1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You are what you write

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Ajeet, Sep 20, 2007.

Hi All,

In the past I have placed a couple of "Writers Wanted" threads. Some of the people reading this might have responded to me. I do not want to be rude, so I am posting a general thread without directing it at some of the amazing responses I have received.

Very simply: if your PM / response reads like crap, no one is going to believe it when you say "professional quality writing" available. Please remember that your first writing sample is your cover letter / PM / email.

On the same note, I would say that all the posts you make on DP or elsewhere are part of your writing portfolio. If you are keen to be perceived as a good writer, please write well -- everytime.

Ajeet

Ajeet, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  2. LayLifeScience

LayLifeScience Peon

Best Answers:
    Very well said, Ajeet. ;)

LayLifeScience, Sep 20, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  3. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Nicely said, Ajeet.

With the exception of the occasional typo which we all make, a writer is advertising herself every time she posts or sends a message. At least consider a bit of punctuation or a complete sentence...:)

Rebecca

internetauthor, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    Ajeet and sachin410 like this.
  4. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh absolutely Rebecca. One can easily appreciate the difference between a quick forum post and a formal writing assignment. But, the kind of stuff I receive from some "writers" is stunning. Ranging from the offensive "give me a decent response" when they meant "hoping for a positive response" to utterly incomprehsible language, except for the phrase "professional quality articles." :)

Ajeet, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    internetauthor likes this.
  5. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL is all I could say. :D

gsv13, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  6. Courtknee

Courtknee Peon

Best Answers:
    That's so true. Writers often don't think about how they come off in posts. I know that forums are social and less formal, but I'd never outsource to a writer who can't string a sentence together in a pm.

Courtknee, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  7. sirion

sirion Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, you guys should see some of the written work I have to read being an ESL teacher. Beginner students often get very confused, and yet in their own language they are often eloquent, and of course you always have to admire someone who has grasped more than one language. Every day I meet people who speak 3 or 4 languages already and then want to learn English. If you only hear them speaking English you'd swear they had the IQ of a newt, then you get to know them and discover they invented something or wrote an award winning poem that brings tears to the eyes of anyone who reads it.

Don't be too harsh on people for whom English isn't their first language, they deserve our respect for making an effort.

On the other hand, the I'm English native langauges expert give me job birgade should just be ignores. ;-)

sirion, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  8. Analyst

Analyst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rightly said Ajeet and Rebecca, being a professional writer, each and every forum post of yours actually markets your services and in fact determines the professionalism. Though the quality of services is subjected to variety of other factors but a post or PM replying to the advertisement is your first impression that may be a last one for some people, so make the first impression a perfect one.

@sirion

I agree with you as well, giving a space to people with English as second language to learn and encourage them is good, but the discussion here was about professional writing services. This is actually not something to get harsh on, instead an honest advice to those who may have a big market in front of them and they are not getting most of it just because of the presentation.

Regards,

Analyst, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  9. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi to all,

I agree with the comments, but I also have the same 'gripe' about some buyers. I tend to be more aware of my pms than my forum posting, as I use fp as a recreational activity.

Christine

WriteResults, Sep 22, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  10. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

English is my 3rd language. And I am a published McGraw-Hill author (in English of course) and have been mentioned in the Wall Street Journal for my writing (check wsj.com) and have been part of the NYT, etc. Certainly, I do not think any less of people who have poor English. It is just the ones that say me (instead of tell me :)) that they will give me professional quality English.

agreed totally.

You have the gripe that buyers don't have good English ;)

Ajeet :)

Ajeet, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  11. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    My gripe is that some buyers should look at the way they present themselves...their English isnt a problem, after all, if they could speak great English, then they wouldn't need me ;)

Christine

WriteResults, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  12. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Probably that goes to indicate the nature of the web as a communication medium :)

Ajeet, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  13. Analyst

Analyst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Ajeet

It's really good to know that you're McGraw-Hill published. I in fact have visited the site you mentioned as well (probably read some stuff when I was doing masters and was doing my research paper). English being 2nd or 3rd language in my opinion doesn't make any difference if you claim to be 'professional'. Let's say I claim to be a professional writer with very good command over English, Urdu , Hindi or whatever the language is, and my presentation is not up to the mark, either intentionally or unintentionally, I lose the credit.

English is 3rd language for me as well and I'm quite well versed in it, both in written and spoken. Urdu as compared to English is the language I speak and interact more in, but to be very honest I can't say that I'm a professional Urdu writer. Yes, I can become one if I follow the guidelines essential for a writer. Lack of professionalism in this particular language is certainly because of the fact that I use it more in informal way, and never cared about the thing, as people round me can easily understand what I say. But when it comes to writing, a written script cannot be effective until you're able to make others understand exactly what you've in your mind. In a nut shell, a language requires different level of effort for written and spoken, and if one claims to be an expert in any language, he/she ought to exhibit excellence in that particular language.

Analyst, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  14. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I know you're being light-hearted, but I probably should point out that many clients and/or webmasters speak perfect English. They just don't like to write or can't write as quickly or as well as a professional.

There are many kinds of writers, some of which write SEO material where correct grammar and usage isn't as important (or important at all.) Others write magazine quality material or sales letters. It makes sense the range of buyers should be just as great as sellers...:cool:

internetauthor, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  15. LayLifeScience

LayLifeScience Peon

Best Answers:
    Your post reminded me of my musings just a minute ago. When I was a child, I thought that because I can write, everybody else can.

Fast forward 15 years later. I have an American friend who's smart as a whip (went to an Ivy League University and graduated with honors and all) but can't write to save her life. Once, she was requested to give a speech in front of an audience in her hometown. She immediately contacted me. I was the one who wrote her piece.

I asked her why she can't write when she's such a voracious reader. She told me that reading and writing are two different entities and that she can't write (at least not in the avenue of theses, dissertations, and scientific journal articles) no matter how hard she tried.

English, by the way, is my second language. :)

LayLifeScience, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  16. Paule

Paule Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh woe is me and all for the price of an article :eek:)

Paule

Paule, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  17. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    The comment about a buyers English was in response to the OP's comment, and was lighthearted, but thank you for pointing it out.

Christine

WriteResults, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  18. Pauline

Pauline Peon

Best Answers:
    It's funny that you actually had to make this post. That bad, huh?

Pauline, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  19. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    It was Sunday...work....post....work....post...which shall I do? ;) (bear in mind I had spent most of the morning trying to muster some excitement for my hubs new pasta making machine...)

I suppose I could go and get a life, I know I used to have one...now where did I put it?

All the best

Christine (roll on nano month!)

WriteResults, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  20. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with the first post on here. :)

The Emirates Gallastico, Sep 24, 2007 IP