1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resigned -

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Spendlessly, Nov 29, 2005.

1. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I see minstrel - my calling spendlessly an idiot was ok but my personal interpretation of the post was a "personal attack and obfuscation." :D

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  2. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Spendlessly, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    aeiouy and minstrel like this.
  3. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you be so kind as to point out those threads? I don't remember reading anything that contradicted what was said.

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this is interesting, like a soap opera. GG folks, these are the days of our lives...

mdvaldosta, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Do I really need to answer that? :rolleyes:

Look through the DMOZ threads here at DP. Then try numerous threads at WebProWorld. Then try... oh... pick a number: cre8asite, WMW, whatever you like, even RZ. There are repeated posts all over the place from DMOZ editors about resubmissions "overwriting" previous submissions "in the queue" - yes, I do know that some other editors have contradicted that but for macdesign to imply that any real editor whould know there is no queue is pure garbage.

minstrel, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  6. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    go for it, by all means! just please don't make it easier for spammers to make it harder for me to accept the good authoritative sites you speak of! please bear that in mind when deciding what to show. thanks in advance, phil.

in all honesty, there is no 'queue' like you think exists. Sites are reviewed in the order you want, and the list of submissions can be sorted according to the editor's preference - alphabetically, by date, whatnot. I can only speak for myself, but my editing routine means that the order they're in has very little effect on which sites I review first - e.g. I might do a cursory scan first looking for sites which appear to have paid attention to the guidelines (perhaps this is laziness on my part, since it means I will probably have less work reviewing these sites, or perhaps it's a desire to 'reward' the people who have taken the time to help me help them - you're the shrink, you tell me!). So anyone calling it a queue is just taking a bit of a vocabulary shortcut (in my opinion), and this leads to misunderstandings, like you have just shown.

It would be best not to resubmit if your previous application was turned down and your site still doesn't make the grade - it makes you look like a Class A spammer! But I personally think the 'bumped down in the queue' effect is more myth than reality. Sorry for the aside. Spendlessly, I look forward to your efforts to improve things (as long as you are actually acting as a force for good - carefully study what you're showing and what the impact, both good an bad, will be)

bradley, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    ..and suddenly the Resourceless Zone editors fall silent :rolleyes:

So is he a "fake editor"?

8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    A queue is a queue is a queue. Call it a "backlog" if you prefer. Call it an "unordered list" if you prefer. It is all the sites waiting for review. And since many editors have called it a queue, macdesign's comment that anyone who would do so is obviously not a real editor is patently stupid.

9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are no resourceless zone or DMOZ editors, they are just interested individuals that visit digital point, dnforum, site point, webproworld,cre8asite, WMW,..... to discuss and defend DMOZ with anyone who disagrees with DMOZ corruption. ;) :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  10. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on what you call a "fake" lol - no the second post by Spendlessly convinced me that there was some small amount of internal knowledge there - brand new editor? within the last month or so? soon to be brand new ex-editor?

The overwriting previous submissions - that happens if you suggest the same URL to the same category. There are a couple of options available to review sites and one of them is by date. The thing is, you can never tell how the editor who reviews the category that one site was suggested to (what ever the site may be - here we're talking in generalities) is going to look at the suggestions. So don't you think it would be best to avoid doing anything that might possibly delay review any further? Ok - what if the person who suggested the site forgot what category they chose? And resuggested it to a different category and a different category and a different category - at some point someone is going to go through and delete duplicates - because it's a human doing the deleting a mistake might be made and all the suggestions were tagged as duplicates (even though they thought one wasn't). Those are two of the reasons not to resuggest.

There are piles of suggestions in most categories - those can be reviewed (or not) in whatever order the editor wants to look at them. But just because other piles are sitting longer in one category than another doesn't affect what that editor is going to do in the one category they're looking at. That's why there is no queue.

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    So you were aware when you made your previous gratuitous request for information that editors, apparently including you, DO make this claim... the same claim that macdesign just contradicted. And that bradley just explained is not really true.

12. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    I call it a queue - because that's how I treated mine - like a queue.

I did work them in the order received, so for me - it was a queue.

Could I have added them in a different order - sure, but why would I do that?

- But back to the real meat of the discussion if you will... trying to catch me up on insignificant verbiage differences, based on YOUR preference of wording.

Here is a brief thread on page one that may be of interest to a few of you:

Part 1

Part 2

Please - PLEASE continue to deny the internal corruption at DMOZ... fuel my fire. I can print screens all day long.

13. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Boy this is going to sound stupid - you said that he said that someone else said that there was a queue. :D Then you explained so that my poor brain could understand what you were saying. All the sites are not waiting in line, unless someone puts some of them in a line. It's hard to understand the concept - which is why people who can't see it and people who are new to it don't understand it. And it's practically impossible to explain (obviously). It's not like going to the commissary where everyone gets in one big line and then at the end of that line they go to smaller lines at the checkstands.

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  14. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Care to explain how in the hell there is any corruption in editors talking about finding something on a site and asking about it - and then discussing bills they had received from companies they never did business with?

lmocr, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  15. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still waiting for the corruption to pop it's ugly head. The screen shots haven't shown anything concrete yet. The queue thing is the same as toe-mate-toe or tom-ate-to. It's not worth the discussion...;)

Test-ok, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Tell that to your fellow editors.

17. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Well, testok, be careful who you defend. And don't treat DP members like they are stupid either. Not making a comparison, but just an extreme example:
    No one knew in nazi germany what was being done to the jews, right?
    Well, sometimes you just have to put 2 and 2 together, use your mind, and take some circumstantial evidence into consideration. Please don't come in here assuming we are morons. If you want to make a case for DMOZ, please do so by stating some of the positives and give us hope that changes are possible. Otherwise your posts and nothing more than trolling.

Blogmaster, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  18. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread has been Godwin'd!

torunforever, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  19. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's another small tid bit... I'm putting together something more interesting - but this will have to hold folks over for the next couple hours (until I go home from work)

DMOZ Editor Selling his "services"

20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are interested on selling your editor password, the highest bid on alucard thread I think was $700. ;)

May be we should have an auction for it, do you know that digital point has buy & sell section? :D

gworld, Nov 30, 2005 IP