1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ok stop making dropped domains directories!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by scoobby, Sep 27, 2007.

I went to the socializations and anouncment section in order to promote my directory and at least the half of anouncments are for dropped domains with some PR and open for free submisions.They do that and then either trick users that this is an old,quality and established directory or they sell it to other people and trick him that the directory have traffic and many submisions so please respected people of this forum just tell the people not helping these scums to get other people trick eitherway.

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    jg123 and Fastian like this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess they could just tell people to mind their own business though, their not breaking any type of law and theres much worse out there.

By that i dont mean im in favour of it but i mean ive accepted to leave them to their own devices.

If i interfered with the drug dealers in the area where i live i would probably be shot dead.

The guys using dropped domains wont shoot but they will do as they please.

pipes, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  3. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point :D

threebuckchuck, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  4. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    you know many people doesnt understand the procedure these scums have(including me before several months)so it will be handy someone well known say what is really hapening.That will make both submiters and scums thinking twice before they involved in this procedure.

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are ripping off your fellow DP members, so leaving them alone is not a good idea. Plus if you have a directory then you should really care because they hurt the whole industry and if someone is tricked by them they might not submit to directories anymore.

I have made a few posts on this subject in the past but most people just ignore it. Just cause these scammers do it in a low-key way does not mean they are not every bit as vicious as any other fraudster out there. "Leaving them alone" just encourages them to continue and rip-off more people.

jg123, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A good statement that you make but i also believe im being realistic in realising that it cannot be stopped, fools are born everyday but so are rip off merchants, its like a never ending supply, you could spend too much time trying to keep track of them.

And im forever weary of annoying complete strangers incase they take their anger out on my sites. As i say, i dont like anyone being ripped off but it really cant be stopped.

pipes, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  7. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    i couldnt agree more with you! some posts from you or other old members open my eyes.
    Thank you jg123

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  8. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not a fan of "dropped domain" directories myself and I am glad to see this reaction. There was a dropped domain owner who was trying to convince me his site was much better than most because of the PR, even though all of the backlinks were irrelevant.

Glad to see some nice discussion coming back to DP

Lance

LanceT22, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Pipes but if no one ever makes a stand it just continues. It has gotten to the point where fairly senior members of this forum are doing it because they see no one taking a stand.

There was one member here that has around 8 bars of reputation and he was buying dropped domains, putting up free phpld and a free template, announcing them here as high PR directories with free regular listings and then building up some traffic and revenue through featured and site-wides then selling them within a month or two over at SP and in his auctions he was bragging about the earnings which he duped out-of unsuspecting DP members.

jg123, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  10. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:
    uggghhh... that IS NOT good.. :(

LanceT22, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I fully agree. :D
    Same ol same ol. If someone does not dance and listen to the majority tunes they are outcasts. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a link to the DP thread I made on this topic, it was because I got tired of supporting these sites inadvertantly through giving them free listings and traffic. I ask that everyone else not support them either, I am guessing these free listings get deleted anyways by the new owners.

jg123, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  13. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    mikey1090, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  14. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    its nice you have the courage to post this but again this wasnt a good thing
    to do!What is your age by the way?you were under 18 when u use as you say doing that kind of things?And i thought you were with the good guys...i guess i was wrong... :)

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, I don't remember that mikey1090 and you are not the person I am talking about in my thread posted above, I think I mention the members name there.

I also just had a PM answer from another member here with good reputation and almost 1k posts and this person also does not see it as being a problem. Here is my comment and his answer:

and his answer via PM:

Talk about being in denial....

jg123, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  16. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  17. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The majority of the blame should rest with the submitters - some are so desperate for a link, any link, that they could care less.

CReed, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  18. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with that even though I acknowledge that those QBC's (the owners tend to be so) are so annoying, ripping people off.

But all in all, those who don't even bother learning some basic SEO need to "pay" for the consequence. Most likely, they are just after for high PR links.

I have seen a PR6 dropped domain site selling links on the home page. It had only few pages, including contact page. Each link was like $100/mo. And I saw about 40 links on it. It's scary.

coolsitez, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  19. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please consider that some of the submitters(the most IMO) dont know the difference.So i will give some tips to people that are more newbies than me.
    1)If you see a directory called stephenspielberg.com or buybrokencars.com or olympicgames2004.org get suspicious.
    2)if you see a directory homepage have pr5 and all or most every pages hav pr not available or pr0 get very suspicious,if number 1 tip is also present be sure that this is a droped domain.
    3)Now something tricky that i notice today in soc and anouncm section
    if number 1 tip is present and the directory show pr and in the inner pages check the urls of the pages if you go to directory category hotels and the url is in a form of olympicgames20004.org/triplejump is also a droped domain!

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  20. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its a problem that has been going on for some time, everyone is talking about it but no action has been taken? Why? :(

Ibn Juferi, Sep 27, 2007 IP