1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Get PR via API?

Discussion in 'Google API' started by Phil Tanny, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Cheater

Cheater Peon

Best Answers:
    I run prgoogle.org (Another PR search site)

Anyone want me to write a API with PR and unlimited queries? ;)

Cheater, May 30, 2005 IP
  2. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    yes -please do. :D

gford, May 31, 2005 IP
  3. sponk

sponk Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I have to disagree.
    You can just fake headers (i.e. fake the user agent by using that of the Google Toolbar) and Google Servers would not be able to tell the difference whether it is a server- or client based query.
    In addition, server-side queries are much more efficient speedwise than client-side queries.

As for retrieving the PR, you can use the source at http://www.googlemania.com/foros/tema186.html#691
    It basically calculates the unique checksum for a domain, generates a URL accordingly and then just retrieves the data using the php function file(). You do not really need to fear getting banned from google as anybody can access that generated URL, unless of course if you check the pagerank more than 10 times in 10 seconds (don't quote me on this ;) ).

sponk, May 31, 2005 IP
  4. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Was there ever any progress on this? There seem to be any number of web-based tools which will happily tell you the toolbar-PR of a page you enter.

The previously posted website does indeed link to PHP code, however it's commented in what looks like Spanish!

I'm planning on writing a PR utility in C#, and will gladly share with the forum - however i've just spent 2 fruitless hours searching for any conclusive information on the checksum and other information - anyone have any info that might help?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

JamieC, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  5. picobello

picobello Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great link.

picobello, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  6. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Jamie, check out this command-line PR checker written by Shoemoney:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=24815

It includes the checksumming code, though not any information on why it works as it works. Should be straightforward to translate from Perl into another language, though, if necessary.

Willy, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  7. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Appreciated, I didn't spot that. My Perl is terrible so I'm going to have to dig out my uni notes to understand the bitshifting going on there :D

JamieC, Aug 31, 2005 IP
  8. anjanesh

anjanesh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Insert <pre> in the beginning - just before <?
    2. Change eval to echo htmlentities

You got a readable source code.

anjanesh, Sep 1, 2005 IP
    Nokia999 likes this.
  9. Ming Han

Ming Han Peon

Best Answers:
    So what happened to prgoogle.org?
    I can't seem to access it.

Ming Han, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  10. Tonystreet

Tonystreet Peon

Best Answers:
    i just use pagerank.net

Tonystreet, Nov 6, 2005 IP
  11. Xmember

Xmember Peon

Best Answers:
    I used the PHP script from the google community where the checksum was first spotted and then used it to check the pagerank of 1000's of pages from my desktop...

The way i did is use the phptriad from sourceforge which provides a fully configured apache php and mysql... just put the php script and voila you get a client side with no restrictions... no servers to hit back.... but sometimes i see a blackout when i hit google often so i do a sleep in random ...

good luck with the project...

Xmember, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  12. thinkblogger

thinkblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    I have always had the belief that public data is public and as long as it is not SOLD can be used in the manner the public sees fit... I think a script for extracting PR data would be a valuable tool for research purposes...

SEOchat.com seemed to have a great tool... http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/pagerank-search/

thinkblogger, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  13. BrianR2

BrianR2 Guest

Best Answers:
    I got the PR script from the google community as well. This is the url where you can get the script:
    http://www.googlecommunity.com/scripts/pagerank-source.phps

I'm noticing a discrepancy between the results from this script and other sources on the web and the pagerank returned by the toolbar. For instance, check this site: http://www.vxbox.com/Shopping_Online_Gifts.php?p=260
    The toolbars say it's PR 3 but the script and all the datacenters at http://www.linkadage.com/linkadage-info/metrics_checker.htm, say it's 0, including the toolbar result! :confused: So, why is the toolbar reporting 3 when it should be 0?

BrianR2, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  14. jpcesar

jpcesar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys

Does a webservice that simple return an integer telling the PR on a given url is a usefull thing your anyone here?

I made one for my own use, you can get the wsdl here:

http://81.84.242.249/prutil/getpr.asmx?wsdl

Input parameter: URL ( ex: cnn.com )
    Output parameter: PR ( integer ex: 9 )

Please give feedback.

jpcesar, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    Tuning likes this.
  15. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome idea, but you're gonna get hammered and Google will probably start sending nasty emails :)

JamieC, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  16. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! jpcesar,

Thanks for sharing, it is the exact thing I was looking for!

Thanks a million!

Regards,
    Tuning

Tuning, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  17. jpcesar

jpcesar Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome :) Thanks for the rep.

If you are looking for more .net webservices regarding google, I have made some more to retrieve the number of google backlinks for an URL and retrieve a keyword position for a given URL too.

These ones will require you to enter your google-api key just like the DP keyword position tracker :)

Cheers

jpcesar, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  18. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a PHP tool using it, and it also checks the RK of the server (Real PageRank), im wondering whether its gonna get caught etc tho, since it is against Google ToS so im not really releasing it on my website. Someone mentioned something about headers, but what sort of headers does the toolbar send? can u give an example?

Anyway, I am still attempting to figure out if there is a way to do it with the google API instead, and I feel that would help more. However, using SOAP and XML and PHP together is pretty hard, since i dont know how to Send an XML document to a server using POST. And don't know how to receive it. I know there is tools like PEAR::SOAP but i don't like packages, as i dont learn from them, and they are impossible to install on webservers with no access to php.ini.

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas or information about how to send and receive SOAP and the headers thing.

execute, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  19. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    nice job ;)

Shoemoney, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  20. execute

execute Peon

Best Answers:
    i give up... Its too complicated a process probably and i dont have the time to learn it, unless there is good direction/tutorial for it. If i find out tho, ill be sure to post tutorials about it.
    I still can't figure out how to transmit SOAP (with POST) and receive it. I'm guessing using headers... like header("POST: "); but i dont know the exact thing. I'll probably read the PEAR::SOAP PHP files and find exactly how they do it.

execute, Dec 2, 2005 IP