1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From all this drama...take a look at the big picture.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Ernster, Oct 1, 2007.

With "a lot" of people here going crazy over the latest directory penalisations...isnt it telling you something?

Do NOT focus on web directories as your MAIN income source

If Google someday really does ban all directories, you're pretty much stuffed.

Also

With the amount of time it takes to get a web directory running and profitable, you could instead be using that time to make a different business model thats way more profitable and "secure".

Just because everyone here makes web directories...it doesn't mean it's the best option.

Ernster, Oct 1, 2007 IP
    centime, jg123 and pipes like this.
  2. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's more a case of, do not focus on popular search engines as your main traffic source.

Obelia, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  3. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So what is the BIG picture according to you Or your advice to all the directory owners !

Red_Virus, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  4. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

DownUnder, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  5. Ernster

Ernster Peon

Best Answers:
    1) There are many ways to make money online...directories would be one of the last ways I would use. I had to learn the hard way..I'm just trying to help you guys...no need to get mad:)

As for what to do...I'm not going to tell you because I dont know you well enough. But basically you could sell a product or service (think digital) related to something you know you're good at or have lots of knowledge on. You dont need much traffic either. Forget adsense where you need thousands and thousands and hits to make a good income. You need a few hundred targeted visits a day and you're laughing. AND build a mailing list!..thats the key right there. It doesn't matter what niche your are involved in...build a list!

2) No matter what you say...directories rely on SE's. "most" people pay for a submission for the SEO benefits...dont even try to say otherwise. Directories dont provide much if any traffic, so SEO is the main benefit and if Google say bye bye..then why pay for a directory submission?

Ernster, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    workshop likes this.
  6. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

1) We are not all in it just for the money, some of us actually enjoy our work.

2) Search ENGINES, not Search ENGINE. Google is not the only fish in the sea. Plus some directories do deliver traffic, my aim for my directory is and always has been to try and deliver traffic to those that list with me as a priority over any search engine benefits I can offer them.

SilkySmooth, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Is just pity that not everyone sees it the same way. But what I dont understand is why you never challenged any of the urban legends that built up around directories on this very forum. What do you believe we should be doing to move forward?

workshop, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  8. nicheestates

nicheestates Peon

Best Answers:
    The key to remember here is that you should never have all of your eggs in 1 basket. Multiple streams (no matter how small) of income is the way to go.

Think of it like the stock market. If you talked to a broker they would tell you to diversify your portfolio so that you could absorb any major impact. This way you could easily be covered if something fails to earn its keep. Now you know and you step on to the next project.

Remember, Things will continue to change. Just think about how much everything has changed within the last 10 years. You wouldn't think of doing the same things as 10 years ago.

So Diversify. Onwards! :)

nicheestates, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Following the herd will only get you so far, especially if you don't intend to do any better than what is being offered already.

I think a lot of folks have jumped on this bandwagon and it is so heavy it ain't gonna be moving. I would say of the 600 directoreis started in the past 3 months only 5-10 will even make a profit and around the same number will be around 2 years from now.

I also think the OP is fairly accurate in his statements. His way of posting is a good example of being critical but honest, fair and non-agressive. The haters should learn from this guy.

I also don't really believe the 'I don't do it for the money' bit, really if you were going to do a web-project for fun and interest you would probably just start a blog because it would give you a way to express yourself.

jg123, Oct 2, 2007 IP