1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

25k Co-op weight available

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Nitin M, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nitin, keep us updated. To me it sounds like a very generous test.

Hodgedup, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. Cartman

Cartman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sent you a PM!

Cartman, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  3. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all who sent me PM's. Many worthwhile tests but not enough weight for all of them. Right now am just working with chachi on several different types of tests. I wouldn't expect any worthwhile results to post for at least a couple weeks. As soon as we have someething we'll post it. Thanks.

Nitin M, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    some of the ranking I previous mentioned are no longer with it

ferret77, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  5. vectorgraphx

vectorgraphx Guest

Best Answers:
    I've got a new url that i'd be interested in using for your experiment, if you want. Homepage is indexed in google, but that's it.

VG

vectorgraphx, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  6. Dan

Dan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any update on your experiment yet Nitin?

Dan, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Im interested in the results too (bump)

Design Agent, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  8. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Well I didn't have the discipline or time to make these isolated tests and to repeat them to see if the results were repeatable/predictable, but I do use the coop and we do have our own system that we run on close to 2000 sites and here's a bit of what we're seeing. This is just my personal opinions and and I'm not going to try to convince anyone I'm right ... I could well be wrong. Also, I have been paying for advice and have agreed to a non-disclosure that I don't want to violate so I am trying to walk a fine line here between what I learned on my own and some specific information I bought and am not supposed to be discussing. But here are some of my educated guesses.. take it or leave it:

1) The coop really can bring you real traffic. I know most of the links are on footers, and not fantastic sites, but we get decent referral traffic from the coop even if it had no other benefit. So, the real question is, can it hurt you and I'll give my opinions on that in a minute.

2) Coop & MSN: Absolutely helps. MSN has almost no filter based on incoming links. I've only ever blown through MSN once because of overweighting links and it was when I went with a link from all pages on all our sites (at the time ~1500) sites to see if I could rank #1 for home mortgage (I was at #6 and just lost patience and wanted to see if I could brute-force my way to #1). Coop works very well for MSN when we want to go after medium competitive 3 or 4 word phrases with ~2k weight it works like a champ. The html title on the document, the standard on-page factors have to be in-sync to rank for MSN and then pour some coop onto it.

2) Yahoo. Coop used to work very well for yahoo and now it seems to be hit or miss. We just don't put a lot of effort into yahoo but sometimes we find ourselves ranking well by accident. Yahoo traffic seems to match MSN traffic and its far below Google. Since MSN is easier to predict than Yahoo and Google provides so much more traffic we focus on MSN and Google.

3) Coop and Google. My experience has been that G doesn't like my sites with the coop as the only source of incoming links if I'm trying to place in the SERPS. Coop for simply getting indexed is a miracle worker and works quite well in the 500-2000 weight range for a new site. For established sites, throwing upto about 10k weight has been safe and helpful but not the huge, bump to page 1 it used to be. If you are going to push more than 20k weight at a single site that you are targetng for google, then IMHO you had better have an excellent distribution of existing links. If you are going to go extreme with 50k or more weight you better know what you're doing and what you're risking... it's possible but I am only comfortable with it in specific scenarios. There are still people that believe incoming links can't hurt you and that's bullshit. It's all about distribution. Distribution of anchors, class C IP's, dates and quantities of new links, link pages, new pages, etc.

Now, I do know of people that have wildly different experience with coop and google and know some experienced guys that still are using coop exclusively with new sites and getting them to rank with google ... but I haven't been successful with it. I've been told my lack of success was more to do with my sites and lack of distribution of titles, dup content, etc.

Going way off topic now ... but biggest piece of advice I can give is to start attending the conferences and networking. Our adsense income has been very high for about a year now and funds all our other business endeavors. We thought we were king shits but at the conference we were really humbled ... there are people making some seriously sick money (like 300k/month just from adsense) and so no matter what level you're at there's always huge room for growth.

BTW - Shoe is a poker god [4/20]

Nitin M, Nov 28, 2005 IP
    Design Agent, a389951l, Homer and 2 others like this.
  9. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much for sharing your findings with us, Nitin.
    No wonder he does so well with online business ;).

Homer, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  10. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Yes - thanks Nitin for sharing your thoughts and opinions. Sort of matches what I am seeing with the coop.

Geez - $300k/month? I have a lot of work to do!

a389951l, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  11. Dan

Dan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Nitin... Some very useful insights there!

BTW which conferences are you referring to?

Dan, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  12. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Pubcon was the latest - we do the vegas annual. Although I don't care much for the WMW forums, pubcon I think is a very good event. I think we're going to start going to SES a couple of times a year too.

Nitin M, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  13. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Networking is really what they are all about. I have to say it's totally worth going and like Nitin I will be attending at least one of the SES.

larysmith711, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  14. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I have really been delinquent about reporting here. Then again, I forgot we had these two tests going until I met Nitin at PubCon. I am not exactly sure where we are at weight wise right now (Nitin can answer that if he has a second), but I belive we started with about 5k weight at two brand new, 1 year reg, db driven sites. The content was purchased here from other members in the form of mysql databases and we spruced one of the sites up with some supplemental data from Amazon AWS when available. I think Nitin said we were up to 15k weight to each at the current time.

One site is a lyrics site and one is a cheat codes site. You make the call on how competitive the terms are. We are only pointing weight at the home page of each site. I have pointed one or two static links to each site in addition to the coop weight and that started around the same time that this whole experiment got off the ground.

Sadly, I don't remember if we are using more than one set of anchor text for each site, I do not believe we are. I believe we are simply using the name of the site or the domain name. In the first case, the lyrics site, it has two words separated by hyphens before the word lyrics and is a .com domain. Here is the organic search traffic for the past 30 days.

www.google.com| 87
    web.ask.com| 60
    www.google.ca| 20
    search.msn.com| 17
    www.ask.com| 15
    search.yahoo.com| 10
    uk.ask.com| 6
    www.google.de| 6
    google.co.uk| 4
    aolsearch.aol.com| 4
    google.com.au| 4
    www.google.lt| 3
    www.google.pl| 3
    google.com.mx| 3
    www.google.se| 2
    www.google.nl| 2
    www.google.es| 2
    www.google.cl| 2
    google.co.nz| 2
    google.com.pr| 2
    google.co.in| 2
    sidesearch.lycos.com| 2
    www.google.ro| 1
    google.com.co| 1
    www.web10.us| 1
    google.com.tr| 1
    aol.co.uk| 1
    sympatico.msn.ca| 1
    msn.co.jp| 1
    www.altavista.com| 1
    search.msn.es| 1
    google.com.ar| 1
    www.icq.com| 1
    www.google.dk| 1
    search.msn.it| 1
    search.netscape.com| 1
    google.com.vn| 1
    search.ntlworld.com| 1
    www.google.pt| 1
    www.google.at| 1
    google.com.pe| 1
    google.co.cr| 1
    www.google.be| 1
    search.lycos.com| 1
    google.com.ph| 1
    eu.ixquick.com| 1
    google.co.ve| 1
    google.co.il| 1
    latam.msn.com| 1
    www.roxter.pl| 1
    www.musicasinlimites.com| 1
    google.co.th| 1
    searcht.netscape.com| 1
    msn.co.in| 1
    search.msn.no| 1

As you can see, Google is driving the vast majority of the search traffic (not a lot) to the site. Again, there are only one or two static links pointing to this site in addition to the coop weight. For all of the PR junkies, the site is currently a PR4.

The cheat codes site is performing similar to the lyrics site. Here are some organic traffic numbers for the past 30 days:

search.msn.com| 2791
    www.google.com| 293
    google.co.uk| 50
    search.yahoo.com| 48
    sympatico.msn.ca| 47
    www.google.ca| 30
    google.com.au| 28
    aolsearch.aol.com| 15
    ninemsn.com.au| 12
    www.google.nl| 11
    www.google.de| 10
    msntv.msn.com| 10
    msn.co.uk| 8
    www.google.fr| 8
    www.google.it| 7
    www.google.se| 6
    google.com.mx| 5
    search.earthlink.net| 5
    google.co.il| 5
    search.aol.com| 5
    www.ask.com| 5
    www.google.pl| 5
    google.com.br| 4
    www.google.be| 4
    www.comcast.net| 3
    www.altavista.com| 3
    aol.co.uk| 3
    www.google.es| 3
    web.ask.com| 3
    www.google.ru| 3
    www.google.pt| 3
    www.google.at| 3
    t1msn.com.mx| 3
    www.google.fi| 2
    google.com.gr| 2
    www.indexway.com| 2
    yahoo.co.jp| 2
    google.com.vn| 2
    search.msn.es| 2
    google.com.my| 2
    www.google.ro| 2
    www.eniro.se| 2
    google.co.th| 2
    google.co.hu| 2
    cc.msnscache.com| 2
    www.google.dk| 2
    xtramsn.co.nz| 2
    google.co.in| 2
    google.com.tr| 2
    search.peoplepc.com| 2
    google.co.za| 2
    msn.co.jp| 2
    google.co.jp| 2
    www.google.ae| 1
    search.msn.se| 1
    www.eniro.dk| 1
    search.netscape.com| 1
    www.google.ie| 1
    search.msn.fr| 1
    sucheaol.aol.de| 1
    suche.freenet.de| 1
    search.msn.de| 1
    google.com.| 1
    www.google.no| 1
    aimhome.netscape.com| 1
    search.findtarget.com| 1
    www.online.no| 1
    search.virgilio.it| 1
    google.com.ph| 1
    google.co.kr| 1
    msn.co.za| 1
    www.alltheweb.com| 1
    aolrecherche.aol.fr| 1
    msn.com.tw| 1
    google.co.nz| 1
    google.com.co| 1
    comcast.net| 1
    gps.virgin.net| 1
    www.google.cl| 1
    msn.com.my| 1
    search.msn.nl| 1
    tiscali.co.uk| 1
    msn.com.sg| 1
    broadband.suscom.net| 1
    latam.msn.com| 1
    google.com.sg| 1

As you can see, MSN is starting to send some traffic to that site. Before all of you copycats jump on the bandwagon, note that this has recently jumped because of a first page listing for a big two word search term. As Nitin noted, having the title tag and other on-page factors in-line when you are using coop weight can bring results on MSN, and I agree in some cases on Yahoo.

Shoemoney can't play poker for s#@! ;)

chachi, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  15. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    Your links went live Aug. 10th (because I screwed up initially and didn't enable them) and there is only one link for each of the 2 sites. For both sites the link is simply the domain (e.g. www.domain.com).

The initial weight was 2k/site and it moved up to 8k/site. I don't have the dates on the weight increases because other than maybe the first increase, they were automatic based on the weights in the ad network going up.

Nitin M, Nov 30, 2005 IP