1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This NOT the end for paid or bidding directories.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by choice, Sep 23, 2007.

1. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    You've hit the nail on the head here. In my opinion, this is a factor that often gets overlooked. My advice is take a slow steady approach to site promotion; it might not turn you into millionaire overnight (if you want that, buy a lottery ticket) but in the long term, it'll come good provided you stay focused.

Boring? Yes.
    Tedious? Yes.

Welcome to the world of SEO...

deebee, Sep 23, 2007 IP
    choice likes this.
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Control Panel > Miscellaneous > Buddy/Ignore Lists. Hey I'll make you my buddy too, see what that does. :)

syted, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  3. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure about this commonly expounded theory. All 4 of my web directories are penalised but I wasn't promoting 2 of them at all for a couple of months to concentrate on the others.

syted, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  4. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally believe directories are here to stay however bidding directories are/were more of a phase in the directory industry - i think popularity of directories will remain but bidding directories will simply die out.

Just my 2 cent... :)

sabian1982, Sep 23, 2007 IP
    pctec likes this.
  5. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i think the better promoted bidding directories will be around for longer than you think

what you will see is all the smaller ones that started to make a quick buck will slowly dissappear leaving us that know what we are doing to get on with what we do best

Provide quality services to our customers..........

choice, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  6. glengara

glengara Guest

Best Answers:
    "i think the better promoted bidding directories.."

Penny seems slow to drop here, "better promoted" is what makes you a target....

glengara, Sep 23, 2007 IP
    enQuira and Instigator like this.
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Classic
    Google's being very selective. They spend a lot of time on this forum for reasons that are obvious and they are trying to tell you something. But you are not listening.

workshop, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  8. web 24 7

web 24 7 Peon

Best Answers:
    What if it is NOT building links too fast?

What if it is manual review and penalty?

The google directory police can just visit DP and look for the big networks and manually penalize.

Simple really.

Or it is just their report paid linking in effect.

web 24 7, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  9. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that Bidding Directories will die out ;) Let's wait & watch for the Google's PR update.

Red_Virus, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    We can only hope. This is the best thing Google has done since inventing the can opener. Just a pity about the turkeys that are so slow on the uptake. I believe that they are just feeding them rope. However I also worry that they will lose patience with this industry and turn the lights out for all.

workshop, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  11. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if that is the case why as only ONE of my sites been effected and all of the penalized sites WILL return

thats new to me did`nt know google invented the can opener

choice, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  12. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With what Matt Cutts wrote in another thread when people were asking about directories getting penalized, he said more about what they are approving. He menitoned that a site shouldn't just go and approve anything and everything just because money gets thrown your way sort of thing. So maybe it could have been because of the listings that were getting approved into some of them. I'm not 100% sure on this as I don't even use them penalized directories or have submitted to them, but that is what it looked as if he was on about. I would think the paid links would have also been another issue, but then again any competitor with money can go out and purchase links for your competitors sites or build links for it really quickly. So as you can see from what I have said above, you can control your outgoing links, but you can't really control your inbound links.

john269, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Lot of questions there sunshine. Confused maybe. ;)

14. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    not as confused as you workshop i mean come on fancy thinking google invented the tin opener

choice, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  15. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay so who is not a scammer or a spammer ???? A person who has 4 directory links in his signature on DigitalPoint Forums???? Or a person who has reputation beyond repute DigitalPoint Forums???? or someone with few thousand posts on the DigitalPoint Forums ???? The Internet / Internet Marketing industry is larger than you guess. IF paid and bidding web directories are so great, I wonder why i don't see people speaking on Paid / Bidding web directories in Pubcon / Search Engine Strategies and other International SEO Conferences. Try it out and let me know if they accept your speaking proposal. Or if you speak i watch out how the crowd reacts :D Why I dont see them being discussed as a SEO Technique in SEO Magazines / Blogs (Reputed ones , SEOMoz, SearchEngineWatch, SEOPedia, ShoeMoney, TechCrunch ) praising them .. wow directory wow directory like people do here in the Directories Section.

aditya_sfs, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  16. web 24 7

web 24 7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why are some big names hit with a penalty and some not?

An algorithm? Script footprint? Too many links too fast? Being too public?

Or simply they got reported and collected up in the trash can and recently someone emptied the trash.

I'm not saying they are trash its just a story. I recently plonked down $1000 + on listings to these big ones so I feel the pain.

But what is natural link building these days?

Its easy for sites that offer 'seo web services' or 'make money online'. But if i sell shoes who in hell wants to link to me and I certainly dont want to loose PR and have out links.

What to do?

Unnatural linking is all i got, free directories, blog networks, article sites, useless comments with my name hyper linked to my site. All only after PR!

Because really who in hell follows these links, do you really? - unless it is web related, make money type link.

Why are these types so popular? Because we are all looking for the secret that maybe you know that I don't, so in hope I will click to find out.

Really I might set up 'seo secrets' and 'billionaire secrets' sites - bookmark, digg, promote like mad and push it all to my shoe site.

web 24 7, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  17. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think all of you spend way too much time arguing with workshop and a few others that have crawled out of the wood-work claiming the sky is falling. Most are bitter at their own failures and jealous of others success.

There are lots of shady characters in every industry but it is quite obvious that workshop and the likes are just painting with broad strokes looking for attention. I think everyone needs to move on with their lives and face the facts when they present themselves.

Losing SERPs on keywords and then slowly recovering is 'old news', even Ministrel quoted a post from about a year ago that, that type of thing was already happening. If gooogle wanted to punish a site they would simply de-index them and leave it at that. What is probably happening is an attempt to de-value certain backlinks that are easily obtainable and they are trying to do it through their algorithm.

Gooogle and webmasters will always have a love-hate relationship because they need each other.

Even if directory links were de-valued by 50% they would still be a bargain.

jg123, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    LanceT22, choice and pctec like this.
  18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice attitude there, guess you made yourself God and the all seeing Oricle of the bidding directory world huh! :rolleyes:

Shut our mouths we know nothing? Umm, so what qualifies you more than me, or any other person on this forum regardless of whether you are for or against bidding directories?

I make it clear I can't stand them, they're a pathetic attempt at money making without any real value for the end user ( I mean the REAL customer) not the PR link buyer blah blah blah.

You open the thread as if your some kind of President making a statement to the Stock exchange trying to appease the worried masses when Black Monday happened and all was falling around them. You fail to give any real qualified comments on WHY you think there will be a recovery of the directory scene but with almost absolute certainty say the scene WILL recover, hence your use if CASE lettering. How the hell do you or anyone KNOW for CERTAIN what is going to happen? I know I don't.

Paid directories may well recover, if, and only if link farmers cut out what they are doing and bidding directories dissapear never to be seen again.

Your a million miles off the mark saying the problem is with sitewide links only, utter rubbish, read all the posts on link baiting, building, selling and so on, its all about the pure manipulation and abuse of PR and link selling.

So, in a nutshell, maybe its YOU that needs to Shut Up, stop kidding yourself, and start accepting the facts that are constantly being drummed into people like you. Or is the reality that your not making any money from the misled who think spending money on a link in a bidding directory is getting to you.

I said it once and I'll say it again, bidding directories are as useful as a pair of rubber lips on a woodpecker. :rolleyes:

But hey, its just my opinion and I don't think I'm God, looks like you adopted that position.

The Pheonix, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    popotalk, bobby9101 and enQuira like this.
  19. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    never said i was god

what my rant is at pafetic little people like you trying to put down other people

bidding directories will survive and like i said all WILL return in the serps it will just take time

once you get your head round the idea that bidding directories are for TRAFFIC not PAGERANK then we might be getting somewhere

choice, Sep 24, 2007 IP
    LanceT22 likes this.
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    So use "no follow" and no one will question your motives