1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Help

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005.

1. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough i can understand that i suppose they get bombarded with irrelevant sites, and if they feel like contributing they go off on their own to try and find relevant sites. Unfortunately my cats are fairly saturated.. just bothers me that they got in and I can't. Is there anything i can do or someone's eyes you might be able to get me in front of, it's been a long time and it's a piece of the puzzle i'd really like to solve.

MountainLife, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You said:

"Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once"

"How long should I wait before I resubmit?"

The simple answer is "forever".

The ODP submission guidelines used to say to do it every month, but this has been rendered unnecessary by changes in how the ODP works. Once a submission has been received, it will never go away. It will sit in that category, awaiting review. Submissions do not expire.

So the preferred method is now to suggest the site to the category and wait at least a month. If, after a month, the site has not appeared, then feel free to submit one more time only. Please note that a new submission to the same category overwrites the previous one. Editors have many ways of sorting the pool of unreviewed sites in a category and one of them is by submission date. If this is the case, then a resubmission will show up further down the list and may end up taking longer to get reviewed.

"Yes there are categories that haven't been looked at in years, what good would it do to resubmit if the site hasn't been looked at?"

Because there are other categories that have active editors. By submitting to another relevant category, you might actually have a chance of having someone look at your submission after 3 years.

"If someone is reviewing in date order, then the site would be even farther away from being reviewed."

The default view isn't by date, and submitting to another category would have nothing to do with this anyway.

"And if the site has been rejected, why resubmit again? To have it be rejected again?"

I really don't understand your reasoning. If a site has already been rejected, then you have nothing to lose by resubmitting it again.

No two DMOZ editors are the same. You are assuming that after two years the editor has not changed and forgetting that a new category submission isin't likely to have the same editor. After two years, there is a good chance that a sites content has changed. It is entirely possible that the SAME editor who rejected it the first time would approve it a second time. The guidelines for accepting a site are very subjective. A site might be rejected by one DMOZ editor for running adsense or having affiliate links - another wouldn't.

I'm not telling anyone what to do. I am saying what I would do. If I had a site that had been waiting over two years, I would resubmit it to another relevant category.

mjewel, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  3. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    This is totaly wrong.
    DMOZ asks you to suggest to the ONE best category.
    If you suggest your site to other categories the reviewing editor will move it to the best category. Now you will have to ´wait´ until another editor will look at the suggestion in that category. Do this often enough and some editor will notice you are spamming the directory.

You are giving some answers as if you are an editor but at the same time these answers are wrong. Like the next one

Again totaly wrong. The guidelines are clear (if an editor has questions about the guidelines he-she can ask in the internal fora). Only if a site didn´t had enough content when it was first suggested (like a forum with very few postings) it is worth suggesting it again when it has dramticaly increased the amount of content. For all other rejected sites there is almost no way to change the site in such a way it becomes worth listing.

And has been told several times. This is not a good advice. Suggest ONCE to the ONE best category. Any more suggestions can do you more harm than good.

Note. there are a few exceptions to this ONCE rule.
    . If a site is in several languages you are allowed to suggest it to all of these languages.
    . Some sites may be listed in both Regional (the city you are living) and under a Topic (what you are doing).

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    3sa likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It might help both of you to occasionally glance at your browser to see which site you're visiting. In case you hadn't noticed, this is neither DMOZ nor the Resourceless Zone. This is DigitalPoint.

You don't make the rules here. And frankly most of us don't care whether you approve of the posts here or not.

minstrel, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    petertdavis likes this.
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @minstrel

I might have phrased my post ambiguously, leading to your misunderstanding of it. I wasn't talking about rules in this forum. I was talking about the ODP attitude to bribery.

Sorry for the confusion.

jimnoble, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  6. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    Your desire to feel victimised and to demonise us is leading you to misinterpret what people are saying. Jimnoble was making use of the imperative, to be interpreted as advice not an order. Nothing he said was impolite, out of order or incorrect. You just chose to read it as such.

The hypocrisy of chastising him for making that post and following that up with 'most of us don't care whether you approve of the posts here or not' just underlines the shaky foundations on which you base your attacks.

bradley, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are you still here, bradley?

1. I don't feel victimized - I merely pointed out that what you like or don't like doesn't matter here - no one really cares.

2. I'm not demonizing anyone. In your case, I don't give you that much credit.

3. Re-read the posts in question.

minstrel, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

It would be easier to care about what you think, if DMOZ was not so corrupt. ;)

gworld, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  9. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    Man what a TERRIBLE taste you get from dmoz actions, and editors.. you ask for a fair shot at entry or even a response and info as to what you may be doing wrong and you have people who are volunteers acting like they are all high and mighty and rule an empire. Really awful when you have a as good or better resource you're trying to get entered and the editors basically make up stuff, flatter themselves about bribery (you wish) and then slam you and don't offer any advice or help..

Really sad.. you know instead you could support the members of this forum that discuss the very same thing that you are interested in, and help answer questions, maybe take a look in a que or ask a fellow editor as to what's up, or look at the site and point out a why.. as opposed to taking the low road

MountainLife, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    gworld and minstrel like this.
  10. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    look at you on your power trip, fuck you needle dick.
    thats why you got a red square here at DP.

ly2, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    gworld and minstrel like this.
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First, the suggestion about submitting more than once was a quote.

"The guidelines are clear" ROTF! Then why are there hundreds or thousands of posts on the internal board asking for clarification? The guidelines are anything but clear, but rather vague and subject to individual interpretation.

"there is almost no way to change the site in such a way it becomes worth listing"

You are saying that there is no way someone could completely change a site in a couple of years? Well, that's just plain stupid. I am an editor. I figured that if I was going to complain about it, I should at least see what is involved so I could see it from another perspective. It takes a lot more work to manage a category than I would have thought. My first category was very small, but had 25x the pending listings for review. For those who have never been an editor, it isn't as simple as a quick glance at a site and hit the accept or reject button. Nothing about it is hard, but it is time consuming and the majority of sites pending are not a sites that should be listed. Yes, there are a lot of crummy sites listed, but that doesn't mean all editors should accept a sub-par site just because someone else did. If you have a made for Adsense site and doesn't offer original content of value, your chances of getting accepted are going to be pretty slim.

You have obviously drank too much of the DMOZ kool-aid to see things in any other way other than what you have been told to think. To continue the discussion with you would be pointless. I think your statement about a site not being able to change pretty much sums up your way of thinking.

Here's a portion of the guidelines for DMOZ - The ones that are supposedly "very clear."

-------------
    Since the ODP attempts to be comprehensive and all inclusive in
    scope, it is sometimes easier to talk about the sites we don't
    include rather than the sites we do include. This section provides
    the types of sites the directory does not include.

Affiliate Marketing Schemes

What Does "Affiliate Marketing" Mean?

Revenue sharing between online advertisers/merchants and online
    publishers/salespeople,
    whereby compensation is based on
    performance
    measures, typically in the form of sales of products and services,
    clicks, registrations, or some other hybrid model. There are four
    basic types of affiliate sites: Affiliate Links, Sites Consisting
    Mostly of Affiliate Links, Affiliate Reseller Sites (aka Fraternal
    Mirrors), and Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) Independent
    Representative
    sites.

"Generally" "Mostly" "Schemes" and then they say sites with "Affiliate Links" and then "Mostly of Affiliate Links". So which is it, a site with "Affiliate Links" or "Mostly Affiliate Links".... it says both and is redundant. Ask 10 DMOZ editors to place a number or percentage on "Mostly" and you'll get 10 different answers.

There is a huge difference between a site created with an Amazon feed with no original content and an informational site that provides quality content, but also runs Adsense or affiliate links. But according to DMOZ, "the directory does not include" sites with affiliate links - or is it "Mostly" afilliate links?

mjewel, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    MountainLife, minstrel and gworld like this.
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to do this.

I do this too but it's not possible in your case, you have no link to your site in your profile and you haven't told us the URL. I can say with certainty that I listed some sites yesterday; maybe one of them was yours but I have no way of knowing. :confused: Kinda unfair of you, IMO.

Why don't you give us a break and tell us what site you're talking about if you really want to know what's up. Otherwise, it's all pointless ranting.

compostannie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  13. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    mjewel, good info thanks for giving us a little insight and a perspective from inside. And yes, at no time did i state or suggest editors time was not valueable or owed to anyone.. I just know if I were an editor and someone who seemed truly interested in getting listed, and not for spam purposes.. heck why not take a look or see what i could do ya know? Now the whole adsense thing etc i can totally understand trying to weed out spam sites..absolutely.. in my case i have no affiliate or advertising stuff on it. <shrug> Thanks for your time in posting a little clarity and another perspective.. now the both of you, compostannie if you were genuine in your post as well, then both of you change things up a bit, and the way dmoz editors can be looked at. It's sad people rant and rave and speak for everyone and make accusations..and it can really hurt a concept and reputation for everyone. I appreciate your time, as well as do the others I'm sure! All i wanted was a little advice or feedback and offered my time or what ever i could do in return since it's not fair to expect or demand people's time..
    "people" never cease to amaze me.. sometimes you'll just be wowed by what a pompous ignorant ass someone can be... and other times.. you'll stop and say "huh" that person is really nice, or really intelligent and went out of their way for me when they don't even know me.. that's really nice and rare...but it happens.. and when it does it helps to restore your faith a bit.

MountainLife, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone gave me an anonymous red with no comment for that? I don't get it. :( The poster wants info, I say I can only look if he provides a URL, then I get slammed for the offer. huh :confused:

I've listed sites found through sigs in this forum (as well as others) and have always been polite and have tried to be as helpful as possible without breaking rules. I guess I'm clueless, what am I missing?

Did MountainLife provide his URL? I didn't see it; if he did I'll go see "what's up" with it, I said I would. This isn't r-z people; yeah, sure r-z has discontined status checks but that's a privately owned forum and the decision to deny status checks applies to that forum only. Individual editors can check if we want to. Not being psychic, I'd need to be told an actual URL. A category would be helpful too. I'm also in that minority of editors who actually answer email from submitters.

This is negative? Maybe I need to drink more of the kool-aid mjewel mentioned, but I just don't get it.

compostannie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    MountainLife and Blogmaster like this.
  15. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    I sent ya a pm... comp

Man i don't know what a red is i'm assuming it's some sort of forum vote?

Just goes to show what people are like..you have a really nice guy willing to go a little above and beyond the requesated duties he's signed up for.. and a fellow non compassionate, hateful person gives u a negative strike?

Really GROW UP! if you don't want to help, or be involved, or do what you volunteered for fine.. but why on earth would you channel negative efforts, posts, votes towards someone because they are interested in helping or going above and beyond..

I never ever thought this thread would become what it did.. i was just scratching my head after a long time issue.. and this is what unfolds..Someone needs some happy pills or something

16. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Since the directory is human edited, and since the nature of categories and the types of sites listed may require different understanding of guidelines for editing, then there often can be no hard and fast rules.

In most cases for example, a forum with only 25 posts may be unacceptable. But in a very specialized category, it may be a good source of information and listable.

Sites with Adsense are permitted, however, a site whose only purpose is to drive people to ads is not allowed. There can be no fixed rule on what this is, and it is subject to editor interpretation. Sometimes this does not work well, I've seen inexperienced editors reject sites just for having a small adsence ad, and put the sites back in the pile, with a note to the editor that the decision was incorrect.

A site whose only purpose is to sell books on Amazon is not allowed, but a site that displays related links to Amazon books is fine. We just hope that most editors can make the differentation without having to be given some "magic" number.

macdesign, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  17. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI

The reds are applied to posts in this forum by selecting the Rate links in the top right and indicating why you don't like the post.

Many posters in this forum hate my guts and love to give me reds - some recent ones I got:

Just more BS... go back to selling your DMOZ listings
    [a blank one with no message]
    editors are just crooks

Doesn't bother me, it just shows the mindset of some of the regular DMOZ haters. It's very educational to see the low quality of language and the use of profanity in most of my reds

I also get greens from others who vote for my posts - and they are not all from DMOZ editors.

macdesign, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  18. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info..where do i see the ratings?

It shouldn't bother you it's a power trip i suppose for people who have no control of their lives and makes them feel big for putting someone down

I can see giving someone positive feedback rating if they were helpful.. but if u don't agree with what they said then who says u have to reply or leave negative feedback.. sometimes it's best to ignore or mind your own business...<shrug> who knows .. i give up lol

19. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    You can see your ratings by clicking the linke "User CP"

lmocr, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  20. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    oh ok i see now at the bottom.. is there a way to see them all?

i see it has points too.. what is each positive or negative worth?