1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Help

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005.

I need dmoz help.. i can't get been trying with 2 urls for ages and ages.. i think it; is what's hurting me in google.. PLEASE if anyone can "help" me.. send me a pm will be reciprocated somehow

MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005 IP
    1 person likes this.
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What are you trying to say? Are you talking about getting listed with DMOZ? While a listing helps a little, it isn't going to make a big difference in your SERPS. You need backlinks from relevant sites more than a DMOZ listing.

mjewel, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  3. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes trying to get listed in dmoze for a long time, with 0 luck.. and far better quality than some of the sites currently listed <shrug>

Oh absolutely.. but it's a good size missing link for me.. and all the competitors are listed and come up well as where i don't.. been trying for well over a year.. no repsones to emails nothing..

So looking for some help getting in

4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is one of those things you submit and forget.

Shannon

Smyrl, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  5. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly what i did lol........i wonder what happened

Dekker, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  6. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    submitted and forgot many moons ago.. then again..nothing and nothing .. i need to get in

7. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    it took me 2 years to get a site into dmoz.... how long are you waiting?

Shoemoney, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  8. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    about 2 years now for one of them

9. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are not the only one who is waiting an enternity to be listed. Probably half the people on this forum have a site or sites lost somewhere in the DMOZ abyss. I myself submitted sometime back in 2004 and still await acceptance, or even rejection would be OK. Just to bring closure to the situation so I can move on with my life and pull myself together, maybe even find happiness with another directory....

EveryQuery, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    As you could have known: you will never know if a site is rejected or still waiting for review. DMOZ will not tell you this information.

Question: why can't you do exactaly the same without knowing what the status of your suggestion is in DMOZ

Please remember (and yes I know it has been told over and over)
    - DMOZ is not a listing service for webmasters
    - if a site needs a DMOZ listing to survive or to fullfill its owners needs it is already a failure

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  11. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    It's an accurate sorted through directory...

The conversation here is really giving me a bad taste about dmoz.. it get this nasty we are better than you feeling.

As an editor you signed up to review and edit that category to the best of your abilities.

Valuable sites or sites that absolutely belong in that category where every other competeing site is listed, have the same right to gain entry. Playing God with a site that fits the bill simply is not ethical, or fair.

Nobody said you had to have DMOZ it is simply a piece of the puzzle and a tool to help the public find accurate, useful sites related to their topic and to weed out spammy insignifigant sites.

I'd simply like to know why it's too much for a reason, explaination why not, or what is going on etc. And help in finding out what is needed to be fixed or done differently to gain entry.

Your time in finding this out is worth something, not a bribe in any way shape or form.. but I understand it's your time, and do not demand it.. but do appreciate it, and i'd be happy to donate my time back if i can in any way

MountainLife, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but any thread that begins the way you started this one can only end badly. An offer to "reciprocate" is not appropriate.
    I'm surprised it's taken this many posts. You offered a bribe, we take offense at that. WE are better than that, it is you who offended us.

compostannie, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  13. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    I am thinking you failed to see the sarcasm in my earlier post. It is my fault for making such a post in a DMOZ thread knowing there is that group of people, both for and against DMOZ, that are waiting for something to attack.

:rolleyes:

EveryQuery, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  14. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    Don't float your own boat there buddy.. nobody offered you a bribe..

This is a perfect example of the high and mighty god like syndrom many rogue editors decide to fall into.

More of what it meant was I understand your time is valueable, mine is extremely, and i have very little of it. If you were to take your own personal time out of your day to address my issue whether its to look at my site, or talk to someone you know who may know why it hasn't been looked at or get it looked at, i'd be willing to donate my time and efforts in any way you need to reciprocate your generous efforts of your time when you did not need to do so.

15. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    WOW. I stumbled upon the wrong thread to post to. I have seen this so many times before. Corruption, bribery, deceipt! This thread can only end badly for everyone involved.

EveryQuery, Nov 26, 2005 IP
  16. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    what? drama drama

17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    My apologies. Perhaps I misunderstood. Could you please provide an example of how such a reciprocated donation of time and efforts could possibly be appropriate? I can't think of anything but you must have something honest in mind.

18. MountainLife

Best Answers:
    I don't know honestly, anything whether it would be edting, or web help, or what not ya never know what you can do for someone utill it actually comes up. But something involving my time, as you'd be offering yours. I understand everyone expects something from you and your time for nothing, and nothing is really free in life, so the least i could do is offer my time somehow in return for you addressing my issues.. that is all I

19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    To help with editing you would need to apply to be an editor. You must read the guidelines and fill out the application. If you are accepted, you could help with editing as much as you like. The down side is that as an editor, you still can't ask for an expedited review of your site so editing may not help with what you are asking.

If I were to accept web help that would be considered accepting a bribe and I would be removed from the ODP. Even something as insignificant as providing a link to an editor's site in exchange for a review would be considered corrupt.

I disagree, many of the best things in life are free.

I still can't think of anything you can offer to do for any editor that would be considered appropriate. Please think carefully about this; if you can come up with something you'll be the first.

20. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Why would we do this for you (or for any other person). Shouldn´t we treat you all in the same way. And that is just what we do. Every time I login as an editor I decide where to edit this time and which sites to review.

But you can influence the time you have to ´wait´ a little. Some editors will look first at sites that
    1) are suggested to the correct category
    2) are suggested with a correct title (look at the DMOZ editor guidelines to understand what is good)
    3) are suggested with a correct description (again look at the guidelines)
    By proving us with good tilte and description you show us you are interested in the DMOZ and what we stand for.

pagode, Nov 26, 2005 IP