1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many professional DMOZ defenders are out there?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Nov 23, 2005.

You can see these kind of DMOZ editors on every webmaster forum. As soon as there is a discussion about DMOZ anywhere, you will see these editors start to register and post in defense of DMOZ corruption.

You will notice that these people hardly post in any other thread, except defending DMOZ and attacking anybody that criticize DMOZ corruption.
    If you search on their handles in Google, you notice that same nick names is repeating itself over and over in different forums but always in DMOZ related threads.

It is very obvious that these people are not interested in forums and discussions since they hardly post at all except in DMOZ defense and it is not just a casual interest since they will participate in every forum that DMOZ is discussed which will be very time consuming. They also lose any interest in posting as soon as they quit or fired as DMOZ editors.

In light of above facts, I do think that these people are professionals and their posting in different forums is part of their job in DMOZ and I was wondering how many of these people are out there and how much do they get as compensation for all the time they spend on finding every critic about DMOZ on Internet and posting in defense of DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Come on, dude! "Professionals"? Who's paying them exactly?

Crazy_Rob, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  3. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:

They're getting payouts from webmasters who want to get listed.

Kidding. Well, I'm kidding, but I know that others would say that seriously.

torunforever, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Rofl, you know those DMOZ editors are on some high bankrolls you know, working for an open, unpaid position. Why all the conspiracy theories, considering their constantly open for applications and reject every they think might be in it to promote their own sites.

If you don't like it, or want to be put on the big bankroll, why don't you go apply. Better yet, why not apply to help with the problem instead of yapping about it.

And no, Im not an editor, and yes I hope one day all my sites are in but that just isn't gonna be a reality.

mdvaldosta, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  5. tresman

tresman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't complain on DMOZ Editors, as my 2 sites have been listed in less than a month.

But back to the topic: If I'm doing "whatever" and you complain on public forums about me, chances are that I come up in to the discussion on my defense.

tresman, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  6. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll call bullshit on the Spirit Walker, if no one else will. ;)

Test-ok, Nov 23, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Rob;

Look at the facts:

1- We have a group of people who are supposedly interested enough in Internet,web development and SEO that they search the Internet and register for this kind of forums but some of them are not even involved in IT and are professional in other fields. Finding and participating in multiple forums must take a lot of time and effort.

2- The same people who are so interested in such discussions that they actively find these forums and register, have no interest to participate in any other discussion, except DMOZ related threads.
    Just put the names of DMOZ editors like Alucard, Brizzie,.. in the advanced search function and look at all the threads that they have posted. :rolleyes:

3- As soon as they quit DMOZ, they lose the interest in the only thing that they were ever interested in, namely DMOZ. Look at the Goodbye thread by Alucard.

What do you call these kind of people? :confused:

gworld, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  8. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I don't know, gworld.

To tell you the truth, I'm not real concerned about DMOZ. And I haven't been following the "saga"- sorry. :eek:

Crazy_Rob, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  9. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Let me say, I am not now nor have ever been a DMOZ editor but do know DP has several knowledgeable posters who either currently are or have been editors in the recent past. The ones about whom I know have not come running in and joining DP to protect the name of DMOZ.

Think some of what you are seeing is the mother bear syndrom. Mother bear always rushes in to protect her cubs. Fellow from site point just rushed in to try to clear air on the pay to post issue and SitePoint's involvement.

Today I read a post by a directory owner that was complaining about all the directory spam. The size of the Internet may have grown to a point that a volunteer human edited directory is just not feasible.

Shannon

Smyrl, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'll second that call. :rolleyes:

compostannie, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  11. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    The funniest thing about Spirit Walker is of course the Auto Directory in his site http://www.tuneauto.com/

It's the link next Looking for Auomobile related web sites [spelling :p ]

Despite all his rants and raves about DMOZ and the editors, he does not hesitate to copy descriptions from DMOZ, but of course he doesn't have the moral fortitude to give attribution back to us.

In connection with that, for some reason a quote from the movie Full Metal Jacket comes to mind Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: says to Spirit Walker "bet you're the kind of guy that would...."

I'm not posting it directly here, since some may find it offensive

see http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/quotes

macdesign, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    "Spirit Walker" is just a rank here. There are many DP members with that rank. "Calling bullshit" on all of them isn't any more fair that calling all DMOZ editors corrupt ;)

minstrel, Nov 23, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  13. xman

xman Banned

Best Answers:
    how to get listed on dmoz ????

is that permanent listing ???

--xman

xman, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    True. I assumed he meant the "Spirit Walker" who started this thread. I apologize. :eek: I certainly don't mean any of the others, honest.

compostannie, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    macdesign

Have you sold any DMOZ information lately? :rolleyes:

Don't tell me that you are still pissed because I exposed the fact that you were using your editor position to get money from different webmasters and you had to remove the site from your signature. ;)

How much does it cost to buy you now? fryman was offering $500 in another thread, maybe you should take him on his offer before he changes his mind.

It must be quite profitable to be editor since with Alucard leaving, you and Annie have to work harder to do his job but I noticed that you have already called on couple of back ups to register, so may be they can help you.

By the way, I only made that site to prove a point in previous discussions I had with Alucard, search in previous threads.

gworld, Nov 23, 2005 IP
  16. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    Back on topic, I'm not sure why I defend DMOZ here. My membership predates my editorship by quite some time, and there certainly is no 'scheme' or even policy, unofficial or otherwise, to dispatch 'defenders of the faith', that I know of. Don't forget gworld, you're just a troll who hasn't made a valid point about DMOZ is quite some time no matter how hard you try.

So why do I spend time defending DMOZ? I guess it's because I spend quite a lot of time and effort editing to the best of my ability, and I won't stand idly by whilst I and others like me are called corrupt thieves. Plus, defending DMOZ is usually pretty easy, so this is fun in the way it's fun to shoot fish in a barrel. But my purpose here isn't just to defend DMOZ - that would imply I think it's flawless, which it isn't, so I'm also here for an alternative perspective on my work and that of DMOZ. That not something you provide, gworld, but don't sweat it.

bradley, Nov 24, 2005 IP
    ziandra likes this.
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    In that case, you have failed to prove your point.

compostannie, Nov 24, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Because you said so and you are so honest. :rolleyes:

List of 65 threads (403 post) by Alucard

List of 17 threads (96 post) by Brizzie

It seems they have no other interest in life, except defending DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Nov 24, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    But what does that prove, gworld?

Alucard said more than once that he had no interest in SEO and that his participation in threads at DP was (1) to try to understand why people were upset with DMOZ and (2) to try to dispel some misunderstandings about DMOZ. You may have an opinion as to whether or not he succeeded but I'm not sure why you'd attack his purpose in being here.

Brizzie hasn't been here as long but so far I am at least seeing some attempt to clarify and respond to issues and concerns addressed in these forums.

I think you're attacking the wrong people. The ones I find annoying are those who simply regurgitate the same old insulting DMOZ party line. If we want to read those again, we can go to the Resource Zone.

minstrel, Nov 24, 2005 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not attacking these people or their posting. I just find it hard to believe that people who have no interest in SEO, not interested in discussion in forums, just chose to actively find forums on the Internet about DMOZ and start to post to defend it.
    Don't you think that it is odd that these people have no other interest in life (I am not talking about SEO, look at general chat section), except DMOZ?
    I only think that if DMOZ defenders do this as part of their duty for being an editor, they should be honest about it, instead of pretending that they are doing it because they are interested.

gworld, Nov 24, 2005 IP