1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about the new blog from dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by banless, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm interested in knowing if you guys think that the new blog that has been launched by dmoz will be of any help to others.

http://blog.dmoz.org/

banless, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The interesting thing will be how long does it take before they start to censor the blog if people start posting concrete information about the corruption in ODP. :D

gworld, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I got my answer, this sh*t is no different than internal forum or RZ. I posted this comment:

"The problem is not with communication or ODP's lack of knowledge about the problems. The problems is that there is a culture in ODP that benefits from corruption and stagnation and as long as these people are not dealt with then nothing will change no matter how many blogs ODP has. At least, you can get rid of resource-zone in the mean time, so they can not pretend that they are DMOZ."

and in no time, it was deleted. DMOZ has no interest in changing and only interested to pretend to want to change. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  4. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL! I saw your post Julian! It's gone alright. So it's evident the official blog is using the same commando tactics as the unofficial RZ. The new blog is barely up and already showing the same colors. Even if it had been different, it's too little too late. Just as you said, the problem is internal and no blog is going to fix that. :D :D :D

dogbows, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With so many of senior editors being part of the problem and benefiting from the corruption, is this really a surprise?

This is the reason I always said that problem in DMOZ is not about this editor and that editor and the corruption is systematic and organizational. Corruption, stagnation and resistance to any change that can in danger the side benefits for the "editors" is part of accepted culture of DMOZ and there is no way that these people can act against their own interest, no matter what is claimed in the blog or anywhere else.

gworld, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  6. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I am gob-smacked to read this comment from you. You have been farting around these forums for years telling everyone about your concrete proof and about how you are too scared to post it because you might lose you precious bit shot editall status you claim to have. You take being a hypocrite to an entirely new level.

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you honestly have a complete and total lack of know how to post something on topic as it pertains to the original post? It's amazing you are an editor, as if you edit at DMOZ the same you post here, it's no wonder DMOZ has so many sites listed in the wrong categories :rolleyes:

Well, the bright side is that the blog is official, so there is no way they can blow it off as something else like they do with RZ, and if it's really Bob that's started, maybe Bob will actually see that the meta team and their lackies are a bunch of trolls with a deep seated hatred to any and all webmasters. (note: the public meta community is what is seen at RZ, and one only needs to log into RZ to see just what types of people thay have become).

I do think this is a step in the right direction.

Qryztufre, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well well you have become the master of these dirty little jabs have you not?

I think you are all mixed up again Qryztufre. You know about how skerenta was the founder of DMOZ? You have been harping on him for some time so I guess you do. Anyhow, Rich is the founder and Bob is the architect. Much of ontology has been designed by him, many of the higher permissions were granted by him, quite a few removed by him as well, resource-zone was created with his agreement, if not his blessing, the majority of the guidelines were written by him, basically the ODP we see today was created by him. So what exactly are you expecting him to do?

That’s the deal with you get about 20% of the story, extrapolate the other 80% and go flying off on a wild goose chase. Instead of joining the ODP under false pretenses and quitting in a snit you could have looked around and learnt how the place worked.

I do agree with you, but it is only one small step an on its own it is meaningless.

9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Wasn't a jab, just a pondering based on observation...

I see, so if it was founded on corruption, and built upon secrecy... it's no wonder it is how it is...

LOL, and what does that quote say about you? I'm not going into why I joined, it's obvious that you are projecting why you are here on why you think I was there. Maybe if you'd take a step back to look around you'd see that my 20% of the story is all that's needed to know exactly what the ODP was founded on and what keeps it going. Sadly I didn't see it before I joined.

If nothing is to be done about the current flaws, then there are no steps that will make it meaningful. Yes, it does take small steps, and most of those small steps will mean nothing till they are all added up...but there are other steps that are needed, and I hope those steps are taken.

10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you not post here a day or two before you joined the ODP
    You wanted to see it dead. We all got to stand together and complain all about it. This is before you joined. Bet ya didn't mention that in your application.

11. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Back then he was young and naive and didn't believe all those stories about evil metas - most editors don't until they get removed. :(

Most editors join because they really want to help out it is DMOZ system that turns them into ex-editors full of anger and totally dischanted by what DMOZ propaganda is trying to paint DMOZ to be! :(

Ivan Bajlo, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And I stand by my word...but I would rather see it as something useful for all then dead, or did you happen to miss me say that? Yes, if the people that are complaining stand up together as a GROUP rather then sitting around complaining here more will get done, and that is a matter of fact. Do you deny it?

The same applies to editors that are not raising their voices for the things they do not like. If the people that see the troubles within the project do not start working together, then there will be no change. Is it really a call to demolish the project to see it working to the best of it's potential?

Do you still wish to take me out of context while you claim I do the same? Why not stand up and get your voice heard to make DMOZ a place worthy of all it's hype? Or do you just assume to hang out here at Digital point making the project look worse with each of your posts?

Now count the question marks, and then when you reply, people can count the questions you don't answer.

You have a complete and total inability to agree with anyone here, even when someone here is FOR the project. Why is that? Could it fall down to the old cliche "If you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem".

Is there a place on the application to state such things? I certainly never denied it! In fact, I stood by it while I was an editor in the internal forums.

13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm very disappointed to see an ODP editor taking this thread off topic to start a flame war. Yesterday when I heard about the blog I was very excited about it but it's quickly getting a black eye from posts like this, the condescending remarks that a certain editor keeps making on the blog itself and its apparent lack of support by editors in outside forums.

Oh, and the heavy moderation isn't helping either. The moderated posts are finding their way to blogs and forums. This makes the blog look like it doesn't really want to hear what people have to say unless it's positive. If you get crackpot remarks why not let them have all the rope they need and see what they do with it? Do you think the public is too stupid to notice a troll commenting when they see it?

This is only day 2. Can we please get back to the topic of the blog and give it a chance. If ODP editors (and others) have nothing to contribute to this discussion about the blog, maybe they could be so kind as to take the trolling to another thread?

compostannie, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    dogbows likes this.
  14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Either my eyesight has gotten worse but I can't seem to find link to blog anywhere from DMOZ main site. :confused:

So annie and banless how did you find it? ;)

15. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Gworld said:
    Nebuchadrezzar said:
    Shrenta in a December 2006 post on his blog said in his own words pretty much what gworld said:
    The whole post by Shrenta can be found here:

http://www.skrenta.com/2006/12/dmoz_had_9_lives_used_up_yet.html

It's the last paragraph under the update. So the new blog is not the answer. The answer lies within the the ODP culture itself.

dogbows, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  16. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    An editor friend gave me the link via MSN messenger. :)

It would be great if we could all just support this initiative to see where it goes. It could be the start of something that benefits everyone and I'm very excited to see this. It was just born yesterday, please give this baby a chance. ;)

compostannie, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should also look at the type of censor. While they have nothing against criticizing this editor or that editor or mentioning the possibility of corruption, they will censor posts which mentions that corruption in DMOZ is systematic and part of it's culture. They would not like to approach the cause of the problems which requires a fundamental change in ODP procedures and routines since too many editors are dependent on and benefit from it's flaws. It can also be that staff are worried that if they close the loop holes which makes these abuse possible then the last 200-300 editors will start running toward the door. Can it be that DMOZ doesn't believe that ODP can be run on volunteer base and the loop holes are rewards and payment for those who "edit"?

gworld, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  18. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Although skeptical, I was perfectly ready to give it a chance. The only problem is that in the first two days, it has shown the same status quo as always. I hope it turns around, but I don't have any faith that it will. Sorry, annie! It is what it is!

dogbows, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With so much corruption, power hunger and vanity in DMOZ senior editors, obviously he didn't do a good job.

It seems he failed there too since corruption continues.

The black eye of DMOZ, is this really something that he would like to be mentioned about him? :rolleyes:

The guideline that you can run a truck full of sh*t through it and anything and everything can be listed or not listed depending on what you want to do? :rolleyes:

With no user, declining number of editors and listings, bad reputation and rampant corruption where listings are bought and sold openly, he wasn't very successful, was he?

In a western world, people with so much failure, normally resign or are fired. In Japan the term hara-kiri comes to mind.

gworld, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    so it was violation of communication guidelines :D

compostannie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.