1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How often should I submit to DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Kaabi, Sep 17, 2007.

Right now, I've only submitted my website once to DMOZ, and although it's only been two or three weeks, I would like to know how long it usually takes for a submission to get accepted, and/or when I should resubmit.

Kaabi, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  2. Crash-test dummy

Crash-test dummy Peon

Best Answers:
    Once. That should do it 'lil donkey.

Crash-test dummy, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMNOZ is human edited and lacking editors. The amount of submissions they get on a daily basis is far too much for the current editors to process quickly. The shortest you'll wait is probably 3 months, the longest could be more than a year. Just submit your site once. Also, you won't get notification if your site has been accepted or not so just keep checking back.

Jerlene.net, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jerlene.net is right, keep checking back...but don't bother to resubmit. Do not email the editor. Do not follow any of the other tricks. It's only a Directory.... you've submitted, now forget about it, just like you've forgotten about the other directories you've tried to get into.

Qryztufre, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ...but the best;)

Anonymously, Sep 19, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Your opinion is a bit biased don't you think? I think there are higher quality ones out there that have high enough standards as to not list the filth and spam that can run abundant within the ODP...I can say they are the biggest though, but then, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it.

Qryztufre, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  7. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Just for the moment ignoring the predictable "filth and spam" Qryztufre style rhetoric, I am be curious, which general directory would you as a surfer use to find websites?

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  8. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    Right now you can use either compostannie's linksquitters or popotalk's dirsensei for search as they give good results. Very young but sure are making it to the top for quality and does not involves crap. Just to let you know. :)

Misato, Sep 19, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes they are very comprehensive resources and I am sure they are many surfers first stop for web searches. Thanks for sharing that with us.

nebuchadrezzar, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for noticing Misato, the directory is young but I'm working hard.

nebuchadrezzar, we all start somewhere, even the ODP started with it's first link. I enjoy working on a directory. Surely as a volunteer editor you can understand the fact that directory building can be a very nice hobby, so why are you bashing me?

In your opinion, would it be better if I downloaded an RDF dump from ODP and made a clone to work on?

I'm playing nice with you, can you please return the favor? :)

compostannie, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  11. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, up to a year to get reviewed? That's insane! I hope I get accepted in a shorter time than that.

Kaabi, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  12. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    The sane thing then to do is sign up as a volunteer editor and review, let's say, 100 sites a week. At the end of a year that will be 5,200 sites you have reviewed and perhaps added to DMOZ.

Alternatively, don't do that but be prepared for 5,200 site owners to call you insane for not doing it.....Same way you've called all other people not reviewing the sites you want reviewed insane.

dharmarucci, Sep 23, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried to sign up, they wouldn't let me! I remember spending awhile on the application but they never accepted me. If they're so backed up, why don't they let more people edit?!

Kaabi, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    What was the reason they gave you?

Qryztufre, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Misato - RE that friendly directory plug you just made for popotalk's directory...

It isn't exactly a secret here that Popo = Jude DeGuzman, or that Miho Creations (shown as your homepage) is also owned by Jude DeGuzman. See http://www.mihocreations.com/jude.html

Since it's standard protocol here is to slam editors for favoring sites with which they're affiliated I'd hate to see you suffer that awful fate. :)

BTW - I like the line about having "retired" from ODP. Well stated.

robjones, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your funny Mr.Jones and don't know how DP works. Well for starters I can rent your avatar or sig space for a monthly fee. How about that. I have subscribed a few here and there and if you look at the avatars of some users here or homepages it gets rented. :rolleyes:

Just letting you know of your lack of knowledge.;)

popotalk, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So I'm incorrect that there is an affiliation because Misato is only getting money from you in return for showing your site as the homepage.

Sounds like one of us needs to look up the word "affiliation". :)

18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can't control them same way that DMOZ can't control it's own editors, so what's new ? Pathetic you mention it because do yourself a favor by cleaning the SH*T out of your directory first rather than speaking about affiliations here in DP. I thought your just going to post some and leave DP and here you are running your post count and the next thing we knew your gonna be one of the posters selling the sig space. Let me know when you have 35 post or above and send me your paypal info so I can get a link in your sig or better use my directory avatar. :rolleyes:

19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh now be fair... I offered to remove your site's listings just the other day and you suddenly went mute. :)

20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Look at me. I am and never afraid to lose any listings. If it's not worth then please go ahead and make your day its a link and nothing more. Motsa has done it so theres nothing new. But I tell you this if you remove it do me a favor and consider your site as well. So it all is fair and square.