1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ever Afraid to Search Google?

Discussion in 'Google' started by dvduval, Nov 29, 2005.

First, let me preface by saying that any "seo" tactics I use are far from what many would call "black hat" but certainly I am a person that tries to stay current with strategies that work for people.

Do you ever wonder if Google might be running trustrank algorithms on you based on things like:
    1) Your ip address
    2) logins to google services
    3) sites you have visited using the google toolbar

What about the in the future? Could the data you are giving them now be used in the future to help them make decisions about you?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this concern, and I look forward to your replies.

dvduval, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  2. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I've thought about it before and then thought that life is too short to worry about things that are not under my control. I think by trust rating they are talking about web sites that are human reviewed that THEY (Google) trust when it comes to links. There may be more involved in that rating, but I don't know what it could be.

markhutch, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  3. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is one of the reasons I hate being logged into Google all of the time.

I know there are ways around it but I'm too lazy and not THAT concerned about it. But it's definitely something that is in the back of my mind while searching on Google and surfing the web.

Aside from SEO stuff, I'm also concerned about the huge amount of info Google is collecting from people. Their initial goal was to organize the world's information...and to tell you the truth, that scares me a little bit.

I'm looking at my Firefox tabs right now and I see, Gmail, Google Analytics, Adwords and some SERPS. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Crazy_Rob, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  4. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure Google logs my IP addresses, if only for my Adsense account.
    But I doubt they also log what I search for and where I spend most of my time surfing, (although I suspect they have certain sites that would get you reported if you visit them).

As for them knowing what Service I am using, I am also not sure how that would help them. I mean, if I use Google Sitemap for example, all they will know is what sites I have, but they would know that without too much problems.

But, all in all I am not too worried, mainly because I am not doing anything that might get me in trouble.

FFMG

FFMG, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've probably in some way built, edited or SEOed something like 500+ sites. I start to wonder if maybe google over time builds data about the relationships between sites. Here's a hypothetical example:

the login of googlesitemaps @ somesite.com tends to visit from 3 main ip addresses, and has the google toolbar installed. They visit about 100 websites, including evilblackhatseo.com and linksupermultiplier.com.

Surely, google could ascertain info like this.

dvduval, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that they could assertain relationships like that.
    But, so what. If you're so bothered by what G does or doesn't log then you'd do something about hiding your tracks. It ain't that hard to put enough layers between you and a potential logger that they would have to go out of their way to create a profile of what you do, where you visit and when.
    If someone's going to take that much of an interest in what you do, then you've probably got one or two serious problems coming your way :eek:

jlawrence, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  7. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought about this too.. soo..some sites, won't mention which exactly:D , I first open up msn, search msn for yahoo.com, and finally search for the site in yahoo:cool:

Googles76, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You guys worry WAYYYY too much. Do you really think Google cares that much about what sites any of us are vsiting?

Bill Gates, maybe...

minstrel, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  9. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    I was getting annoyed when for awhile with every search I was doing, I was treated to work at google ads.....

jbw, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  10. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Very much so - arent they shooting to be the main online source for all info out there? They need to learn suffer habbits to do so but why should anyone care as long as no illegal activity is in play and they dont slap a $19.99 fee just to lookup site XYZ.

cormac, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  11. Tom_e_rock

Tom_e_rock Peon

Best Answers:
    haha man this is kinda like that book 1984 by George Orwell. I'm now officially scared to search google. MSN's been the best to me, only one sending me traffic after my sites been up a couple days.

Tom_e_rock, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's suppose Google starts assigning trustrank to sites.
    Now let's suppose the assign a certain rank to sites that are out to game google.
    Now let's suppose your google login and associated ip addresses often visit sites with this low trust rank.
    Google could easily run some queries with their data, and even "score" you without a human ever being involved.

I don't really think this is happening now, but I think Google has the capacity to do this with the data they are building about each and every one of us now.

So should we exercise some caution in the information we choose to share about ourselves with Google?

dvduval, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google has any interest in tracking individual data (except in cases like AdSense abuse) - I don't think it's worth their time and computing resources to collect and analyze individual stats. It is worth their time and resources to compile and analyze aggregate data, of course -- that's what they can and are doing.

What this means, IMO, is that the data they collect is helping to improve the search results. Why would they care specifically about what websites you or I visit?

(and frankly if they have nothing better to do than follow me around, they have my blessing to do so)

minstrel, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  14. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    You have actually answered this question in your post - to improve the search results.

I’m thinking they want to know people's browsing habits and what sites makes people stay or click out (which Analytics already does for a webmaster). If they know what sites rate as popular then they can serve better results in Google rather than having any old Spam site hit the top listings.

If this does come about and search engines rate sites on how popular they are we are going to see a lot of sites flop big time and a rush for webmasters to brush up on their design skills.

Take Gmail for example and their Privacy Policy for Gmail which has a number of questions that go on answered like exactly what "content of messages and other information related to your use of Gmail" do they look at?

Don’t get me wrong, I am far from being paranoid from Google as I do believe they are collecting data for a better service and they are more than welcome to follow my data - good luck to them.

I also believe that Google has some really powerful computing resources and have the ability to collect so much data - sure the Google Cache is powerful itself.

cormac, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No. That answers the question "Why does Google want aggregate data on sites visited or clusters/sequences of sites visited?". It doesn't answer the question of why Google would want to keep individual stats on which sites I visit.

Your reference to web stats software is apt - it will give you entrance and exit pages, number of pages viewed, number of minutes spent on the site, metc., etc., all without identifying the individual surfer.

minstrel, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  16. 12washington

12washington Peon

Best Answers:
    12washington, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  17. SendBlast

SendBlast Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah dont worry so much, they dont care

SendBlast, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  18. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:

It may not identify the users to us but could it be possible Google can see these individual users? Which leads back to the question but why would they want to? I think I have a headache :(

cormac, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's my point: Why would they want to indeed? They don't need to to get the information they're after.

Another point to ponder before your head explodes: Try to imagine how much computing power it would take to track every net surfer. Or even every surfer with the Google Toolbar installed.

And if they don't track everyone individually, then who do they pick? personally, I'd have a real close look at dduval - he looks pretty shifty to me. :eek:

minstrel, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  20. janjalani

janjalani Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i think google doesnt really cares.

janjalani, Dec 1, 2005 IP