1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Penalzation Round 2

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks JG. Yeah-unfortunately its late --but better late than never.:p

I continue to argue with him because --I want to give him his medicine back. Nobody should be allowed to talk non-sense . He talks non-sense- he gets non-sense from me, he talks sense- he gets it from me.

If I can't win, I won't let him win either bcoz you guys are too modest.

Yes- all my directories are not ranking--but who told you they are penalized?
    I always believe Google has put a temporary-manual cap on them -because directories are the ones that sell most site-wide links. There are some who don't sell them but -in same cap. Why?
    Bcoz G wants to test their algo with directories. Once the process is finished --all will be back. I am expecting all to be over by middle of November.

G has already started PR update-- but I guess its reviewing most sites. I also noticed that sites having sitewide links are loosing PR by 1.

Bigweblinks is PR6 now, SEROUNDTABLE -a blog Matt Cutts also read is down to PR6 from PR7.

And by the way-- what do you mean by editorial integrity?:rolleyes:

Can you gimme a definition?

What I understand is --it all depends on the individuals outlook, views and judgement.
    My judgement will differ a lot with that of any of my fellow directory owners/editors bcoz we have wholly different background, social values, outlook. Is it difficult to understand that point?

Come out of your narrow shell--have a look at the world atlas and see how big/how different/how enormous the world is. And all things on this planet are different from each other. So learn how to live with others, how to accomodate others rather than criticizing baselessly.

And who are you to decide which is link spam? Is not Google there which has set a standard? Only Google can tell ya--not someone middle-age minded people like you. Maybe -you still think they way people used to think in the 14th-15th centuries.:rolleyes:

jhnrang, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    whose directory was that listed in? Whilst the first was spam, it will have been useful to some. Those with problems like john mentioned.

The second is MFA, for sure. However its only just an MFA. It has a good layout, uses its own code and has a lot of content. Its not PLR articles posted on a blog.

mikey1090, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I also need the money but I wont accept either MFA or link spam. Thats called editorial integrity but if you dont understand the meaning of the word integrity nothing I say is going to make the blindest bit of difference. Googles next move is going to be interesting and all one can hope is that you have learnt something despite all the bluster and bravado.

But to get back to the point, I was asking is if every penalised site is not the victim of a proxy attack, could this not be an attempt at damage control and could it not be self inflicted? Actually dont bother. There is no need ;)
    The one was Aviva and the other off alang's profile

workshop, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  4. kewler

kewler Peon

Best Answers:
    what's all the talk about penalized directories? directories are dead for some time already... no?

kewler, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  5. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmm i asked this question to Mr. Rand Fishkin who talk so highly about quality directories and will ask you the same question as you seem to know so much.

Should Adult sites and Gambling sites be allowed in a general directory ??? Or even a MFA site should it be allowed in a general directory ???

Why do i ask this question? (truly honestly i looked at it with various point of views and couldn't find the answer as you know i am so young and immature and have no idea whats going on in this industry)

Well here is my justification: Since a purpose of webdirectory is to be a good resource for the end-user and provide backlinks to webmasters as you defined in above posts. If your directory is a general directory than it must contain all subjects for it to be general otherwise it is not general because you are not offering a certian type of resource to your end user... and that can have a bad impression of your directory. I ask since adult sites and gambling sites and MFA sites are all websites and there are many young immature kids or even some desperate old people looking for adult sites to entertain themself, Many who is in desperate need of money are looking for gambling sites, and those who have nothing better to do want to look at MFA sites, so should it be required by a general directory to not be so close minded and accept all these sites ?? Or you define quality as in just don't add those sites because the rest of the world frowns upon it.

I mean if a directory is general it should have adult category and gambling category and mfa category for it to be general and cover all subjects. Even Search-Engines show MFA site and your GOD (Google) displays adult sites so will you follow their footsteps and display adult sites / MFA sites / Gambling sites in your directory ???

Eagered to know the opinion of Directory Master and the editorial integrity..

smub, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  6. alang

alang Notable Member

Best Answers:
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The American and Chinese governments don't like internet gambling and they might be morally wrong but spam no. I do agree that the directory master should have edited the anchor text to use capitals. However he speaks and writes English as a second language and we can address those sort of technicalities later. MFA is a different story and I don't care how much money they spend on it, its still junk and no reasonable person would think of even trying to justify its inclusion in a quality directory. Its dishonest.

And if you want to know why our sites have a better chance of weathering the storms of time, its simple. We are not dishonest. If every penalised site is not the victim of a proxy attack, could this not be an attempt at damage control and could it not be self inflicted? Maybe we should tackle that question after all.

workshop, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  8. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Workshop, i think that must be the 10th time i have seen you ask that question, I'ts like a recuring nightmare in my head.

Is there any chance you could use the contact us option for the site/s in question and take the matter up with those concerned in email or PM in an attempt that the rest of us can stop seeing the stuff posted in every post and get back to being posiitve.

I for one simply don't care to keep watch on other peoples back yards when i have my own.

DownUnder, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  9. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    That is catchy! Well done.

floppydrivez, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I also get tired of seeing the same garbage over and over again and its unfortunate but forums are no longer used to debate issues. They become the personal stamping ground of entrenched interests and if you want to make a point you have to bludgeon your opposition into submission. However glad to see you are getting the message. What about the personal attacks and ludicrous arguments that dribble out of these threads from people who should know better.
    And thanks to friend slub who once again steps up to the plate. A living breathing, blustering example of everything that's wrong with this industry. He is confused. His role models are all wrong. And this is the sort of thing Google has taken a stand against. No one with any measure of self respect can possibly use MFA and quality in the same sentence. This is why I believe Aviva and all their drones are history and why our priority is to ensure that this sort of thing does not creep insidiously into the cooperative we are setting up. Something's are just more important than others.

workshop, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  11. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    first of all i dont like it when people like conshop misspell my username which is actually smub.

You don't even know what my role models are so by making an assumption like that you make an a** out of yourself. I didn't say MFA is quality but hypothetically speaking:

General = anything

if your web directory is general than you should all sites on net and have appropriate category.

Therefore why not a category for MFA site for people who have less self-respect?

smub, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    We are building a quality resource and if you, like Aviva and all the other hangers on have no problem listing anyone who has the cash to pay for it, who am I to say boo. But please dont try to pass yourself off as something you are not. And please dont start pointing fingers at those of us who are trying to do it right. :mad:

workshop, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  13. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Workshop, i am an old timer who seen heard , been played, conned hoodwinked and every other combination known, generally i laugh it of but there is a line in the sand.

You write that you are sick of seeing the same garbage over and over, but you yourself are the main contibutor of this garbage.

You write if you want to make a point you need to bludgeon people.

That is a very insulting statement to make to me ( and 99% of forum users ) those methods are used in training and or getting message across to people who are low on the intake or retention of information.

For you to suggest we all fall into that catagory shows how you view the intelligence of this forum and disregard of this fact by submitting us to the same crap within every second post.

I for one can compute data in one post over and above having it rammed down my throat as if i am stupid as i am sure others feel the same way.

You state that you are glad to see i am getting the message, but you fail to ingnore the gentle message coming your way, so i will spell it out in black and white.

I do not want your message, nor do i want your message rammed down my throat with every post you make, and as suggested if this waste of your time stops you from sleeping at night, please take the issue up with the people concerned, at best anyone can do on this forum is speculate and bash around hopless thoughts, we simply do not have the answers, the people involved do.

You then finish by once again laying blame at other with claims or pointing fingers like a little school kid of how other behave, but again act in a way that defies all logic by saying they should know better, perhaps you are GODdoogle himself reborn.

What i do know is some of your posts are presenting nothing more than a wet fart that casts a uncomfortable smell across the forum.

Lastly in the vain of your words in regards personal attacks please do not see my post as that but rather asking if it is that you can bring some positive input to these forums over and above treating this is your place to regurgitate your agendas and or treat forum users as idiots by ramming you rubbish down our throat.

DownUnder, Oct 5, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  14. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Can you show some examples of these other sites?

The Pheonix, Oct 5, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want me to dry up and blow away all you have to do is muzzle slub and anyone else who believes that MFA is AOK. Whilst you are at it you can also make sure that no one forgets that selling PR is anti-social and that claiming Authority Status is dishonest.
    I asked a perfectly valid question which you have every right to ignore. You however chose to lecture me instead. Make your mind up. I am quite capable of participating in a rational debate just as I am more than capable of looking after myself in a gutter brawl.

Google penalised a number of directories. There is enough evidence to support the argument that it was a hand job and the question is whether the directories concerned are looking for a solution or a way out. Do you believe that a directory that accepts paid submissions from MFA sites has the right to claim to be a quality site and to take a leadership role in this industry?

workshop, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  16. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    workshop, you have now mentioned this question several times and I suspect the reason no one has answered it is because they/we/I don't understand what is is you are asking...

"If every penalised site is not the victim of a proxy attack, could this not be an attempt at damage control and could it not be self inflicted?"

Damage control by who, Google? Directory Owner?

Self inflicted, as in purchasing links and or breaking search engine TOS?

On a couple of seperate issues.... repeatedly posting that your directories are not penalised (especially whilst including a link and offering your services in this forum) will make you a target, a word to the wise, be more careful.

Now my favourite part, the MFA issue and the editorial integrity....

The first site that you posted dentalmedical.us, this is just another blog thrown together with a load of duplicate content and serves no real purpose and therefore it would be rejected.

-- END FIRST SITE --

-- START SECOND SITE --

You have stated that your directories serve as a tool to Google, in fact I think your exact words were "we work for Google".... yet your editorial integrity is seriously lacking in the department of what Google wants. It is a well known fact that Google wants unique content.

The second site acne-control.org.uk, is not MFA. Yes, I said it, it is not MFA.

An MFA web site also known as a scraper site is a site that produces little to no value to the end user, the sole purpose is to route traffic through the site directly through to the advertisers. MFA sites also use scraped content, taken from the web with little to no effort by the webmaster. The vast majority of these sites also throw the ads right in your face, in large blocks prior to any content.

It's amazing how people see a couple of AdSense blocks and jump to the conclusion it's MFA before actually looking at it.

So back to the site and using your "editorial integrity" I can assume that you read the content. Did you find something wrong with the content? Was it jargon? Did it make sense? Was it not copywritten by a doctor, who when Googled clearly had links in the Nottingham area. Oh no wait, you must have read it before therefore it was just another duplicate site, right?

Well not according to Copyscape, where you obviously visited and found that most of the pages were unique according to the tool and those that were not, had been copied by others.

And then I am guessing you probably checked out the site on the Way Back Machine, just to see how long it has existed, because most MFA sites don't last more than 6 months when the owners realise they don't know how to get traffic to them and can't force people to click the ads. Well not this site, it's existed since February 2006 and seems to have pretty regular archives to boot.

Maybe you checked out the 'whois' record, seeing as most MFA site owners don't want to show themselves... oh no, not this one, name is right there for everyone to see. Oh and look, another link to Nottingham UK.

So here you are preaching about editorial integrity and then you clearly label a web site just because it covers a known MFA target subject and because it has a couple of ad blocks.

This is not an attack on you personally, but rather a criticism of your editorial integrity.

SilkySmooth, Oct 5, 2007 IP
    smub and jhnrang like this.
  17. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What is the purpose of that site? The information cannot be verified. How reliable is it? Its being used to sell Google adverts rather than offering a bona fide service. What's your take on sites set up to sell affiliate services?
    Don't understand the point you are making on this one. You agree its link spam and that you would not expect to find it in a quality directory?
    By a directory owner or a number of directory owners who are looking for sympathy and understanding. Personally I believe that the proxy sites are being picked up because there are an awful lot of sleazy directory owners using proxy servers to check out the status of the latest fatality in the series of high speed pile ups we have just witnessed. I know its unlikely but it kind of tickles my sense of the ridiculous.
    This is also deliberate and yes I am waving red rag at the bull. I want to see if Google agrees with you. I have no doubt that my sites have been pimped to you now who by you know who, if not once then maybe on a dozen different occasions. I watch with interest. Aviva are not the only ones to believe that they are doing nothing wrong.

workshop, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very well written - I must admit.
    But you can have civilized arguments with people who reasons. To argue with workshop-you must follow my path- an eye for an eye:p

He talks rubbish --he gets rubbish answers, he talks sense- he gets sensible answers.:cool:

jhnrang, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  19. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What are your grounds for labelling it as MFA? Do you understand the term MFA? Do you know what a scraper is or does?

Two can play that game :rolleyes:

PS: I edited my original post to seperate the two sites, for your clarification.

SilkySmooth, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Made For Adsense? It wouldn't happen to be one of yours would it?

workshop, Oct 5, 2007 IP