1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who can help this newbie with his WP blog, you’ll be my hero.

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by TheDutchMan, Sep 20, 2007.

I hope I put this in the correct section.

Who can help this newbie with his WP blog, you’ll be my hero.

I have two questions and they might be pretty stupid since I’m new to this and only know a bit of the basics.

I’m working on the layout of a WP blog that I’m building called the www.theworldofmodernmen.com and there are two things that I would like to change before I start posting (have about 40-50 posts ready).

I also need to change things like buttons and ads but they are in the make and are now not that important. What I do like to change is this.

1. The blog looked pretty good if I may say so myself, till I installed the Blogrush widget. Now that I placed that the sidebar, the middle column moved down but only on a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 (and IE6). When I look at this at home with a smaller screen everything looks fine (with both IE7 and FF).

What can I do to fix this, I really want this widget on my blog and as you can understand I would also like to see my blog in different screen resolutions without missing the middle column.

2. The other thing is this I’m using the rocking chrome theme. The standard theme is using in the header the big letters and I don’t want it showing up on my site. I tried several things but all without any luck. I also deleted it from the WP dashboard and than it’s not showing up but if I do that than it’s not showing up in my feeds. I do realize that the site title on the front page is very important for my SEO but I also installed the all-in-one-seo-pack plugin so I hope that this would cover for the on screen disappearing of the title.

Could you please help out or give me some tips on how to handle this. Even a pointer in the right direction would be highly appreciated. I’m also curious about sites or even good books, I would love to learn more about this.

Please let me know what kind of details you need.

Thanks

Vincent

[​IMG]

TheDutchMan, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. Can you adjust the width of the widget? If so, try to decrease it and see how everything displays. Otherwise, not sure what to tell you on that one.

2. Do you want smaller letters or a logo there. If you want smaller letters look in the stylesheet and decrease the font size. If you want to replace it with a logo (you can always add the site name in the alt tag / title tag), go to your header.php file and find the following code:

<?php bloginfo('name'); ?>
    Code (markup):
    Replace it with the URL to your logo image once you've uploaded it. (That code will probably be within <a> tags linking to the homepage.)

jhmattern, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  3. TheDutchMan

TheDutchMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, first of all thank you for your assistance.

1. I’m thinking that I can’t change the width but like I’m said, I’m pretty new to this. My guess is that I need to fix the side bar code but I can easlity be wrong with that.

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
    blogrush_feed = "13269322";
    //--></script>
    <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://widget.blogrush.com/show.js">
    </script>
    Code (markup):
    2. I should have posted a printscreen of the header to, my fold. I already have a customized logo but also the name. I just want to get rid of the name.

[​IMG]

TheDutchMan, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For the header, then just find that piece of code I gave you (including the <a> tags for the link, and including the similar description tag that may follow it), and just delete them without replacing it with anything.

It sounds like you might have to change the width of your sidebar in your css file. Just increase it a little bit (and decrease the width of your main column to account for the change), and see if it works. Or, if your other column is wider, try putting the widget there. Just save the current css file before you make the changes, so you can easily go back if it doesn't work.

jhmattern, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  5. TheDutchMan

TheDutchMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay thanks for the tips! I deleted a little more than you suggested because I screwed up the lay-out a few times.

This is what I now deleted.

<h3><a href="<?php echo get_settings('home'); ?>"><?php bloginfo('name'); ?></a></h3>
    Code (markup):
    I tried several things but when I did this the result was finally what I wanted. I hope I didn’t delete too much.

I also got the sidebar figured out. I tried several sizes but I only needed to set the width to one pixel bigger and it seems fixed now.

I adjusted the width of the right column and set it on one pixel less.

I just hope everything’s is okay now and that I didn’t make it worse. I also have a problem with the lining of the right column, this only occurs with a higher screen resolution. As you can see; the search button seems a bit strange. But no worries about this. I’m giving it a try and if I can’t solve this ill open another topic here.

Thank you for helping out, I really appreciate it. You are my hero!!

BTW, I also checked out your blogs, great blogs!! All very useful topics!

As soon as I get home ill be reading (and subscribing) a little more.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Greetings

Vincent

[​IMG]

TheDutchMan, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.