1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does anyone actually make money from high PR Directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by christian231, Oct 2, 2007.

With thousands of high PR directories out there, do any of these things actually make money charging for the text links they offer? I know they all show that they have millions of registered links, but tThe market seems so diluted with "directories" that you never really know if having your site listed on so & so's pr5 directory is even worth the $40 a year. Any thoughts on this?

(no offense intended to you directory owners out there...i'm just trying to figure the whole thing out)

christian231, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well it will take some figuring out that is for sure, but rest assured there are Directories that offer great value, but it best to evaluate the directories before you make any submissions, based on many factors

But yes there is a quality out there but there is a lot of inferior low quality sites too

Be selective that is the key :)

britishguy, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    pipes and mikey1090 like this.
  3. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directories that don't care about PR can make money as well.
    For example, your Golf directory in your sig does not need PR at all and can make good money if you are passionate about it and work hard for it.

acuman, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    100% correct acuman a Directory has no requirement for PR to be successfull you can become a serious player in a vertical market but working the subject content and material

Just like you used Golf as an example :)

britishguy, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  5. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, as a directory owner and a webmaster, i can guarantee you that directories are an essential component of online marketing. I have started several new websites and based on a marketing strategy of directory submissions and text/banner advertising, I've achieved good results on SERPs and traffic. Thus, though it may sound biased, I know that directories are worth the investment if you choose the right ones correctly.

As a directory owner, I can also tell you that it is sustainable and I could survive on the profits from my directories alone. So yes, they are profitable if you take the time & effort to build a quality resource for webmasters and visitors. You gotta be in for the long run and evolve your directories to keep up with the times.

jl255, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  6. speedster

speedster Peon

Best Answers:
    That's great to hear jl255, how long did it take to develop your pr6 directories?

speedster, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  7. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    The answer to your question is a big YES.

So far I only know of one general directory because it made the information public, but there are other means to see who is having fun with all the money.

Are you implying that there are "too many directories", this very subjective opinion. I think directories are not even close to make good representation if we were to count all the websites that exist at this moment.

We are on a gold mine so start "niching for treasures" (I just like this term so much that I even register it already) as much as you can!!!

My advice: Start niching were pr, search engine, or any obstacle have no power in stopping you from reaching your goal.

mywebsearches, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Visible PR is being done away with, so it will force a submitter to do further research because the green bar wont tell them any longer, its not a bad thing and will save many submitters from making mistakes.

Ask me how i know ;)

pipes, Oct 3, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  9. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    There's money in the directory business as long as listing links in them provide value to search engine relevance.

The whole thing with Google taking out a few high profile directories recently shows 2 things.

1) The directories are VERY relevant
    2) PR matters to Google and all of those whom say otherwise are either 'full of it' or not paying attention as Matt Cutts ( Google ) says flat out that they don't want people selling PR.

And yeah the visible PR might be going away. Seems after removing visible supplementals, Google is playing its cards closer to its chest.

donttrustthisposter, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  10. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    We will all need more accurate means of assessing directories,

The OP has a valid question

intruiging thought, no TBPR

centime, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  11. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If i can add to your good post and throw another angle / view on quality that may help the OP.

Being from outside of this industry and falling over this forum i have now taken the oportunity to study 100's of directories.

From my findings i see these things but are only my view.

Quality can be defined in many ways and without debating that issue to me quality would consist of prentation and care in the directory layout / upkeep

A site does not need to be dressed in a 2k suit to be effective so long as it is neat and tidy.

In regards to free / through to fully paid submission sites, there are good and bad examples of both, but price alone does not indicate good value for your money, but will in most cases show a higher quality site, some but few free sites also offer a high quality and are / would be worthwhile listing in.

When i open a directory ( and coming from outside of the industry ) i look beneath the first layer of the directory and look for and see the person not the directory.

The reasoning behind this is simple, a directory by itself is inert and will not self build without the owner having some input ( unless these times have changed )

So in looking deeper to a directory you can see the person, i then look for as above, have they kept it neat and tidy, are the correct links working, is the layout just slapped in or did the owner take some time to give the directory something special. Are they providing extra information or servies ? This is just a snapshot at what i look at but you have the idea.

With that information then based with some old school business that i use when building sales gives me a very clear picture as to that directorys worth to me in my decission making to be involved with that directory by perhaps sending in a submission

For many years when building sales teams ( lets say 100 staff / and this case directories ) i used to look at my team and find these patterns

10% were very good 40% were getting there and 50% were lagging behind. I used to think ok to increase sales the top stuff is ok they wont need my attention, what i could do is work these other areas of my business down the bottom and bring the team up / sales.

How very wrong that approach is and although often done like that there is a better way and relates exactly to how a person should choose the right directory ( these directories are your 100 staff working to promote your sales )

Quite simply to improve sales / promote your business you need to play hard ball, so to increase my sales i adopted this approach

the bottom 50% i sacked on the spot, tell your story walking i simply do not care ( people will do what they want and no proding will make them change, they either are achievers or wasting my time ). The next 40% you have 2 choices step up or move down your call, but i am not holding your hand but will be here to help if asked. The top 10% is where i needed the focus.

So for me i will look below the surface glitter n shine, see the owner and if they achieve, then i am more than likley i will put my $ into that business / Directory the guy behind it deserves the $ for their service and the reult will be a better outcome for all.

DownUnder, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For anyone who feels that PR is not terribly important within your directory, how long have you felt that way about it?

Were you thinking that way all along or is it a more recent decision for you?

pipes, Oct 3, 2007 IP