1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS for City Guide Website?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by hurricane_sh, Sep 24, 2007.

I want to build a site for my city, what's the most suitable CMS for a city guide site? Thanks!

hurricane_sh, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  2. WM7

WM7 Peon

Best Answers:
    opensourcecms.com check it out.

WM7, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    hurricane_sh likes this.
  3. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a site for YOUR city is an excellent idea and i have seen very successful ones.
    typically there might be multiple parts best fitted for such a project

a flat file of dbase oriented info part for your city with all the data - addresses, numbers, etc
    dine out guide
    hotel guide
    shopping guide
    activities, recreation, sports guide ...

a photo gallery wtih high resolution pics/wallpapers/video/flash-clips from all important views of your city and the neighborhood

if for example using gallery2 software - then each photo also can be sent as eCard - a service my gallery users are using regularly to keep friends informed about where they are or plan to go ...

a blog with daily news - of course with RSS feed

a forum where city people may add info or answer questions

and where potential visitors can ask additional questions about your city

such answers then either can be replied in forum OR in modified / updated general info pages

you then may add either a video clip library about various exciting areas of your city ( discos, public places, recreational places, etc ) OR you may even add a live-camera from one or several important city views

and on all pages ATF ( Above The Fold ) you have your adsense to offer an advertising platform for your own city business
    hence you then also include adWORDS affiliate links to inspire local business to more efficiently promote their local business in your city

the most important of all
    you need to make sure YOU can easily manage and maintain/update ALL pages easily and efficiently

I do above since years for my (guest-) country most successful as an add on to my self-created content site and I have all a.m. sections included on my site - flat files, blog, gallery, wallpapers, ecards, ...

hans, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    hurricane_sh likes this.
  4. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a million for your very detailed answer, hans, that's very helpful.

I will focus on the first part at the beginning, maybe it's best to use a custom-made script. For other modules such as blog, gallery, use 3rd party script.

Thanks again for your help.

hurricane_sh, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  5. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1st part is the one attracting most basic site-visitors
    whatever - however - make it simple and easy to maintain and update

i do the 1st part usually flat files had coded and lots of pics added to the general info - ppl LOVE pics - a photo may say more than a thousand words

for my gallery i use gallery2 - open source PHP - easy to setup, to maintain and also with features that allow members to publish photos ( for example selected invited ppl from your city ) - incl RSS feeds for each album and ecards modules etc
    http://gallery.menalto.com/

Good luck

hans, Sep 24, 2007 IP