1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you allow DEEPLINKS pointing to the same URL?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jl255, Sep 26, 2007.

Just wondering what you guys feel about submissions that use the deeplinks to point to the same URL. Maybe 1,2 repeats or even all for that matter. It seems like it is understandable for submitters to want to do that if their website covers many topics that a single title is insufficient to capture all the target words.

And if the other DEEPLINK titles are not misleading about the website, it will also be useful for visitors to get a good idea of what the website offers at a glance.

So would you allow it? Let's hear from everyone.... Cheers :)

jl255, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  2. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes , why not

DownUnder, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  3. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No I would not allow same urls for deeplinks

Freewebspace, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  4. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Deep links should link to important pages of the site like the sitelinks google shows. So pointing them to the main url is keyword stuffing/spammingtrying to manipulate serps.
    There should also be an option to reject deep links even if you accept the main url.

enQuira, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  5. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I allow it, but will eventually reevaluate the site a few months down the road(generally every google update) and then adjust accordingly.

an0n, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't allow it, the description can cover all the target words. If they have another title about another part of the website, why not just link directly to that? Isn't the whole purpose of deeplinks to point directly to the page of interest?

I think a lot of submitters don't understand deeplinks. About half of our submissions come without the deeplinks filled in so I do that for them as part of the review. Sometimes they come with all the deeplinks pointing to the root URL and in those cases I change them to the page that corresponds best to the title given.

They're paying for an editorial review, not for the right to spam us with anything they like. Stick to your editorial guidelines. :)

compostannie, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    banless and enQuira like this.
  7. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I except if something like this
    Title- Directories URL: http:// www .blahblah.com/Directories/
    Title- Webmasters URL: http:// www .blahblah.com/Webmasters/
    Title- Templates URL: http:// www .blahblah.com/Templates/
    Title- Health URL: http:// www .blahblah.com/Health/
    Title- Design URL: http:// www .blahblah.com/Design/

jminscoe, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  8. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    You can make it easier for them by mentioning that they are "links to important pages of your site", if any, of course.

enQuira, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  9. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I will allow it sometimes. It just depends on the submitters site, some sites do not have alot of inner pages to link to. I think most submitters only do this because they do understand the value of deep links so they just put something there for the heck of it.

Might be a good idea to lay down some guidelines on your submission pages which states how to use the deep link option and what pages might be best to link to.

banless, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  10. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you can do what compostannie said below. Quality Directory = Quality editing/review. Which actually poses the question, do you edit/review the deep links submitted?

threebuckchuck, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  11. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always change em when they do that, I think you will find that submitters do it because they do not understand the concept of deep links.

Dave E, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  12. inderpal

inderpal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will email the person about the same and change them accordingly. Luckily, I haven't got any submission yet with deeplinks pointing to the same URL......

inderpal, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  13. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you can do what I said below. Not every site deserves deep links and you can reject them if they are only to get extra links. That's why I don't charge for them, like everyone else do, including you.

enQuira, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  14. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    If a site doesn't have enough content to have pages that would qualify for a deeplink, then that site most likely doesn't have enough content for any type of listing in my directory. In that case it should and will be rejected. :D

threebuckchuck, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    What if you want to add a page from wikipedia for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_directory

will you find deep links for that page?

enQuira, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  16. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    So you are saying you evaluate every link in your directory on each update? What if you get a lot of links could you do it then? :eek:

The Pheonix, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes we do, mostly we don't when we add sites ourselves. A listing doesn't HAVE to have deeplinks, it's an option.

But to answer your question, if I wanted to add the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_directory
    I would first add http://en.wikipedia.org as the main entry and then list the URL you give as an example as a deeplink of wikipedia.

Does this make sense?

18. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps a guide for people on how to correctly list their directory, i know i am building a template / guide allowing users to design thier links etc based on thier site / business ?

Hard work sorting it all to make sense ( for a nuff like me )but there will be a page and layout view

and example of what i am doing below as a test for ins company wanting to shift to 3 pages in the site

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

DownUnder, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  19. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    That is my point also.
    Not really, What description will you write for that listing, knowing that it will be placed in the directories category. Also, I think placing a direct link to the page of interest is the way to go, especially that not everybody goes to the details pages anyway.

enQuira, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Why in the world would you assume I'd place a link to wikipedia in the directories category? We have it listed here where it belongs. If I added a deeplink to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_directory the main listing would still belong right where we have it. :confused: