1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I changed from phpBB2 to vbulletin, should I do something for the crawlers?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by blinxdk, Nov 28, 2005.

As the title says, last wednesday I decided to that a forum had gotten large enough that the benefits of changing would upweight the price of vbulletin, so I went ahead and imported everything from phpBB2 to vbulletin and so far it's been a very positive experience - the users even like it :)

However I now have 24.000 dead links in google pointing to the phpBB2 viewthread pages, and none of the vbulletin ones, this is ofcouse rather inconvenient.

Shortly after making the change I installed the vbseo sitemap plugin and submittet that to google (never been using sitemaps for the forum before). But it hasn't helped yet, googlebot has touched the index page and 4-5 threads but no more and only the index one is shown in a search.

Today googlebot has been attempting to crawl the phpBB2 urls like crazy, so I'm guessing it has noticed something is up, but is there anything else I should do to ensure that the new vbulletin urls gets crawled? Should I do some redirects for the dead urls or just leave google to sort it out eventually?

blinxdk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  2. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And how many people, forums, visits can not phpbb handel?

TheSyndicate, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  3. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    No idea, I'm sorry if I gave that impression, but that wasn't the reason for changing. It was primarily better administration, extra features and security.

I have Threads: 3,652, Posts: 83,476 and phpBB2 ran that fine.

blinxdk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  4. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    jag trodde du hade druckig för många öl!
    Ahh ok i was asking beucase i am starting a forum in phpbb soon and i know its going to get loads of traffic. What program did you use to transfer the stuff?

5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can do a 301 redirect or a custom 404 error page. Wither way, google will find everything in a few weeks or so.

joeychgo, Nov 28, 2005 IP
    blinxdk likes this.
  6. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    :D

Vbulletin has an "impex" program that made the transfer quite easy, just a few clicks and a bit of waiting and everything was imported into the new forum.

blinxdk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  7. blinxdk

blinxdk Peon

Best Answers:
    I've though about a custom 404 page that just tells that we have changed software and points a link to the forum index, I think I'll go with that and just try to be patient.

Thanks

blinxdk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. TheSyndicate

Best Answers:
    Nice to know when i am done playing around with phpbb i can switch to a pro program without any problems thanks :)