1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is my site removed?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by boohlick, Nov 17, 2005.

1. librarian

librarian Peon

Best Answers:
    Boohlick;

Your site now lists "196 Harris Street Pyrmont NSW 2009" as your Sydney address.
    Would you mind confirming that this is actually where you have your Sydney office?
    Thanks.

librarian, Nov 28, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Who the hell are you? You made a point of signing up just to post this? :confused:

minstrel, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  3. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that boohlick has acknowledged the answer to his query: “Why is my site removed?”

riz, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What does that mean? :confused:

minstrel, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  5. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Since boohlick has not responded, I am assuming that gratification has been achieved.

riz, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you've lost me too riz. I would guess boohlick has more than a few things to ponder before coming back to this thread. Give him time. There might yet be a rational and credible explanation but that ain't gonna be easy. As far as I know, and I have never looked at the DMOZ records on this site, it was moved to be re-reviewed not removed altogether. No doubt someone will do something based on the responses in this thread though, and it doesn't look good at the moment. That is why I am interested in what non-editors think we should do.

brizzie, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Based on all the response from the editors and all the hints provided by editors about his telephone service, address change,debts and court case to make him look like a scum, I can only imagine that this must be a very profitable section and he is most likely in competition with some editors in DMOZ and that is the reason for all the attentions.

That said, none of the hints from the editors are relevant. I don't know this guy and I don't know about his business (I am in Canada, he is in Australia) but by clicking on his link, I noticed that the industry that he is active in, is regulated by the government. In his site, he has his registration number which is 0321386. The industry is regulated by Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) with telephone number : +61 2 9299 5446 for general enquiries.

If the editors really like to know about his company, they just need to call that number and see if he has a valid license. If he doesn't have then he is working illegally and there is no need for DMOZ to list his site but if he has a valid license then his debt, psychics telephone line or court case is none of DMOZ editors business.

If court case and legal action are enough reason to remove listings then may I suggest to remove all the listings for AOL from DMOZ. AOL has been under investigation both from justice department and SEC and also been agreed to pay large fines for different illegal actions. ;)

gworld, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if this is a profitable field, but editor competiton should never be considered when reviewing a site. If you know anything specific, please tell me. If it's not specific I'll ignore it, considering where it came from. ;)

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The point is we just don't know... if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it might just be a duck, ya know? Clues give us reason to look closer, so we discuss it and try to figure it out; we don't simply click "accept" or "delete" and go on to the next one.

Wow, interesting reply gworld. Really. :)

This information is all new to me and definately worth checking into. I am in the USA but I'm sure an Australian editor will do as you recommend. What we try to do is figure out if the site is legitimate rather than clicking on delete at the first sign of a few negative clues. In all fairness, this site is still being considered; boohlick has been asked to clear up any confusion. (I would expect him to be aware of the licensing information, as you are, and he could have told us that at any time.)

If you're joking, I'm laughing. You can't seriously expect any company to ban its own website. Think Microsoft. :D

Thank you for a well thought out reply.

compostannie, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting enough, with all these investigations, he doesn't know that you can call the government office and ask if this person is licensed or not and instead posts about change of address, court case and psychic line. :rolleyes:

It is not relevant, unless you are going to say that DMOZ editors are more of authority than a government office which regulates that industry. ;)

Of course I know that it won't happen. :D I was just joking with all editors that try to act holier than holly while in the mean time they are volunteering for an organization that is responsible for a lot of people losing their retirement funds through financial manipulation. ;)

SEC Eyeing AOL Books

$210M Fine In AOL Probe

gworld, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    A google search didn't turn up the licensing information.

Now that would be a silly thing to say. The only way it's relevant to this site review is that it throws up a flag to be careful and check facts closer than we normally would.

I don't know anything about that, but a lot of people are losing their retirement funds. It's sad, and it's wrong but I doubt you could show me a completely clean large corporation. That's life; part good and part bad.

11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    "National Visas professional Migration Agents are registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)
    Registration Number 0321386 "

http://www.nationalvisas.com.au/ This is the site in his signature.

"Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)
    Migration agents operating in Australia are required by law to be registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Some migration agents operating outside Australia are also registered with the MARA."

Australian Government- Department of immigration

"Functions

The Authority's structure allows one body to have responsibility for the management of entry requirements, continued registration, and discipline of migration agents.

The Authority regulates the migration advice profession and undertakes a range of functions as defined in s316 of the Migration Act 1958. These functions include:

processing applications for registration;
    administering continuing professional development;
    monitoring the conduct of registered migration agents; and
    investigating complaints about, and taking appropriate disciplinary action against, registered migration agents who breach the Migration Agents Code of Conduct or otherwise behave in an unprofessional or unethical way. "

Migration Agents Registration Authority

"General Enquiries

Call our general telephone number +61 2 9299 5446 on NSW Business days during office hours to speak to one of our staff."

http://www.themara.com.au/Online/Default.asp?DeptID=187&ArticleID=208

Maybe DMOZ needs more editors with real life experience, instead of under-aged teenagers. ;)

gworld, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  12. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add a little fat to the fire :p - the category that the original poster wanted to be moved to is for businesses that are based in Australia and have offices in more than one state - the discovery of the construction photo for the office location makes one (or at least a bunch of editors :D ) question where this company is actually based. The other stuff that's turned up is quite interesting, but doesn't really affect a listing in that specific category.

Added - well that's really interesting, I guess they're sharing their branch office with AppTek.

lmocr, Nov 28, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Good detective work on your part gworld. Many things boohlick said were not honest and it's a shame he didn't just answer the question. Most of the editors discussing this issue in this thread have stated they didn't dig too deep. That was done at RZ before boohlick came here, I think...I could be wrong.

gworld, none of this has anything to do with real life experience; no one knows everything. Underaged teenagers are people too, and some of them are pretty darned smart and do good work. You speak as though dmoz is over-run with youngsters. It's not, but we do have a few very gifted ones working with us.

There's no way I'll ever know all the laws and licensing information for every country and every topic. It just isn't possible. That's why we have discussions with other editors in the internal forums; someone will know. We work as a team to figure these things out.

Again, thank you for the information. It is appreciated. :)

Edited: lmocr was quicker than me. As I've said before, I'm not familiar with the details and history of this particular site, so I can't comment on the AppTek thing. I believe lmocr was involved in the original discussion so she will know more than I do. ;)

14. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    Before anything else I would like to thank brizzie to giving this opportunity to get this one chance to prove all this things.

Thanks also to gworld for doing an intensive research regarding national visas. We truly appreciated it.

Please be advised that I’m only the site webmaster and I was only given the information to be updated in the site. The information needed here must be acknowledge by people who have real good knowledge in this topic, regarding this matter before I answer all questions I’ve as referred it to John Bell (Senior Migration Agent) of National Visas

Here’s what he wrote, to enlighten some misunderstandings:

I hope this clears up the matter and Im really hoping for your consideration and understanding on the issues we’ve been through. We did wish to misguide anyone and what we just want is proper placement or category for the site.

boohlick, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    angelfire and markkk like this.
  15. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    offtopic: what is a senior migration agent? :confused:

vlasta, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    You see what boohlick now says has a ring of credibility about it. We wouldn't have got to that had we not followed this process though it is a pity it didn't come out at the start. What we had was a jumble of companies that didn't make sense to be sharing the same office and a false/incorrect address - a building site no less. We also knew the site was submitted from outside Australia and boohlick's alter ego on Resource Zone was also outside Australia, yet boohlick was giving every impression it was his website, his business. I knew about the MARA information early on - one of the first things I checked. But do your homework properly gworld, MARA is a statutory self-regulation body, not one operated by a government agency, and the fact someone is registered does not make it a legitimate business especially when the address given is a building site.

Yeah right - you saw the photo of a building site didn't you? You would list a site where you have irrefutable proof that the address given, for a business that takes thousands of dollars from its clients for services, is a building site? Just because they are registered with a self-regulatory body? Thank God you are not an editor. I think what most people will see is that we are very careful about fake sites. Normally that would be enough not to list the site and an editor acting privately would probably alert the authorities. We don't have the time to spend a day or ten working on one suspect site. A suspect site wouldn't necessarily be rejected I might add - the suspicions are far more likely to see it left unreviewed for all time with no editor willing to list. This time we played it out and got something that might stand scrutiny in terms of a reasonable explanation. And BTW I don't believe any of the younger editors have been involved in this case.

It appears even the agency concerned is pleased we are so careful.

What we can now do is reference the site to this thread and the explanation contained in it. Whoever reviews the site for a listing in the national category can factor it in and decide whether or not to make further enquiries or accept it.

brizzie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, good knowledge of the topic was needed, which is why more information was requested. boohlick, you were able to communicate directly with the site owner, we had to rely on you as the middle-man to relay information. We are thorough, but we are not unreasonable.

boohlick, from your opening post I got the impression that this was your site rather than a client's site. Naturally, when a major piece of the puzzle is missing or inaccurate everything that follows will look odd. So questions are asked.

IMO it's better for an editor to ask questions than hit delete. I hear a lot of complaints that editors should take the time to contact submitters for more information when needed, or to tell them why a site isn't listed if it's a minor thing that can be fixed. I do this a lot. In my experience they seldom reply and after holding the site suggestion for a few months I will eventually delete it. What else can you do?

compostannie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have done my home work. I don't believe that you knew about MARA and even if you have seen it before then you are not smart enough to understand these subjects. :rolleyes:

MARA is assigned by the government of Australia to control this industry, as was quoted in my previous post from governments web site.

"Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA)
    Migration agents operating in Australia are required by law to be registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Some migration agents operating outside Australia are also registered with the MARA."

Australian Government- Department of immigration

Previous post

That said, it won't surprise me that some idiot editors think that they know better than government; and they are the one who should decide and not the authorities. :rolleyes:

gworld, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    gworld, you almost had me convinced that a troll can change his ways and become reasonable. Did I give you too much credit? I have a bad habit of looking beyond the bad to find the good; you'd think I'd have learned by now.

That said, if the government gives legitmacy to the website it will not be declined on the basis of being less than honest. On the other hand, it still has to meet the requirements for listing. You know, little details like does the site even work, do the links work, content, is it a mirror, does it redirect, little things like that. I haven't looked at the site, but those things will be considered for any legitimate business. I don't see how that makes us idiots. :rolleyes:

Please don't troll, I'll talk to you if you're nice but I will not feed a troll.

compostannie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Annie;

some adj.

Being an unspecified number or quantity: Some people came into the room. Would you like some sugar?

Based on brizzie posting, does he sound like an idiot? YES. Do I think that he is the only one in DMOZ who is like that? NO

Therefore, SOME idiot editors.

gworld, Nov 29, 2005 IP
    guerilla likes this.