1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Help

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005.

sorry double post

MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is NOT the magic key for getting good rankings. You are spending too much time worrying about something you can't do anything about.

There are sites that have been waiting for three years for review because there are not enough editors to review the sites. A lot of people submit junk and expect it to get listed which just slows down the whole process. I'm sure they don't think their site is junk, but they aren't being objective.

Make sure you submitted to the right category - you would be surprised at how many people don't. While DMOZ policy also seems to prefer passing an incorrectly submitted site onto another editor rather than just deleting it, not every editor is going to take the time to find the right category for your site.

mjewel, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  3. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    No actually i'm not this is the 3rd evening in years i have spent addressing it..i did the submit and forget it.. but it's time to address it again

It's simply something missing from my total package.. and i want it. I was very careful to submit to the right cat and where all the identical competitors were

sigh..

MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  4. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i agree, i need something done about this as well, this is f'ing retarded. there are complete JUNK sites listed in there while they refuse to review my site.

im willing to pay an editor to list a site i have, it has to do with video games and tech related stuff.. contact me on AIM @ b34nz if interested.

ly2, Nov 25, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes there is more than one category that is appropriate for a site. If it has been a year, I would just submit it to another category - you can always request a change after it is listed. A regular editor has no way of knowing if your site has been submitted to another category and is waiting to be reviewed. If your site was rejected, the editor would have been required to make a notation of the reason.

I have a site that I have been waiting almost a year to get reviewed/listed. If there is a secret handshake between editors, no one told me about it.

mjewel, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Please don't do this. If you submit a site to a category that is even remotely close to the same category the other submission was made to, it can sometimes create a situation ripe for an accidental deletion. This is when someone goes through cleaning up multiple submissions of the same URL and unintentionally deletes all of them, thinking that one was left for review.

Also, if a site is listed in one category and a request is made to move it to another category (which is also appropriate) the site can be delisted and require a second review to be relisted in the other category. This happens when the editor who processes the update request does not have permissions in the second category.

lmocr, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  7. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I would re-submit.... also have you sent the editor for the category a email? It was sugested to me to do that and it worked.

Shoemoney, Nov 25, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would still resubmit it. It's even what DMOZ policy suggests. There are categories that haven't had anyone look at them for over 3 years. If he has been waiting for years, and the category has an editor, it's probably been rejected. What would you suggest, wait another 2 years? If DMOZ doesn't want people to resubmit, then they shouldn't have gotten rid of status checks or have an auto-generated rejection letter sent out when the editor deletes the submission.

mjewel, Nov 25, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  9. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you're confusing DMOZ with some other place? Here's the instructions for suggesting a site http://www.dmoz.com/add.html - to emphasize one particular area "Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites."

To clarify - the volunteer editors at ResourceZone.com have elected to discontinue status checks. DMOZ has never given status checks, so it hasn't gotten rid of status checks. The decision by DMOZ to not have automatic rejection/acceptance letters has been discussed many times - both internally and externally. There are some good reasons to have the letter sent out, and some good reasons to not have the letter sent out. Unfortunately for the occasional site rejected in error, the reasons not to send the letter out have outweighed the reasons to send it. This issue has been discussed repeatedly in ResourceZone - I don't want to rehash it again, so if you're interested in reading about it you can search the forums there.

Yes there are categories that haven't been looked at in years, what good would it do to resubmit if the site hasn't been looked at? It would still be sitting there - and resubmitting to the same category would just overwrite the other suggestion. If someone is reviewing in date order, then the site would be even farther away from being reviewed. And if the site has been rejected, why resubmit again? To have it be rejected again? I have no idea what the status of these sites are, since I don't know the URLs - and really don't want to know (since I'm sure they're not in the areas where I edit).

lmocr, Nov 25, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Please let us know the url.
    We will be very happy to ban you, this site and all other sites you own from ever being listed in DMOZ.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  11. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Please don't follow this advice.
    You have chances to get marked as a spammer. This may result in a ban for you and all sites you own.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  12. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Please don't. You might have been lucky. But editors are advised never to reply or act on emails send to them.
    If you send me such an email very probably exactly the opposite will happen. I will review all other suggested sites before I will look at yours. I know of several other editors who do exactly the same.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  13. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not know if this is a joke, but if it is not then I must disagree. Editors should ignore these offers and do nothing more. They certainly should not ban an url, becuase: 1) the request might be coming from someone else 2) quality of a site and willingnes to pay for listing are unrelated

vlasta, Nov 26, 2005 IP
    Cricket likes this.
  14. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    It is not a joke.
    Bribary and even joking about bribary are seen as the lowest of the lowest by DMOZ editors. Ofcourse we will do some investigiation before banning sites. But believe me we are very good at these investigations. Being spammed for years and years has been a very good training.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Contrary to what some of the regulars here might believe, we have a zero tolerance policy on bribery offers.

As to joking about it, just don't OK?

jimnoble, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  16. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Welll gee pagode.. that really makes dmoz sound like a class operation...

Basically you're saying.. don't email us we don't want to have to reply, because we may or may not want to look at your site and include it or not include it based on it's worth. And if you do apply again or email us we might get ticked off and flag your site as spam...

Really outstanding way to represent dmoz

I simply asked for help to gain entry into a directory for a 100% qualified site where every single competitor in the market is listed in the applicable directory.

I find it rediculous that after 2 years I can not gain entry for a site, no email or denial email or explanation, nor a response from an editor.

There's a difference between a spammy nonsense site and one that belongs there.

When you volunteer to edit for dmoz, you accept the duties of listing sites that belong in those categories that fit the bill. 50 other sites that somehwhat less than fit the bill have gotten in. I see less and less sites get into dmoz over the years.. i think people just no longer feel like taking the time to review sites.

MountainLife, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  17. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    Damn, I think I'll have to react and I know I would not like what I am going to write.

Before I start: there is no dispute, that an editor must not accept a bribe. This discussion is not about that.

I do not perceive a webmaster offering money as the lowest of the lowest. Frustrated, badly informed, desperate, but not someone to despise. The reaction to that should be simple -> silence and ignorance. If you take any action, then you only encourage the spammer. Then they can control you, because they know your reactions to certain stimula.

An example:
    1) someone mentioned DMOZ and bribery in this thread
    2) you replied with rough statements about banning a site that may seem arrogant to a casual reader
    3) DMOZ reputation is damaged

vlasta, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  18. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    When I voluntered to edit for DMOZ there wasn´t a rule that told me to list suggested sites. And such a rule has never existed. An editor will help build the directory (the complete directory all 600.000plus categories). As DMOZ as a whole is still growing and keeps on growing faster and faster I think editors are doing what they are supposed to do.
    If you mean `i think people just no longer feel like taking the time to review suggested sites.` you might be right. In some categories the number of suggested sites that are non listable is so huge that some editors only use other ways of finding good sites.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't resubmit unless you have been told it's been rejected. Even though editors don't necessary choose the site they review in the order of submission it's likely you could be waiting even longer for the site to be listed.

I've been in DMOZ for four years, and the listing was dropped - I wasn't told why but to be honest I'm not waisting time worrying about this - the link was only PR2 anyway and it's not affected my ranking in the search engines.

Darren

DarrenC, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  20. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I don´t think so. Only the reputation of the person offering the bribe is damaged. I only showed what we do with cheats like him.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP