1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by elixir, Nov 30, 2005.

OK, lets see who shots me and who cheers!

CSS.... potentially offers an almost perfect soloution to design elements in Website design.... it offers practical, efficient and quick methods of altering the design, whilst also offering great diversity and flashy positioning and affects......

YET IT IS HARDLY SUPPORTED!

As yet, it appears that the Font/Text, Borders widths etc. are basically the only things are are almost 100% supported.

Things such as margins/padding, hidding/visible, positioning etc... are so "browser interpreted" that it's laughable!

So.... my conclussion, after reading through god knows how many SitePoint books on CSS (which I really don't recomend people payying for, you can find the same stuff online at any two sites for free!), and looking through over 14 sites with hints/tips, tutorials and examples,......

CSS isn't worth designing with!!!!!!!

Yes, use it for formating text, for general layout of paragraphs and basic body elements.... but for anything even slightly breaking away from the "I'm looking like a magazine" design/layout, then use tables or flash!

NOTE:- If you are wanting to Design a site that resembles a magazine etc., the CSS is fine, so long as you learn all the little bug fixes, passes, hacks and work arounds for the numerous browser srew ups!

where as, if you use tables, you tend to get what you layout!

So, who is for NO CSS, and who is for CSS ?
    Please give valid reasons as to why you answer, as well as presonal prefence!

elixir, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  2. rossriley

rossriley Guest

Best Answers:
    Best valid reasons?
    1. Easier for designers to maintain.
    2. Makes more money for clients as sites invariable rank better.
    3. CSS is best practice, equivalent of working to industry specifications.

An experienced CSS designer who is aware of all the browser inconsistencies will be able to build a site that looks good in most browsers with only a few minor adjustments. Many designers only get browser problems when they try to use CSS to layout table-esque sites.

Finally CSS is very well supported, the bugs as a percentage of the total spec are very minor.

rossriley, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    FeelLikeANut likes this.
  3. srijit

srijit Peon

Best Answers:
    CSS is better, but IE fucks it up. Things working perfectly in firefox and opera get fucked by IE. also i read somewhere that if you use tables, then the whole content has to be loaded, before it is displayed. using CSS also reduces the bandwidth usage.
    that being said, am just a CSS noob, so i use both CSS and tables :D

srijit, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  4. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    Elixir, I have been successful and creating any layout I desire on at least FF, IE6, and IE5.5. I have used margins and padding extensively and they seem to work fine in all three. Perhaps you can provide examples of where you are having trouble.

There is also an entire thread on this topic already, if you want to review it.
    CSS vs. Tables: What's the Benefit?

FeelLikeANut, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  5. Web1.in

Web1.in Peon

Best Answers:
    I have switched myself to CSS few months back and I must say thats the best and correct way to create the layouts...

If there is any need for the tables then ofcourse we should use tables but to generate layout there is no need for the table coz its not a tabular data....

The main reasons for using CSS are:

1. Clean code, very few lines compared to code with table
    2. Things can be controlled by CSS file
    3. Page loads fast and saves the bandwidth

So CSS is best for presentations and tables are best to represent tabular data..

Regards,
    Deep

Web1.in, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    FeelLikeANut likes this.
  6. the_pm

the_pm Peon

Best Answers:
    This topic is moot, because regardless of what designers prefer to use, CSS technology will continue to become increasingly more consistent over different browsers, friendlier to non-traditional browsing devices and more acceptable for people with special browsing needs. Every major (and minor) browser manufacturer has publicly committed to supporting the W3C specs for XHTML and CSS as their baseline development standard, and every browser comes closer to doing this consistently with every release, IE included.

People can justify using tables all they want if they're not comfortable using this century's development techniques. But that doesn't mean the technology and the public is going to continue to accommodate this poor practice down the road. So, debate it until you're blue in the face, but I hope everyone who's still using tables for layout purposes is prepared to switch to using the technology for its intended use when the demand arises, because it's already happening. A few years ago, this was a non-issue when it came to development for clients. Today, I'm seeing table-based developers shut out of bidding opportunities because they insist on using an old technology for its unintended purpose. I've never seen the opposite happen.

The benefits of doing it now have been discussed ad-nauseum on many forums. No need to rehash again :)

the_pm, Nov 30, 2005 IP
    FeelLikeANut likes this.
  7. Shodan5

Shodan5 Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah it's worth it, css makes life easy. tables should only be used for data!

Shodan5, Dec 5, 2005 IP