1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resigned -

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha! I don't think I have enought posts to get in - and besides... nobody would "believe me" anyways. ;)

Spendlessly, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  2. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    What does that prove? I know of at least one discussion here at DP about an eBay auction for DMOZ services that was never concluded to be legit.

torunforever, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude, while I sympathise with your DMOZ situation - your NOT providing any proof of DMOZ corruption. Your looking silly now. You make crazy (though believable) accusations but the proof you provide is a bunch of speculation about things you don't even know are real.

Dude, just post some actual proof of corruption or let it go. We all know the DMOZ isn't always fair - but your making a joke out this thread instead of making a point. We believe your a disgruntled editor, but show us something real or stfu.

mdvaldosta, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are missing the point. DMOZ editors said that he is not an editor, so he provided screen captures from DMOZ. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  5. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Mike..I never implied anyone was a moron, nor have I laid any defence out. and I don't see any trolling, all I said was...wheres the corruption, ya know like wheres the beef, were now on page 4 (make that page 5) and the only thing thats been discussed is whether awaiting sites are in a queue or not.
    On the corruption issue, there's corruption in most every organization one way or another..thats a human issue, I've seen a lot of it at dmoz and it was dealt with accordingly, I haven't seen any ramped corruption that continues at odp that has been put out in the open in either dmoz's forum or elsewhere.
    "now your thinking...I've seen it in a number of forums"
    And I'm almost sure dmoz has too, I'll also say that some of these cases were probably examined and also dealt with. But dmoz doesn't post it's findings or decisions about corruption in public forums or even it's own forum, so you'll never know how these cases are dealt with, unless your one of the involved parties.

Test-ok, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  6. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    We've already gotten past that, he's trying to show proof of editor corruption. That ebay auction isn't proof, for all we know it was a hoax.

mdvaldosta, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  7. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=queue

Sounds like a queue to me.

aeiouy, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  8. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically it may be a queue, but using the word queue to most people implies they will be served in order. If you go the the bank, and stand in the queue at the teller, you will very upset when the teller decides to serve people out of order.

Since there is never any intention of processing sites in order, using the word queue in connection with ODP leads to false expectations, and an incorrect understanding of how it works. An editor who works in a single category and does not have a full understanding of ODP, and little experience, will probably choose to process the unreviewed in the default order, which in fact is the order of submission. Once an editor gets experienced, and can edit multiple categories, they will abandon that procedure and process sites in a way that is most efficient and productive, which will depend on the editor's style, the type of sites and the type of categories.

Many of us choose to use other words when in public forums, such as the words pile or heap to avoid this confusion.

macdesign, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just because it is not based on time of submission, it doesn't mean that there is no order. :rolleyes:

Queue order in DMOZ:

1- Editors own sites
    2- Family, friends and others beneficial to editor
    3- sites with a least amount of competition to editors site.
    anyone else. ;)

gworld, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  10. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Call it whatever you want - I know how it works - other editors know how it works - it doesn't work like any of the above. I've tried to explain it, obviously not well enough.

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  11. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    why is it- whenever I read ODP threads the editors are always arguing about symatics instead of what is really being discussed. are we going to see the arguement on how to say the word "queue" or how we should just spell it "que" for short or maybe just "Q"!??!?!?

I will have to say that I never had an issue with ODP, but if people look like they are hiding something, they probably are.

So, please act like men and talk about the subject instead of finding something to beat around the bush with!

debunked, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    compostannie and gworld like this.
  12. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Kind of hard for me to do that - it's in direct conflict with my being a grandmother :p

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is very good!!! I am glad you know who you are (rare thing now days)

debunked, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  14. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    hell...and all this time I thought it cue. ;)
    aha...common you can still be a grandma and act like a man. :eek:

Test-ok, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    More proof of corruption: Where I live we call it a "line" ...as in we wait in line or your order is next in line. :rolleyes:

compostannie, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  16. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Back to the queue at the bank.

The teller listens to the people in the queue and the ones that are not speaking English she pulls out of line and makes them wait in another queue for another teller that speaks French.

The teller looks at the people in line and chooses the ones that look like they just don't belong in the queue. She talks to them first and if they really should be waiting in the customer service queue she sends them over there. The ones that should in fact be waiting in line, she sends them back to the queue in front of her. However, for a couple of them, she sees that it will very easy to process their request and does so, and they leave the bank.

She then looks again at those in the queue and pick the ones that look interesting, or that seem to have their paperwork organized and processes them ahead of the rest. But some of them seem to be totally disorganzied, so she sends them back to wait in the queue.

She then decides she is tired of dealing with customers puts a closed sign up and goes shopping.

She comes back and calls the first person in line, but he's asleep so she puts a big sticker on him to process him next month, she then closes her eyes, swings around in a circle and picks out of line whoever she ends up pointing to and proccesses his transaction no matter how complicated.

The next person in line is at the wrong bank, so she sends him away.

Someone in line pulls out a gun and threatens to shoot her if she doesn't process his withdrawal, so she calls the police, gets him removed from the building, and closes his account.

She processes the next few poeple in queue #1

Someone calls her on the phone and offers her $50 if she will process him ahead of the others in the queue so she makes a note on his account, and hangs up.

The next two people in line, are in the wrong line so she moves them to queue #2.

She gets tired of queue #1, so she close shop and goes to queue#3 and starts dealing with them.

The first person wants to make a deposti, but his money is counterfeit, she takes his photgraph in case he tries to come back in again, and kicks him out of the bank.

Someone who got moved to queue #2 and is still waiting calls the newspaper and says his business will go bankrupt since he can't get the money for the payroll, and the teller's husband is a competitor.

A minute later she decides to process the people in queue#2, and the person that complained can't get any money out since his partner already took the money for payroll out the day before.

Her son calls and she has to leave the bank, no other tellers are available, so everyone in queue #1 and #2 are still waiting. However a manager drops in and thinks the people in queue#3 look interesting so he goes and serves them, it was so interesting dealing with them he stays overtime until no-one else is left in line.

The teller decides to take a vacation and everyone in queue#1 and 2 are still waiting to be served. Two days before her vacation is over, the bank hires a new teller who works through the people in queue #2 and manages to get the queue cut in half.

The teller works through the rest of queue#2 but decide the people in queue#1 are giving her too much trouble and tells the manage she won't work on that queue any more - no one else is interested either so they all die waiting in line.

17. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a good one mac. You have too much time on your hands. ;)

the moral of the story is: If your a bank teller you could also be considered an editor at dmoz. ;)

Test-ok, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  18. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm taking time out. :D

I was up till three last night working on an index for a book that goes to printing tomorrow. Just finished it, so it's party time till tonight. Then I have to write a computer program that automates the translation of a government form from English to French. If I translate it manually it will take two weeks and it's supposed to be finished by tomorrow.

19. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is. The "corrupt" seem to have multiple accounts. They can then add sites of their own/friends without having to worry so much about being caught. Here is a thread that highlights just that.

Here's a thread where several members admit that corruption internally can and will exist.

http://img189.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corruption5ae.jpg
    http://img439.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corruption28xm.jpg
    http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corruption30fk.jpg

Here's the start of another thread where an editor is debating on reporting the abuse he is seeing... and other editors confirm that they also have seen this same type of abuse.

http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corr8bh.jpg
    http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corr29ww.jpg
    http://img474.imageshack.us/my.php?image=corr36np.jpg

It exists - I'm out until I get off of work. (Tech bench... system is down and having to take paper tickets :mad: )

Spendlessly, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    frankm likes this.
  20. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting those, it shows that indeed editors, when they see signs of corruption discuss it internally, and try to terminate the offender.

No-one has ever claimed that corrupt editors do not exist. We love to have evidence to nail them.