1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I Need Help! What To Do?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Vesica, Sep 29, 2007.

About 2 months ago (4th of August to be exact) I sent $150 over to my coder through PayPal (he is also my host). I sent him the money because he would code my anime site. He would add the script to the template and make it all work on all the pages.

I have been waiting 2 months for him to install it on my site. The beginning of September was the last time I talked to him through Skype and we both agreed that the script should be installed at the 26th of September. In this conversation he said his computer crashed, but he would be able to get a new computer in a few days. Last week I have been calling the number but I only got his voicemail saying that it's the "Williams" residence (which is his surname). I started to get really worried because $150 is a fair amount of money for me and my anime project got delayed more and more.

I sent him an email yesterday and I called his house number and left a message that he had to contact me as soon as possible.
    This is what I sent him in the email:

He replied:

I replied:

Today he replied with:

So basically what he did was just use my money for something we both didn't agree on and let me wait 2 months and tell me I won't get my $150 back, but I will get 20 months of free hosting for it instead (which I totally don't want). You can question yourself how he's gonna pay for his server then.
    He lives in Canada and he's 30 years old, I have his full address. I live in the Netherlands.

What can I do? Can someone please help me, I'm literally stunned.

Vesica, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    dotcomguy likes this.
  2. PCclickTech

PCclickTech Peon

Best Answers:
    That totally stinks. I wish all people lived by the golden rule. This crap would not be happening then. You need someone in Canada to pay this dude a visit!

PCclickTech, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  3. jkrish41

jkrish41 Banned

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately since it is only $150 dollars, it is not worth it to take to court or high a lawyer or anything.

Try to work out something for a while, in nice manner, maybe about a month later he will complete the deal(although I doubt it because those are the same excuses scammers use all the time)

Sorry, but I think you *lost your money on this one.

jkrish41, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  4. Vesica

Vesica Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks jkrish41 and PCclickTech. I wished people were fair too. Can't I report anything to PayPal?

I replied this to his last email:

Vesica, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  5. vidbidness

vidbidness Peon

Best Answers:
    You can attempt to contest the charges through paypal by opening a dispute with them. Otherwise, you may well be out the money. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it happens. You may be able to send him a stern letter, but things are complicated because you are in two separate countries.

vidbidness, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  6. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    hey ethienne,

i hope you sort it out soon man.

as a last resort you need to make as many people aware about this scammer. so others aren't robbed by him.

dotcomguy, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  7. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hope you can sort it out mate, this sort of stuff is wrong :( if you need any hosting i have a 400GB dedicated server which is only used for around 300 of my sites so i have well over 380GB space left and tonnes of BW, if you ever need any space give me a pm

Jasonb, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  8. Celtik

Celtik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could get the 20 months of hosting, and attempt to resell it. You just need to make sure he is not lying about that as well.

Celtik, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  9. Vesica

Vesica Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks all for your compassion. I will try to contest PayPal, but for now I'm waiting for his reply. Jasonb, thank you for the offer, I will think about it!

Vesica, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  10. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You really can't do anything and its unfortunate. Maybe a paypal dispute, that might do something.

Remember, get EVERYTHING in writing.

-C

Woodcs82, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  11. TeKn1qu3z

TeKn1qu3z Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's a lesson to be learned here.

TeKn1qu3z, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  12. stinker

stinker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Greetings Vesica!

That idea came to my mind too. Worth of thinking about (thats the last chance to recover some looses)

And as a Dotcomguy said, make him famous as a scammer.
    But first of all, let him know that you're going to spread around the word 'scam' about his service.
    Maybe then he start to listen to you.

Wish you good luck!

stinker, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  13. ZeroSen

ZeroSen Peon

Best Answers:
    Your first mistake was paying the guy up front. He now has no incentive to do any work on your site. Do you blame him? You sent him a free $150.

ZeroSen, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  14. paperboy

paperboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't beleive him about the whole "death in the family" It is a very old scammer line, just open a dispute with paypal and his account will be frozen until it is settled.

paperboy, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.
  15. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Logically, a dispute through Paypal may be helpful, however in reality, it may yield you nothing if he has already withdrawn the money. Like what most people suggest here when there is a dispute in their account is to ignore the situation and open another paypal account. If he does the same, you may win the dispute but you get nothing back.

If however, you get the 20 months of hosting, you would at least get something back.

If you do try to use the Paypal dispute approach, please do not mention that you are 17 years old because you would already be in breach of Paypal's terms which you agreed on which states that you are above the age of 18. If you mention your age, you might lose more than what you bargain with.

eddy2099, Sep 30, 2007 IP
    Vesica likes this.