1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wordpress limitations

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by scuba5794, Sep 23, 2007.

Ok i am running a wordpress site on shared hosting. how many visits per day am i limited to before i need to make the switch to some better hosting package?

I ask this because i believe i have found a niche that is going to generate a lot of traffic to my site and the site will be very image rich which might tax the server pretty bad. Any idea on my limitations?

scuba5794, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  2. r3born

r3born Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the hosting. Try contacting and asking them. If you are sure about this niche, perhaps it's better to switch to dedicated server and avoid losing potential customers.

r3born, Sep 23, 2007 IP
    RoyalSeo likes this.
  3. RoyalSeo

RoyalSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    Just let us know how much webspace you are using right now, and how much traffic you get, depending on the bandwidth, you should get how much are your needs and whether you will require better hosting in future.

RoyalSeo, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  4. scuba5794

scuba5794 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have just began to develop the site so no traffic as of yet but i really do think that it will be significant a similar website to mine is getting 60-70k unique visits a month. Not sure if this is any help. Right now i am using 1 and 1 shared hosting i get 200gigs space and 2000 gigs transfer.

scuba5794, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  5. fitforfreedom

fitforfreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Another point with a shared hosting will be, how many other sites are being hosted on "your" server and what are they? Some big forums or small, static sites mainly. This will influence the overall performance.

So, on a shared hosting, you won´t be able to give a forecast on its performance, as long as you don´t know, what the other sites on the server are and what they do.

With 60-70k uniques, I would tend to switch to a dedicated server instead.

fitforfreedom, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    scuba5794 likes this.
  6. sat123

sat123 Banned

Best Answers:
    your bandwidth and space are enough to handle this but it depends how site affects the processor of the server for your shared host else no prob..i think general sites/blogs don't consume more processor resource..so u stay in 1 and 1 shared host and when u get much revenue and increase potential take dedicated.

sat123, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    scuba5794 likes this.
  7. scuba5794

scuba5794 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for all of the input guys i will see how this develops and if needed i will upgrade to dedicated once i begin seeing some revenue. Any suggestions on dedicated hosting, looking for cheapest possible really

scuba5794, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  8. System0

System0 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will be a while before most blogs need to move to a dedicated server.

I would recommend paying for quality shared hosting rather than paying for cheap dedicated hosting. Maybe I was unlucky but the cheap dedicated servers I bought had a terrible amount of downtime.

System0, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  9. scuba5794

scuba5794 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes i absolutely do not want any down time, TIME IS MONEY!!! do you mind me asking which hosting you used so that i can try to avoid the same pitfalls?

10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    same here, especially since my dedicated hosting didn't come with any tech support (that was much more extra per month)

Pixelrage, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  11. dapyx

dapyx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    When you start having problems with your hosting (downtimes due to large amount of traffic that you are receiving), and when you start earning enough from that website so that you can afford to pay $100/month for a dedicated server, buy one! :) Until then just use the old shared server.

dapyx, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  12. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    $100/mo? I've never seen anything that low. I was paying double that for the cheapest plan I found with cpanel :(

Pixelrage, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  13. scuba5794

scuba5794 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks everyone for the opinions 100/mo wow that seems pretty expensive in order to justify that cost i would need to make an absolute minimum of around 350/month i thought you could get a dedicated for like 60/month? Perhaps i am clueless, actually when it comes to hosting i am totally clueless for the most part. I just know that i haven't crashed my website yet and i'm pretty happy with hosting because i have never had anything go wrong. But the traffic is very low right now so perhaps me problems will increase as the traffic does