hosting at a real datacenter, not sure why hosting in you bedroom would even be an option.

A server in your basement isn't hosting in my books...

ServerUnion, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  11. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    I see what you are saying. However my needs are different. In order to get the full flexibility that I want in order to develop things I need a stand alone server. Having a shared environment is slow and consumes too much of my time doing things via FTP or through existing interfaces.

If I could get a solution like that where I could Remote Desktop in and have free reign for $10, $20 or even $40 a month I would do so.

Keep in mind that I am using Microsoft (Yes I'm sorry) products, not PHP or Linux.

12. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    The real answer might be in development, not hosting. Why not have a development machine at home (I have a few I use to dev use) Then deploy the sites to a more pro hosting setup.

You need to ask yourself, "What am i doing that is custom and will I have revenue to offset the cost of the custom development."

To keep a good level of hosting in your home you will need bandwidth from 2 sources and battery backups for your machines. Dont forget about getting liscensed software and keeping up with all the security patches.

13. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Backups will actually be better than other solutions. I will have automatic VPN to a seperate machine that backs up nightly.

Also I just got a free production copy of Visual Studio and SQL server. All that I need is the OS and I will be golden.

14. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have hosted from home for years.

It's how I launch a bunch of my startup sites before they start getting traffic.

My blog is and has always been on my home server (Dell Poweredge 400sc).

I never have really monitored by bandwidth monthly usage. It's kind of a perk of having a home server to not have to.

But recently I realized that it is nice to know how much you are saving in bandwidth by hosting from home so I added awstats to my server. Only been a week though :)

GeorgeB., Dec 1, 2005 IP
  15. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    make sure you read the fine print on the MS liscensing. They have done some changes to SQL liscensing. Some releases actuall count each unique web user as a user, instead of when IIS was the user.

I am curious what functionality you are using that you need a dedicated machine. Interested as I am a .NET developer myself and am always interested with what others are using.

16. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    On one server I use like 400gb while my other 250gb. My package has 1000gb for each server.

RectangleMan, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  17. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    The first thing that comes to mind are services. You can't create your own. Secondly, backups. You can not do SQL Server backups in a hosted environment. You can also through security into there. If you are working locally, there is no FTP'ing to intercept. Also all of your passwords are more private. A major portion is SQL Server hosting as well. To get a hosted 1gig database it is way more than $10 a month. Also if you host your own you have full control to roll it back to anypoint in time.

There are more but those where the random ones that popped to mind.

Help Desk, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  18. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    I have to say though, the next version of IIS is going to make hosted options more popular. They are seperating each directory and the web.config is going to act kind of like an .htaccess file. One of MS's next big pushes is going to be to get a higher percentage of small time web masters. They finally realize that these same people who have personal websites also make up a large portion of the enterprise developers.

Help Desk, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  19. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    I rent a dedicated server now, all the pleasures of hosting at home, without the need to worry about bandwidth and UPS.

All backups and transfers are done via scp so no cleartext passwords are sent.

blinxdk, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  20. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try for 3 dollars a month you can get a half a terrabyte of low latency transfer at a real data center.

I self host most of my domains off a 1.5/768 line at home, several pr3's and a couple pr4's. I never see any lag caused by the web servers. I pay 89 bucks a month for 4 static ip's. I sure wouldn't do it for just the web servers as 69 bucks a month will get a dedicated p4 server that someone else pays the electricity on and 2 terabytes of transfer. I do it because it is convenient and because I want to, not because it makes financial sense. Us computer geeks need something to amuse us.

ziandra, Dec 2, 2005 IP