1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Example on How to build the ULTIMATE directory!!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by LaCabra, Sep 27, 2007.

1. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ FuzionIT - hey, is this a custom script, or off the shelf,
    would be glad if u could share the name.

EDIT: thanx, :D

msolution, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  2. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    enQuira, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  3. FuzionIT

FuzionIT Peon

Best Answers:
    geodesicsolutions.com/classifiedssoftware/classifieds_ads_software_enterprise.htm

FuzionIT, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think this idea is cool and gives more info. If this could be done for every subcategory/category it will benefit the most and I am looking to change the script of mine for something like this.

popotalk, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  5. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Nahhh anon ... just in YOUR eyes!!! Many people, and unfortunately not you, are starting to understand what makes a good directory. It involves a paradigm shift but people are coming around to it.

only idiots will red rep you. Its actually a good question FuzionIT is following this thread so he will probably let you know.
    EDIT: he's beat me to the post

Its somewhat cluttered in terms of ads and maybe there is a better way to handle the navigation but you are definitely on the right track.

hehehe popotalk ... as you know, i'm only just trying to lead people down the right path in terms of proper directory integration. Thanks for your support!
    ;)

LaCabra, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  6. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you look at the pic i posted last night ( in naming listings ? ) you will see i have allready built this in to my system.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=4621201&postcount=18

Here's me thinking i have a head start :)

DownUnder, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  7. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the listing page of an ad using phpclassifieds
    http://www.dressagequebec.com/classifieds/detail.php?id=1
    You can add as many fields as you wish, like address, phone, price, year, ... everything from from the admin panel.

enQuira, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Would love to see a sample of that. You can Pm me anytime if you want to.

Could this be done if I transfer my present script to a new one and implement this on allcats/subcats. Or it might be easier that I have someone write a special one for it ? Thanks again mhamdi and the others for your contributions.

9. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    popotalk I think you are looking for a business directory script not a classifieds script. What features did you like in the classifieds script?

enQuira, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I am thinking of a script that could accommodate/preserve all my present listings including categories and subs with those additional ads as well as some MODS.

Would a new original script then let someone rewrite would do better ?

Thanks

11. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm a classifieds addon would be a great addition to my business directory, I think.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  12. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I still don't understand exactly what you are looking for, but if you want to add ads, I suggest you add a classifieds section in say classifieds.yourdir.com and put the latest ads, ads categories, ... in the original directory homepage as well,...
    If you want to add additional fields for more info to the listng than that can be done with small modifications to the script you are using. esyndicat makes this task even easier where you can add fields from the admin panel.

enQuira, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  13. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    This isn't what i would look for in a directory as an end user. Billions of links to pile on the confusion and make it harder to find what you are looking for and running classifieds isn't for everyone.

I don't understand why web directories need loads of content when their purpose is simply to list other websites along with the details. If you where the end user you would want simple clean and easy to use. Just look at google front page for example. If google is forcing people to add content to escape being filtered thats just stupid there should be some other criteria to follow.

mrcrowley, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  14. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    I think directories should bring more than just links to be useful for end users.

enQuira, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  15. FuzionIT

FuzionIT Peon

Best Answers:
    Content is useful to drive viewers to the site via the search engines. Otherwise you would just have to rely on the content of each website listing to get found. I've not run a 'pure' directory but content is certainly king on a portal site.

For example, one of my most popular pages is an article on Seabiscuit. People find it by searching for info on Seabiscuit then browse the rest of the site including the ads etc.

FuzionIT, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  16. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    mrcrowley creating such a site brings value to your readership. Most sites have a comprehensive search function that can facilitate finding the information you want and then some.

Your google example is great as they do have many service offerings other than search. They also have a directory, news, maps, shopping etc. I would like to draw your attention to another good example Yahoo! They started off as a directory and built many services around it. Now if you compare their front page to google's its significantly busier HOWEVER they both offer MULTIPLE SERVICES and that is the key. Obviously they differ in opinion as to how to display that info but the buttom line is that they have multiple services which drives traffic and readership and ultimately multiple revenue streams.

cheers
    :)

LaCabra, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  17. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that content such as articles or blogs can bring traffic to a directory but this is still sidetracking from the primary use of a web directory, which is to list sites. I just noticed that dmoz has recently started a blog in the last few days but otherwise there is little on there that you could regard as content. The same with yahoo directory little to no content.

18. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow.... I am not even sure what that site was. I had to close it as soon as I saw it for fear of an epileptic seizure... If that is what people are looking for I am in big trouble...

LanceT22, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  19. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently not in just MY eyes, but others as well.
    Try reading your own thread and the responses you are getting.

an0n, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  20. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    rofl i kind of feel the same way about it... but really its not that bad, everyone has there own tastes ;)

Adding to my last post. I think directories should be able to be what they want to be. But in particular if it only wants to be just a web directory why should it be penalized for that? As the primary use isn't meant for content. Google doesn't penalize a download site that only serves downloads.

LanceT22 likes this.